Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who rides bicycles here?

I guess I missed this thread earlier. I ride all the time - usually at least four days a week - and the last few years I've put more miles on my bikes (3000+ per year) than on my car. I love the sense of freedom and discovery, the exercise and the clarity of mind it brings me, plus I've met a great group of friends.

I currently have a couple of road bikes - a '91 Cannondale SR 600 and a '75 Raleigh Grand Prix frame (built up with modern components) - and I'm building another, a '76 Raleigh Professional, also with modern stuff.

Here's a shot of a famous bike rider that I briefly rode with earlier this year - some of you may recognize him:

164Lance-vi.jpg

I did many years ago. Still have it at my Dads in his attic. 1980 Redline Stu Thompson model. Flite cranks, bear trap pedals, Tuff neck stem. All the good stuff.

As for when I'll ride it next? Never..

I love my skateboards too much to be seen on a bicycle.

Bob

OMG, I was just looking at those Stingrays. I used to have a raleigh Chopper back in the day. Black, orange with the tall sisy bar and 5 speed. Not certain where that went.

Edited by Dragline

Jumping on this late. I have a Cannondale System 6. I ride whenever I can, did about 2500 mile this summer. Every July I ride in a charity ride for the Make-A-Wish foundation of Michigan. The ride goes from Traverse City to Chelsea, 3 days 300 miles. This year the 800+ riders raised $1,800,000 for the wish kids. The smiles on the kids faces makes every mile worth it 10 times over. I'm already looking forward to the 2012 ride.

Fred

I Bought this Trek off my older brother and fell in love with biking again. I used it every second day to bike to work in town which is 28 kilometers away. Over a few weeks during the summer I lost 19 pounds thanks to this rocket! It has carbon, titanium and aluminum goodies everywhere, the whole bike weighs in at 25 lbs!!

DSC00529.jpg

DSC00533.jpg

DSC00534.jpg

DSC00535.jpg

Edited by JesseJames

I'm gattin ready to start riding again myself.Gonna restore my old Huffy Thunder Trail bike,just so I can ride 1/4 mile wheelies again. Looked at a Raliegh Circa I-8 today for some serious riding on the Appalachain Trail and the local bike trails here.I'm just wondering if the $550 price tag is good and it comes with lifetime free maintenance at the shop.I know the whole bike is under 30 lbs,so I geuss it would be worth it. Gonna get back in shape some how. bigtim

I missed this thread earlier. I ride a 21 speed Diamondback Wildwood bike when I get time (not often, it seems). This summer I rebuilt this old Ross Barracuda. My sons found it discarded in an old stone quarry nearby about 15 years ago. It's been in our basement till now. The rear wheel was badly twisted, and the seat was junk. I found a set of wheels for free, and bought a new seat, and whitewall tires, then painted it up like a rat rod. It's fun to ride, but sucks on hills. Back in the 1960's I had a Barracuda similar to this one. I couldn't afford a Stingray!

6286369116_63ed3da104_z.jpg

I missed this thread earlier. I ride a 21 speed Diamondback Wildwood bike when I get time (not often, it seems). This summer I rebuilt this old Ross Barracuda. My sons found it discarded in an old stone quarry nearby about 15 years ago. It's been in our basement till now. The rear wheel was badly twisted, and the seat was junk. I found a set of wheels for free, and bought a new seat, and whitewall tires, then painted it up like a rat rod. It's fun to ride, but sucks on hills. Back in the 1960's I had a Barracuda similar to this one. I couldn't afford a Stingray!

That chain guard...people killed for less.

I may have posted this earlier, but here goes again:

Living where I do, and working where I do, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for me to tie up thousands of dollars in a car, not to mention the annual expenses for same. I can get to work by bike weather permitting, go pretty much wherever I want by bike in good weather, and when it's inclement, Citybus is my best friend (and my employer, a Big Ten University, pays my bus fare--and the busses have bike racks on them--great for getting up the one steep hill I would climb coming home). In addition, I LOVE biking, and have since I got my first bike at age 11 in 1955--there is a "freedom" that comes on the back of a bicycle that cannot be duplicated any other way, IMHO--the freedom of being able to go wherever there is a pathway or bikeway, street, even a sidewalk. Nothing beats the excitement of making that "wild" move from street to sidewalk or bike path, or of beating city traffic by numerous minutes by being able to take advantage of shortcuts accessible only by bike.

In addition, biking as often as possible (my parameters are temperature above 20F, no rain, no snow or ice on the ground), I've lost about 40lbs since I took it up seriously in 2007.

My ride? Iron Horse Maverick 4.2 24spd offroader, three springs, all alloy, disc brakes (and yes, I have used EVERY one of those gears at one time or another!)

ronHorseMaverick4_2OffRoadBike-vi.png

Art

In addition, I LOVE biking, and have since I got my first bike at age 11 in 1955--there is a "freedom" that comes on the back of a bicycle that cannot be duplicated any other way, IMHO--the freedom of being able to go wherever there is a pathway or bikeway, street, even a sidewalk. Nothing beats the excitement of making that "wild" move from street to sidewalk or bike path, or of beating city traffic by numerous minutes by being able to take advantage of shortcuts accessible only by bike.

Very, very true. In addition, you can just build a bike and take it out on the streets, there is no inspection, no registration, no tax, and no insurance. This, to me, is one of last true freedoms we have. And I make use of it.

Meet the Gulfstream:

003.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

I've been riding BMX since my early age for about 20 or so years, but recently I haven't seen my bike in months due to a mad working schedule and a kazzillion of other hobbies (drums, models, music production, text writing, drawing, photography, concerts, ...).

My weapons of choice through the years:

- Rog BMX - a local Slovenian company that made some pretty kewl bikes back in the days :D

- Powerlite Fireball 17

- Schwin - some big, vert and street oriented BMX, heavy as hell, but she could take oh-so-much beating ;)

- GT Compe - bought this baby in 2003 or so and she remains a part of my life ;)

I have a few bikes. The 2 I use the most are a Scott P1 Sportster and a 1972 Harley Davidson FLH. I try to and do put at least 100 miles a week on the Scott. I have a few Treks as well, but favor the Scott. Here they are. Ken .........

DSCF0845.jpg

DSCF0838.jpg

DSCF0849-1.jpg

I will add more pics soon. I am a road bike guy and don't have much money to spend and I love old 10 speeds. Perfect!

This Raleigh Olympian from about 1985 was free. This picture is from RAGBRAI - the ride across Iowa - from this past summer. I did 420 miles with it that week. I have ridden 1800 miles with it this year total. I have since added new tires, cables and Aero brake levers. I did take off the panniers, kickstand and Bell after the ride. I did manage to reach 42 miles an hour with it very briefly on a very nice hill! I have managed almost 30 on the flat for about a block!!

DSCN0308-vi.jpg

I have 2 more Raleighs, A Gitane, a Peugeot project and a Diamondback Parkway I fished out of the neighbors garbage in the alley a few years ago. Riding is fun and it really helps the fight against aging, both physically and mentally.

Here are some pics of the rest of my Fleet.

Here is my Raleigh Olympian. It is dialed in real nice. I can hop on at any time and do 30-40 miles with ease and comfort. It was free and I have over 1800 miles on it this year and maybe about 800 last year.

DSCN0753a-vi.jpg

This was my dad's 76 Raleigh Sprite 27 5 speed. It is currently torn down and will go back together as a 12 speed touring bike. I have found a lot of neat old timey NOS parts for it.

76Sprite1a-vi.jpg

I found this early 60s Gitane in a funny little charity bike shop in town that is only open Saturday and Sunday afternoons and Tuesday and Thursday evenings! It cost $42.00 and I had to strip off a child seat and about 50 spokey-dokeys! I put new tires and tubes, bartape, brake hoods and regreased all of the bearings. I cleaned up the chrome. I love the chainguard! The fenders and racks are original and color matched. I need to rewire the lights and get them working. It rides great and is a lot of fun. It has a Minneapolis bike license on it that expired in 1964.

DSCN0742a-vi.jpg

Someday this Peugeot will get built. I got the Mixte from my neighbor for free. It was his mother's and is mint. I found the men's frame on Craig's list for $50.00. My dad had one and I always loved it.

DSCN0756a-vi.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Today I hauled a load of rubbish to the local recycling park. I'm not going often, but when I'm there, I can't avoid to peep into the scrap metal container. Low and behold, I found this in it:

pic001.jpg

A bit more rummaging yielded this pouch:

pic003.jpg

It was in close proximity to the bike, hence my assumption is they got dumped at the same time and belong together.

I already have a set of tyres for it lying around (this is where my rubber fetish comes in handy):

pic002.jpg

The bike has a Sturmey Archer 3-speed, which obviously works! Even the dynamo lighting works, front and rear. The brakes work, too. I guess the only reason it got thrown out is the flat tyres.

I will replace the tyres with the ones I've shown, they are 20 x 2.125 instead of the 20 x 1.75 that are on it now. For the rest, I will just give it a thorough clean and polish, that's it.

Just getting into riding idk what possessed me to do this but I randomly dumped the money on this new 2012 3700 and when it came in I had them add a trip/speed computer and a couple other accessories .. that weekend I went on a 20 mile ride as my first time out.. (I'm way overweight so I pushed myself hard during the ride)

I've only got 30 miles on the bike since the weather turned but I'm excited to go riding next spring.

3ed2afe2.jpg