Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who rides bicycles here?

I hear you on the safety issues, Art. I had gotten a rear red taillight with LEDs at my local Dollar Store. Bright, and has different strobe settings...for $1. I use a 3 LED reading light hung around my neck for a forward view thing...doesn't help me see, but makes me be seen.

Edited by Jim Gibbons

I hear you on the safety issues, Art. I had gotten a rear red taillight with LEDs at my local Dollar Store. Bright, and has different strobe settings...for $1. I use a 3 LED reading light hung around my neck for a forward view thing...doesn't help me see, but makes me be seen.

My headlight is an older Blackburn 4-element unit, uses 4 AA batteries (alkalines work for about 9 months in this unit). It has three settings, all 4 elements full on, center ones full on with outer elements in strobe, and all 4 strobe. It throws a very usable BRIGHT beam about 250' or so out front, bright enough to make oncoming cars flash their brights at me.

Art

Well I guess I'll get in on the act too, since I know my old pal Art is a daily rider. :)

I have a Mondial from Italy. Bought it new in '72 & still going strong. It's a very light weight 10 speed with all the typical do-dads of the era. The only change is it used to be green & I painted it black many moons ago. I live near the Lehigh Valley velodrome & went to the bike shop there about 15+ years ago for some tires. It was my first time in a bike shop in a looong time & things really changed! There were no more 10 speeds & bicycles didn't cost $140 any more!! They had Cannondales for $3000 & of course many other high priced models. I'll be keeping mine for a very long time!!! :) I also have a bike similar to the one Pee Wee Herman had in the movie that I picked up at the recycling drop off. It needs total restoration but it was too cool to let go to the crusher.

That does look great!Here is my project bike. BMX frame, stripped down. Was leaning towards blue with white stripes, but I just love primer rods too much and think this will end up being a black rat rod bike! LOL. I found a vintage battery operated headlight. I have a vintage small front wheel for the front and vintage 20" white wall for the rear, both tires will be going on modern rims. I will hopefully get it to be a 18 speed. I do have a front fender for it that needes some modification for this application. I am still scrounging for a 20" rear fender for it. It will have a nanner seat on it wich I will pad and recover useing brown leather. Hope to make a PVC tool canister and cover with the same brown leather.Will make it look simular to the old oil cans, but covered. Still trying to find better handle bars as well. I have pipes for it to spice things up some. The front fork will be a stretched version of a BMX forks I think since all of the 10 speed forks are way too long in the neck area. Thanks.

019.jpg

Family217.jpg

100_3200-vi.jpg

Here is my current regular rider that I want to upgrade the gears for as well for daily riding.

038.jpg

You all have some pretty cool looking bikes. I myself do not have a bicycle now, but when I was a kid you couldnt get me off of mine. When I was in high school a friend and I had taken a small starter off of an old ford festiva and welded a chain gear on to the starter, and than we made a pretty heavy duty mount for the middle bar of the bike and mounted the chain. We made a basket on the front for the battery and all you had to do was start out down a hill and once ya got going just touch the positive to the battery every once and a while, cause if you left it connected you probably wouldnt be able to hold on. The reason you had to start out on a hill is cause we tried without the hill and you couldnt keep the bike underneath you. Any kids that are reading this PLEASE do not try this at home. BIG J

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!! there are a lot of great looking bikes.

I haven't ridden a bike in a few yrs (more like 14yrs)

Soo, I decided I need a bike again.

For transportation, Exercise and Fun.

Looked at a lot of bikes these last few weeks and it is nice that they let ya test ride

them :o

I ended up with a 2009 Specialized Rockhopper.

Took a Test ride to work today to see how long it would take and if I could do it.

6 miles in 25Min with a Great down hill to work and a PITA hill on the way home :lol:

SpecializedRockhopper2009.jpg

Got my mirror and rack on but looking for good lights still.

Edited by Zukiholic

• 1 month later...

Bikes must be addicting.

After I bought my last bike I turned into an Expert ( :D ) at work about bikes.

People started asking me all sorts of silly question I have no answers for.

A friend at work ask me to find a bike for his wife.

So I did for $37, a Huffy Mt Storm bike(yes, I lowered the set for her :lol:)

HuffyMtStorm.jpg

Ya sure get what ya pay for tho,not the greatest bike but she seems to like it.

I've replaced the brake pads and foam grips (off of my bike) and tuned it up

Then He wanted a bike so I found another one for only $25,RoadMaster MtFury bike.

I Swapped out the rear tire with one off of my bike (I swapped to more road friendly tires)

RoadMasterMtFury.jpg

Then another guy at work swapped me a Jeep Comanche Classic bike for some old Dodge truck

parts I had laying around. I thought being a JEEP bike it might be something Great, Boy was I wrong, but it was basically a free bike and fun to ride around.

JEEPCOMANCHEClASSICBIKE1.jpg

O Well, I'm on the hunt now to get me a nice Road bike like a Specialized TriCross bike.

SpecializedTriCross.jpg

hey i thought this would be appreciated by the bike crowd, this is a photo submitted by art anderson in a thread in another section. it shows a world record setting bicycle, along with the kurtis midget that shielded it from the wind as it went up near 100 mph.

anyway take a look at the photo and tell me #1 if that bike is not like the "santa cruz mystery spot" where no lines are parallel and everything kind of "escher"s in on itself??? :

LeTourneurHouseholder.jpg

look at the huge chainring...yep high gear! and a single speed rear axle, must have been fun to start rolling!

look at how the rear wheel is so jammed in the rear area that it appears to be jammed up against the downtube!

im not able to really tell if the rear wheel is larger than usual, which would multiply the high gearing from the chainring even more.

look at the little bitty front wheel and how you would be totally riding downhill even out there on the bonneville salt flats where this was taken! that chainring looks almost as large as the front wheel!

either that or like i said, the photo has some wierd perspective to it...i just cant tell! sure is a super cool bike photo though, just in case you missed it elsewhere.

I certainly would say he put a larger size tire in the rear. Notice, no brakes on the bike! There would be no way of attaching brakes on the rear! The front certainly is smaller with smaller forks. Very cool! That chain ring is something else! Wonder what that ever came off of? Yeah, would hate to have gotten that thing to start moveing! LOL.

we use to have 3 bikes one ladie's and one man's mountain bike, we sold them as I could no longer ride a bike because of my irregular heart beat but we still have an eletric bike but it don't work at the moment my wife wants to up the power from 200 watts to 600 watts which means it will need a car license to ride it and we'll have to put a reg plate on it, that doesn't cost alot of mney but still having to give the Government money for a pedal/electric bike seems just a little stupid.

Dingo :)

LeTourneurHouseholder.jpg

look at the huge chainring...yep high gear! and a single speed rear axle, must have been fun to start rolling!

look at how the rear wheel is so jammed in the rear area that it appears to be jammed up against the downtube!

im not able to really tell if the rear wheel is larger than usual, which would multiply the high gearing from the chainring even more.

look at the little bitty front wheel and how you would be totally riding downhill even out there on the bonneville salt flats where this was taken! that chainring looks almost as large as the front wheel!

either that or like i said, the photo has some weird perspective to it...i just cant tell! sure is a super cool bike photo though, just in case you missed it elsewhere.

There are a whole lot of weird perspective.

I think the pic was squished or shortened, Frame looks too short for him and his torso

looks bigger than his legs.

But dang, don't I feel weak using a 21 speed but I only use 3 rear (smaller) and 1 front (bigger) gears of it.

Does that help me ?? B)

So what do people think is a good mid-grade (under $1000) roadbike??

I'm partial to Specialized, Trek second and maybe a good ole fashion Schwinn.

• 1 year later...

I saw an American Pickers show a few weeks ago and they went to this place- I've bought a few things from them over the years. It was good to see they are still around- be warned- the same song repeats over and over...and over....I think it's the theme song from "The Dating Game" ? Look for the model car kits.

Here's some pics of a few of mine.

Oct 66 (67 model year) Coppertone deluxe stingray. I bought this bike when I was 12 at a flea market. It was in very bad shape and missing most of the correct pieces. I restored it last winter.

nova002.jpg

66 black fastback. All original except rear tire.

nova004.jpg

67 coppertone ramshorn fastback. All original except cables.

nova003.jpg

68 campus green fastback This is my rider.

nova005.jpg

68 campus green slik chik This one is for the wife.

nova006.jpg

I have a few others I'm working on and some BMX bikes I'll post later.