Model Cars Magazine Forum

Deputy Sheriff Impala

1320wayne

O.K., so I went way off the reservation on this one. I have never built a police car before, since I mainly do drag, Nascar and Mopar subjects, but this one sparked my interest after being able to find decals of a local law enforcement agency car.

The decals came from the following site. http://www.policediecastdecals.com/

They have numerous decals to offer for so many agencies (especially Florida) and their decals work very well.

My subject matter was a Revell, Easy Kit modern Chevy Impala police kit done up in Volusia County Sheriff's markings, which is the county that I live in. The kit was relatively simple, as it is merely a curbside kit, but nicely detailed nonetheless.

I replaced the kit supplied light bar with one from a diecast. I used transparent paints to paint the inside of the lights to get the red and blue colors. I added the antennas and detail painted the interior to match the real interior colors of Volusia Counties cars. I added a police radio with wired mic. along with wiring the laptop computer. I also added a bit of detail to the dash mounted camera and placed a set of photo etch sunglasses on the dash. I used the markings for the K-9 unit so naturally I had to add a dog to the back seat.

I used Black Chrome Bare Metal foil for the side windows.

One glaring mistake that I made was missing the mold line on the front bumper. It's too late to fix that now so what I have planned is to sand it down like the front end of the car has made contact with something and then to be consistent I will add subtle weathering to the rest of the exterior.

This build took less than a week to do and it was a nice break from all of the other projects that I have going on currently.

Every time I see Gregg at a show he picks at me about going outside my comfort zone every now and then. Well, here you go Gregg. I don't think it gets too far away from my norm than this.

Now, after doing this build, I'm really looking forward to the new Lindberg Dodge Charger police cars so I can build some more. Who knows, one day I may even have an entire shelf of nothing but police cars.

DSC03985-vi.jpg

DSC03984-vi.jpg

DSC03988-vi.jpg

DSC03979-vi.jpg

DSC03980-vi.jpg

DSC03993-vi.jpg

:lol:

It looks very nice indeed Wayne!

I build the very same one as a local car here.

still waiting to apply the decals, ack!) ;)

Got several of the '92 Taurus Police Units to build up as My Tactical Unit cars.

Finished one some time ago, need a windscreen to finish up the rest.

Sure is a change of pace. :D

Thank You for sharing

Later

Russ

;)