Model Cars Magazine Forum

Reissued MPC Zingers

jjsipes

YEP!!! Got them at the Detroit Autorama from Round 2. They were selling them there before the rest of the country. Very fun cool nostalgia kits. They come molded in white now, but are going to be done in Metal-psychadelic-flake. If you never had them, they are fun to build!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Were the Super Zingers ever issued? Can't say I've seen either of these, but remember having a kit that MPC called the "CB Freak." It was similar to the "Fired Up" kit shown but had a trucker talking on a CB sticking out of the cab instead of the engine. Would guess it was from the late 1970s.

Were the Super Zingers ever issued? Can't say I've seen either of these, but remember having a kit that MPC called the "CB Freak." It was similar to the "Fired Up" kit shown but had a trucker talking on a CB sticking out of the cab instead of the engine. Would guess it was from the late 1970s.

I never paid much attention to these, but I'm pretty certain the Super Zingers were issued. Someone I know who does collect these things once told me that the figure in the CB Freak was modified from the Stroker McGurk figure in one of the early MPC kits...

ISomeone I know who does collect these things once told me that the figure in the CB Freak was modified from the Stroker McGurk figure in one of the early MPC kits...

That's interesting. I was looking at pics of the Carl Casper Phone Booth kit and found pics of the (earlier?) version with the Stroker McGurk figure included.

MPCcbfreak.jpg

That's interesting. I was looking at pics of the Carl Casper Phone Booth kit and found pics of the (earlier?) version with the Stroker McGurk figure included.

I think the Casper Phone Booth kit came after the Stroker Tall T kit. Haven't had them, but assume they are related. MPC had several Stroker McGurk kits in the early days of the company. I have parts from two or three of the Ghost of the Red Baron kits....a hot rodded Fokker Tri-Plane turned into a Bonneville racer.

Didn't know about the Super Zingers. It's amazing how much stuff MPC did in a relatively short period of time.

Edited by Don Sikora II

• 6 years later...

image.png.389eb3238404fad3cf2e19770e8d4d0c.png

Here's the original Zingers that inspired the series...  as on display at the NNL Nationals last month.  

I thought the Zingers had 1/25 scale engines, along with the 1/43 scale bodies...  I remember back when they first came out as kits, Model Car Science Magazine ran a "Build a Zinger" contest.  I think I destroyed every Corgi car I owned trying to build one! 

image.png.48e31ef175367d6dba5492113c917581.png

And here's the only Zinger I own.  It's an original, I bought it at a car show for some $5 or so.   I also have the box.  I had to pin the rear wheels back onto it. Otherwise leaving it as the original builder created it!

There were full size Zingers built for promotional purposes that were shown at events across the country.  A few years ago, a dozen years or maybe even 20 years ago...  they came up to auction.  At the time I thought it would be pretty darn cool to own one of those!

Edited by Tom Geiger

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Daddyfink said:

Don't forget this forgettable version. 

I hope Angus Young received royalty payments for MPC using his likeness. 😐

Really a good example of how kit manufacturers will attempt to minimize investment and maximize profit by turning something old into something new. No crime in that, but sometimes the damage is irreversible, and in hindsight, unforgivable. 

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Really a good example of how kit manufacturers will attempt to minimize investment and maximize profit by turning something old into something new. No crime in that, but sometimes the damage is irreversible, and in hindsight, unforgivable. 

Modified from what? Zingers were 1/43 ish bodies with 1/25 scale engines. I believe they were tooled fresh.

MPC even commissioned 1:1s of a few of these for promotional purposes, they still exist.