Model Cars Magazine Forum

Specific monster truck - help wanted

Hi guys

I have been trying to find the name and some pics, of a certain monster truck I remember seeing, some years ago in tv.

Well, monster TRUCK is maybe not the correct word, since it was a locomotive, and it ran - not on wheels - but on belts. I think it was built over the chassis of a Sherman tank.

The body was an old style locomotive, and it was orange....

Can any of you guys help with a name, a website, and/or pics? It was way cool....

Thanks a lot :P

You might be thinking the Bigfoot Fastrax, M48 personnel carrier chassis with two Ford 460ci engines and C6 automatic transmissions. The body is the upper half of a fiberglass replica of a 1990 Aerostar.

8x10ft2_400.jpg

Monstertrucks164.jpg

Saw Dan Runte drive...fly this sucker......WOW...30 ' in the air!!!

Based on the tracks I'd guess it was built on an M3 or M5 aka the Stuart a WW2 light tank. This tank has a fairly distinctive track set up like that shown in the OBE photo, it is definately not an M4 Sherman which has a very different set up.

Edited by Aaronw

They probably used the high-speed tractor, less armour to get rid of. This could be done in one of the 'military' scales, I would opt for 1/16 or even better, for these tired old eyes, 1/6!

Edited by DanielG

They probably used the high-speed tractor, less armour to get rid of. This could be done in one of the 'military' scales, I would opt for 1/16 or even better, for these tired old eyes, 1/6!

You are probably right, the M4 tractor was based on the M2 light tank, just like the M3/M5. Looking at both the M3/M5 has 3 return rollers, the M4 tractor only has two like the truck in the photo. Hobbyboss recently released a 1/35 kit of the M4 high speed tractor.