Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 Ford Roadster JWAC build up

Jairus

29Roadsterbuildoff-vi.jpg

This is the car that I am constructing for this build off: A traditional 1929 Ford roadster on deuce rails with a Caddy powerplant.

The drawing was originally produced for Revell back in 2002 for a series of 1:64th scale diecast cars called "Rat Rods". There were 9 designs total and I received the chance to illustrate not only the blistercard art but create even the tampo prints and choose all the colors applied. So to build a 1/25th version is sort of exciting to me.

P1010148-vi.jpg

This is the one and only of this series that does NOT have white wall tires.

White wall tires were a premium prior to the the war and considered an extravagance during.

After the war wide whites were relegated to customs and eventually fell out of favor only to be reborn during the 90's nostalgia craze. But the truth is that very few hot rods built 1946 to 1959 used wide white wall tires due to the cost. Especially the cars called Rat Rods!

Ed Sexton, product mgr at Revell then was a little miffed that I wanted to do even ONE of his cars with black wall tires! This I believe was because of the greater cost it required to create the white wall tire in the first place.

Okay, back to the build.

A few years ago I started a thread called.. "the conservative rat". This was a response to Gregg cracking down on political speech in this forum. Mark and a few other liberals were going to build like vehicles. (Think Marks was to be a Corvair something or other) At any rate that died down but the body work on the AMT '29 did not.

P1010326-vi.jpg

The floor of the body was cut out from between the fender molded piece and attached directly to the '29 body. This makes the body a one piece unit and that is step #1.

Step #2 is a little harder in that I need a 1/25th scale set of frame rails.

AMT bits take the stage as the molded in floor and exhaust pipes are removed....

P1010130-vi.jpg

...and the rails behind the axle added using evergreen strips.

P1010131-vi.jpg

A lot of sanding later and the addition of a '29 Model "A" rear crossmember...

P1010135-vi.jpg

... things are starting to look like something!

:rolleyes:

Edited by Jairus

The AMT 29 Ford just never hits my radar as a buildable kit. Sure I have a couple in my stash but they're ignored. This buildup is likely to change that. Curious question why didn't you use either the Revell 29 Ford pick-up chassis or the 32 Ford?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, because neither of those kits had the right parts. Revell never made a '29 Roadster body only a pickup and the pickup roadster is not in the picture. (dang...)

The only thing that might have been easier would be to use a Revell 32 set of frame rails... but didn't have. Besides, they are 1/24 and would have been too long and too wide where as the little '29 body fits on the 1/25th AMT rails perfect!

P1010138-vi.jpg

Edited by Jairus

P1010137-vi.jpg

Frame fits well but had to cut a hole in the sheet metal for the Model-A rear spring pirch. That is an old hot rodder trick by the way. The spring on an early Model A was located higher than the '32 model B so this effectively lowered the rearend and the whole car sat lower with-out having to "Z" the frame. For this build I am doing it the Rat Rodders way by keeping it simple.

P1010139-vi.jpg

Edited by Jairus

After a bit of soul searching and parts searching I discovered that the rear cross-member might be Model A and from a '29 Revell frame. (Came out of a scrap box of bits) My bad.

The idea for this tip came from a copy of Hot Rod Yearbook No.14. The car was built by Dick "Magoo" Magugorac, a '29 on '32 rails, where he replaced the front and rear cross-members for a more lowered look.

When I read that in 1973 I assumed the cross-members were Model T but were indeed Model A placed onto a Model B set of frame rails. I have been doing this trick since '73 but miss labeled the cross members earlier in this thread as being from a Model T. That is unless they are from a '27 or '28 frame because that would/could make them the same or very similar as a '29 Model A. Soooo sorry for the confusion.

Jody, the Diecasts were called Rat RodsTM. Yeah, Revell copywrited the term! Had long talks with Ed over the phone regarding where the term originally came from. Eventually they released them as Revell RatRods and that is how to search for them on eBay. There is a total of 12 individual cars/designs, but I only worked on the last 9. The first three were not well received but I think they are nice enough. Actually, I think the whole set are very beautifully made, but they are not Rat Rods in MHO! Rat Rods need to look dirty, scratchy, messy, dangerous and unfinished! A project in progress if you will. My build will end up looking like the illustration... mostly. But deeper down there will be a rusted out floor, dents, scratched paint and greasy hand prints here and there. Because that is what a Rat is suppose to be!

Oh and there will be no skulls on my Rat! :angry:

Worked till midnight last night and made some good progress. Put on a spreader bar, motor mounts, transmission tailpiece and some front shock mounts. Here is a frame mockup. The front and rear axles are Revell early "A" and probably from the '31. The quick change same but I replaced the rear gear cover with one that actually HAD some detail.

P1010149-vi.jpg

Next up is the steering box, master cylinder and rear shock mounts then brake lines and finally paint!

With the body in place.

P1010155-vi.jpg

Norm sent me a set of carb scoops for this project... thanks Normie! Replica's and Miniatures has always been one of the best for quality and customer service!

But, going to have to break out the Alclad for those eventually, but first the plumbing and linkage for all six 97's will mostlikely have me addlepated! :huh:

P1010146-vi.jpg

B)

Sorry, not much work on the Roadster last night. Did create a little linkage for the brake master cylinder... but been busy getting these two little Ferrari's ready to mail. They are going to Turin Italy for the 21st Slot car show beginning of May.

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=44461

The theme there is "Ford vs. Ferrari". Ralph Klose and I have been working together for 6 months on these projects and a bunch of pictures can be found on my Fotki if anyone cares.

http://public.fotki.com/jairus/slotcars/ralphs-dinos/

The little Spyder features a hand made brass rod chassis with a rewound Mubuchi motor. The 1/24th coupe is a vintage Cox restored from an eBay find, brought back to full glory with NOS rubber tires. I still have to fab a set of exhaust pipes (aluminum tube) and a set of head light covers (vac-form) but the 1/32 car is DONE!

P1010164-vi.jpg

After mailing via UPS to Germany... I plan to get the decks clear and finish that '29 toot-sweet! (time for Worship service....) :lol:

Don't know why I havent found this till now. I remember liking the rendering. Nice and simple, not too trick and I really like the 29 on 32 rails! thanks for the tip on the cross members. It is shaping up nicely and can't wait to see updates.

Mike