Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970-72 Chevy Cheyenne Dual Cab Crew Cab

Tumbler75

Ok, Let's get this shindig rollin' shall we? I am honoured to do this truck. It's been a project I've wanted to tackle for many years but too scared to do it, UNTIL now! I feel my skills are strong enough to pull this off now. So, with that said, let the fun begin! Modellers, Start Your DREMELS!!!! :lol:

The Illustration of Inspiration:

70sportcrew-vi.jpg

The Beginnings of the Model:

DSCF4369.jpg

DSCF4370.jpg

DSCF4371.jpg

The other 72 Cheyenne kit is behind the illustration I printed off for reference. I'm using Pegasus 19" and 23" Torq's (rear having lower profile rubber than the front) and 19" Discs. I've started figuring up where the cuts need to be made. With that said, it's back to the desk and start cutting up some plastic!! Enjoy! :)

Edited by Tumbler75

HI Jason!!!

This looks like a good start. I have my own JWC car to build (29 Ford Woody - Calendar car).....but I will be very interested to see how your truck progresses. This is one of those builds that will just look great when its done......keep moving forward....thanks for posting this....I really like it.

Regards Bill (Duntov)

Thanx for the encouragement! Jairus I'm going with Two Cabs jus' in case I mess somethin' up I got a li'l bit of back up. LoL

Well wait no more for a li'l bit of an update! I sat here till 3:15pm after starting around 10am working on the bed. I can't find my dremel!! :rolleyes: SO! I eyeball engineered everything and I'm actually quite happy with it! Once the bed dries completely I'll get better pics of it. Here's pics! :(

DSCF4372.jpg

DSCF4373.jpg

More to come hopefully soon! Enjoy!! :)

Well, I got the basics done of the conversion. Now it's time to start all the bodywork and move along to the frame, motor, and such. Nothin's been glued as of yet but will be soon. I cut it as li'l as possible so I didn't make any mistakes (as I've only got two of these kits and nothing as a backup), but enough chatter. Here's the pics.

DSCF4374.jpg

DSCF4375.jpg

DSCF4376.jpg

DSCF4377.jpg

DSCF4378.jpg

Enjoy! :(

Thanx guys for the encouragement! I am havin' a blast!!

Martha, I think he's got it! :)

:lol::lol: Thanx Jairus! Now comes the fun part, bodywork!! LoL

i love it man. keep it up what kinda of motor you putting into it

Engine choice?? I believe I'm going to try and squeeze an elephant in a bug type trick here. See if I can put a Corvette Z06 engine w/ a TH400 Tranny behind it. :lol::o:blink: Again thanx for the encouragement. :lol:

OK boy both of you got to get done. that is a great looking truck that Ihave been thinking do of a master for one of two resin caster. both of you have great starts and look right.keep up the good work. and get them finshed. the man did great drawning. now make it come to life. I have done three of his cars from MCM calendars. will be checking on how there coming. PAPAFO :)

I'm still fussin' with the fit of the rear doors to the front ones. I'm jus' about there and fixin' to start making the styrene headliner "ring" as one of the 5 support structures for this build. The bed fell apart and I had to reglue everything ( Old glue didn't hold, bought new glue and it's permenantly in place ). Still gotta do the "rocker panel" connecting styrene strips and start working on filling in the gap between the two roof sections.

Today is my birthday and I'm taking a break as I gotta meet my agent (bought a house), go get the roommate from work, and pick up my kitten this afternoon. Plus I'm running out or room to work as we are packing up the house. I'll have progress pics soon. :angry:

Thanx guys for the encouragement! I am havin' a blast!!

laugh.giflaugh.gif Thanx Jairus! Now comes the fun part, bodywork!! LoL

Engine choice?? I believe I'm going to try and squeeze an elephant in a bug type trick here. See if I can put a Corvette Z06 engine w/ a TH400 Tranny behind it. laugh.gifohmy.gifblink.gif Again thanx for the encouragement. cool.gif

Why stop with the motor from the Z06 go with the six speed and axle and rear suspension...It is just a few cuts......

I did that on this Cameo...both front and rear clips and the motor,rad,intake. You can extend the drivetrain with aluminum tubing...

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg

I like the Idea allthough despite popular beleifs a Company took brandnew Chevy and GMC and converted them.

While not common due to the low numbers that were done, there were companies that did convert Chevy and GM trucks to 3 and 4 door cabs before GM added a 4 door cab to their option list in '73. Most of the buyers were railroad, construction, and lumber outfits, and the trucks were built to order, usually sent as a bare chassis to the conversion company. Other brands were converted the same way. IH was the first to offer a 4 door cab, with a long, short, or extra short (Travelette) sizes in the mid-'50s. Dodge followed in the '60s. Not 100% sure when Ford added it, but GM didn't offer one until '73.

While not common due to the low numbers that were done, there were companies that did convert Chevy and GM trucks to 3 and 4 door cabs before GM added a 4 door cab to their option list in '73. Most of the buyers were railroad, construction, and lumber outfits, and the trucks were built to order, usually sent as a bare chassis to the conversion company. Other brands were converted the same way. IH was the first to offer a 4 door cab, with a long, short, or extra short (Travelette) sizes in the mid-'50s. Dodge followed in the '60s. Not 100% sure when Ford added it, but GM didn't offer one until '73.

Ford added the 4 door cab and SuperCabs both in '73.

The cab on this truck isn't what gets me, though. The cab doesn't look too far out of the norm. It's the bed. I remember seeing quite a few of this style truck (primarily Japanese) in South America in 1979. All 4 doors, with the wheel wells being the start of the bed. I thought they were pretty cool then.