Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Galaxie Ltd. '46 - '48 Chevrolet Aerosedan

MikeMc

You may not have been able to find it in your LHS, but this kit and the others Galaxie Limited makes (sedan delivery, dragster, and trailers) have always been available directly from them via their website.

Edited by niteowl7710

a new version of this car will be out in the fall as a five window coupe. I got that from a very reliable source while at a Buick car show/Lionel train exhibit Sunday.

Fall of 2012? :D Regardless of when, it's good to see Galaxie Ltd. putting out something new, or at least a modified reissue...though a '41 Chevy coupe would be a nice "next" version.

http://www.modelcars...7316&hl=galaxie

It's my day off, and I just found this thread. Read all 10 pages. I had thought about this one for awhile, but now it's definitley on my 'must have' list. The fact that it has a detailed Blue Flame 6 is enough for me. And I probably won't build it for several years but I'll have it :)

Guest Johnny

Hmmm...got to worry about losing parts in the loo or sink, though... I've learned from experience not to open kits on the sofa or bed, because parts disappear on their own or the furkids abscond with them...

In the loo??? Did you swallow those parts???? :lol:

bbowser: the six is really nice on this kit. Everything is really nice.

The Stovebolt could almost be displayed as its own model. I must agree, it's a beautiful molding.

I have both bodies and I'm looking forward to the sport coupe due out later this year.

Now, if Galaxie would do a 1941 model, which I think is a really pretty car.

Charlie Larkin

I thought they were going to do the Coupe & Convertible bodies with 40/41 style front clips giving us

the option to combine all 4 kits to build all body styles for all years.

That was the report back when the 2 48's were first announced.

• 6 months later...

I have a half dozen or so of each one of these, & every time I pack for NNL West, I throw a couple in, but usually when I get there I think "what if these go the way of other great Chevy kits & disappear forever in some dusty storage facility" (like my garage)? & put them back in the "keep" pile, someday I will build a couple. (I can't say what my wife says about that, moderators you know)

Edited by horsepower

I thought they were going to do the Coupe & Convertible bodies with 40/41 style front clips giving us

the option to combine all 4 kits to build all body styles for all years.

That was the report back when the 2 48's were first announced.

I imagine budget concerns didn't let him to do all of the orignaly intended new tooling.

I went back and read all 10 pages of this thread and all of the intense discussions regarding the desirability of this kit and here is my take. I'm a Mopar guy at heart but to me it doesn't matter who the automaker is, when you see something that strikes interest, you go after it. I didn't realize when this kit first came out until reading this thread, simply because it wasn't something that I was looking for/waiting for when it was first released. But, sometime around mid 2002 I saw a picture of a car in an issue of Street Rodder magazine and had to run right out and pick up one of these kits as I wanted to attempt to build a replica of what I saw.

Here is the real car.

1948Chevroletvi-vi.jpg

With a lot of kitbashing, styrene and filler I was able to come up with this. Not a true replica but I had so much fun creating it. The point to my response here is simple. If not for this motivation to replicate this real car I would have missed out on a very nicely detailed and designed kit. So much so that I had to go out and purchase a few more. Granted, I haven't built any of them since but then again, I have over 400 models that I haven't found the time to build yet either.

DSC02238-vi.jpg

DSC02235-vi.jpg

DSC02236-vi.jpg

I won the sedan delivery kit with the complimentary raffle ticket I got with my show entry at the OSSM show in Clackamas a couple of years back, I also recently completed the Aerosedan, but haven't had a chance to take any finished pics

48Chevy1.JPG

I dechromed the carbs and intake manifold and metalized them:

48ChevyMotor1.JPG

The interior was kept pretty simple- the white is just the primer:

48ChevyInterior2.JPG

Body color painted and kit decals applied- I ended up not liking the ones on the skirts so I nixed 'em:

48Chevy2.JPG

48Chevy3.JPG

Finished:

46ChevySedanDelivery1.JPG

I attached the front fenders before painting the body on the Sedan Delivery, and followed the instructions on the Aerosedan- if I build another one I'll probably attach the fenders first, it seemed to turn out better that way although it was a little more work to wetsand. I also cut the top end of the front spindles so they would install "deeper" in the upper suspension arms, whose mounting points were also raised slightly on the Aerosedan so it would sit lower.

They are great kits and well-worth building, but I did notice a couple of problems, the one that comes to mind is the chrome headlight bezels on both kits had sinks in the tops that were pretty noticeable- on the Sedan Delivery I stripped them and used some Mr. White putty to fill the low parts, then metalized them and buffed them out. I left the ones on the Aerosedan chrome as I was trying to finish it in time for a contest, which I did... at 4:45AM the day of the meet where it won 1st place in Box Stock class, sitting there gassing out paint fumes :D

-Mike