Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peterbilt 378 Long Hauler

I was just checking my local model shop web site and came across an Italeri 1/24 Pete 378 kit I have not seen before. Thought I would share it with the rest of the forum.

http://www.emodels.co.uk/plastic-kits/italeri-peterbilt-long-hauler-3857-p-23565.html?osCsid=392418fdc54d90c02ae85fe150d82176

Dave

Edited by mackinac359

Dave

That is the new 378 that Italeri have /will be releasing, looks more like this though

http://www.italeri.com/NewsImgs/DOC_NEWS_000036.pdf

Thanks, too, Tony. I checked the link you put up, it said "Coming Soon", but I also checked the regular website and didn't see that one listed yet, but definitely will be looking for it!

The kit is the corrected version of the original 378 kit. It contains the correct style sleeper (Unibilt 63" stand-up sourced from the 377 tooling) along with quarter fenders and a new decal sheet that features a stripe and new instrument panel decal correcting the old decal.

The box features an incorrect truck photo on the cover - a 379. The kit is not a 379, it IS a 378.

The US importer's retail price is $92. Their retail price is always higher than the price of the on-line stores.

Tim

Whoa! The photo on the emodels page is way off from what the kit will be. That photo is 100% wrong. Don't go by that pic at all.

Again, the truck is a 378 with a 63" stand-up sleeper.

Tim

I was just checking my local model shop web site and came across an Italeri 1/24 Pete 378 kit I have not seen before. Thought I would share it with the rest of the forum.

http://www.emodels.co.uk/plastic-kits/italeri-peterbilt-long-hauler-3857-p-23565.html?osCsid=392418fdc54d90c02ae85fe150d82176

Dave

Dave

That is the new 378 that Italeri have /will be releasing, looks more like this though

http://www.italeri.com/NewsImgs/DOC_NEWS_000036.pdf

i think i know what ima saving up for.. i promisefd if a cab and sleepr combo cam out like that id get it.. and it looks more like a 379, becasue the hood aint sloped... :wub:;) ;) :D :D :D :D :D

edit: i didnt rear evry thing lol! sorry!

Edited by 69_charger

They must be out on a limited basis my cousin said he bought one from a shop in Quebec cost $78 usd for the kit and $15 usd to ship it. I told him to send me photos when he gets it I will post them soon as I get them. The suspense is nagging me more than my "better half"

Well its cool n all but Id rather buy the two kits they have for a bit more money and end up with extra parts and such.I do like the stripes in the kit, but its like buying the two and using parts from each.I was kinda hopin theyd do sumthin differant.Im not complaining though its still cool.At least there is a new kit out soon. :rolleyes:

This kit should be at your USA retailer today.

The kit features:

White molded cab/ 378 hood/sleeper

Black molded frame/suspension.

63" raised roof Unibilt sleeper.

Chrome quarter fenders.

Fresh decal sheet with silver and red stripes, Great Lakes Motor Transport door signs,

A new accurate dash decal, more accurate chassis warning decals,

updated instructions.

There is a drawing error on the sleeper instructions, the drawing shows the sleeper extensions

mounted backwards at the bottom, but correct at the top of the piece.

The chrome looks very smooth and blemish free.

Aside from the photo on the box being the wrong model truck, the kit is very nice and will

build into a perfect 378.

Let the building begin!

Tim

Here is the new version of the 378 kit.

New Box

LongHaulerboxcover42110.jpg

The small sleeper (Freightliner) cab box

ITALERI748SMALL.JPG

LongHaulersprues42110.jpg

LongHaulersprue2421010.jpg

LongHaulerdecals42110.jpg

LongHauler_Dash_Decal.jpg

The original version of the 378 had an incorrect Freightliner 34" sleeper and sleeper mount, no quarter fenders and

the dash decal was inaccurate.

The new kit has a Peterbilt UniBilt 63" sleeper with sleeper extenders, grab handles for the back of the sleeper,

chrome plated quarter fenders and a new decal.

This sleeper makes the kit much more accurate than the original version.

Here is the brochure the box cover photo came from:

originalconceptLongHauler.jpg

I'm sure various retailers will have lower prices than the suggested retail price. Is the kit 'worth it?' That depends

on your point of view and how thick your wallet is. This kit has 9 trees of parts and a larger decal sheet. The older version

has 7 trees.

You could buy both the 377 and the older 378 and have spare parts, but then you're dealing with red and white plastic parts which is a problem for many builders.

I am told that there will be a price increase in June. Kits aren't getting cheaper! :lol:

Tim

I just bought (2) of these from diecastbestprices in the UK. $120.12 USD shipped to my door for the both of them. They commented in one of our emails that these "American" trucks were not that popular over there but they had to take some from Italeri for good relations. I will post pics when I get them. I plan on hooking one up with a Revell car transport trailer to display my car models, would like to hook the other one up to a lowboy and maybe put a couple of the other tractors I have built on it.

This is great news! I've been wanting to build an updated version of my dad's rig for sometime, and now I've got a better starting point. I was unaware the old issue had a Freightliner sleeper. My first version of my dads truck isn't all that accurate except for paint, but with this I'll be able to do it justice.

Tim, don't you have a procedure for converting this into a 379-119? That's what my dads truck is. The last time I built it, I did it OOB due to my limited skills, but I think I've got what it takes to pull it off now. I'll also need to shorten the sleeper down to a 48" unibilt to complete the conversion.