Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/24 Aston Martin DBS

slant6

Well, this got me off my okole

I am going to start, or try to start, new online photo reviews of the new kits.

The format will probably change, but for now, this is a start:

MCM Reviews

Hey Gregg,this is a great start to a much needed segment of our forum.Whenever a new or reissue is out,I know a lot of modelers would love to see this type of review.

Word got around yesterday that somewhere on the Tamiya website (in Japanese) that the release date was pushed to May 22; probably right after the Shizouka show.

I hate it for y'all.

My DBS looks pretty sharp in Tamiya TS-85 Bright Mica Red (Ferrari F60 F1 colour) B)

Sacrilege, perhaps...but it sure looks right B)

Word got around yesterday that somewhere on the Tamiya website (in Japanese) that the release date was pushed to May 22; probably right after the Shizouka show.

I hate it for y'all.

My DBS looks pretty sharp in Tamiya TS-85 Bright Mica Red (Ferrari F60 F1 colour) B)

Sacrilege, perhaps...but it sure looks right ;)

well that gives me another month to save more funds to buy it, plus maybe my wheels will be in as well(aoshima bbs's)

guess i need to visit my local hobby shop and find some of that paint..i've got a use for it.

Sorry to say it does not.

What is visible under the hood is done quite well, but they have not tooled up parts that would be invisible when the model is built.

Bob. thanks for the quick response.

I find the omission of a complete engine by Tamiay to be inexcusable.

Sorry to be old school on this, but the engine is a huge part of the Aston Martin brand and experience. A case of a model car company truly misunderstanding the core brand DNA of the subject they are reproducing.

That's my view and I'm not changing it.

TIM

does the kit have solid metal axles too?

Dave

No wire axles.

A lot of supercars/exotics have been kitted by the Japanese as curbsides. This one, when built, will look full-detail, even with the hood open. Works for me; won't work for anyone who wants an engine-on-a-stand for a diorama or to put the engine in a hot rod. Fujimi has had no problem selling Ferrari and Lamborghini models with either zero engine detail or "just what is visible" like this Aston Martin. Aoshima's SL63 AMG has a crazy looking engine "block" that looks comically inaccurate outside the model. Assembled and installed and paint-detailed, it looks amazing (remembering that modern cars like these have very tightly packaged powerplants and many aesthetic covers; not nearly as much open space underhood as a vintage car, and a lot less chaotic looking). Again, works for me, but perhaps not for others. I can't think of many people buying expensive Japanese kits for engine swaps. While I understand and respect how some people will be put off by not having a prototypical engine, the fact that they do make what is visible look like it's complete is what matters to me and lets me build a detailed model without quite as much effort. I don't think it's a fatal flaw for Tamiya to not include an engine, but others may come to a different conclusion and I can certainly respect that.

In some respects Tamiya is listening to critics; they went from wire axles and a very simple chassis on the 350Z to a much more detailed (with steering) setup on the 370Z. Though it does have a wire axle in back...but that doesn't really bother me since I'm not a U-joint or CV-joint snob B)

The GTR has steerable wheels and a wire axle in back.

They also have quit the "metal chassis" nonsense on newly-tooled kits. The newly-revised SLR 722 still has the metal chassis, but the chassis design on the 1:1 makes it easy to substitute on the model w/o much visual compromise, aside from the separate panels that install over the screws to hide them.

Maybe they'll go back to full engines, if they get enough flack about the simplified setups they've put in the GTR and the DBS. Or if perhaps their competition forces them to.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really diggin' mine, all told, but my biggest issue ultimately doesn't concern axles or complete engines so much.

It has to do with the lack of any radiator/core support detail.

How this pans out from the engine bay, I won't be able to determine till I've built mine or until Bob comments on that specifically. But have a look at the photo model on the instruction sheet, and you'll see for sure what you begin to suspect in your initial mock-up: that nice little little photoetched lower grille screen gives you a straight-on view of the boss you glue in to screw the front of the chassis down.

After dealing with several recent Fujimi and Aoshima kits which are sure to back their see-thru screens with some kind of detail, that's the most serious letdown in this kit for me.