Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fox Chassis (Ford) community build anyone?

whale392

i'd love to have a good LX coupe body from someone other than Reliable resin. i have the old All American coupe and it's pretty bad and will probably never finish it. i heard that the AFX coupe was based off the AAM body and had some issues fixed but still has problems. it would be nice to see a company like Dencon or Bandit resins offer an LX coupe.

Dave

Personally, I can't understand why none of the manufacturers have ever kitted one. Seems like a no-brainer, especially with the potential for marketing an SSP version to the emergency vehicle crowd and the fact that half the field at any drag race seems to be Fox coupes. Though I'd prefer a new chassis (especially the engine bay), Revell could tool up a coupe using the existing Cobra underpinnings and sell a million of them. I know of one guy who'd probably buy a hundred of them, and I'm not exaggerating.

Well I got paint on my body today...Gulf Blue. I bought the Motorcraft GTO Mustang, but I plan to do it up as a Gulf sponsored car. I'll let it dry a few days before I tape off the orange stripe and paint that too. I still have to decide how wide to do the stripe and I keep waffling back and forth between a thick one or a tinner one like on the 917. Maybe I;ll meet in the middle.

Pics soon....

I bought the Motorcraft GTO Mustang, but I plan to do it up as a Gulf sponsored car. I'll let it dry a few days before I tape off the orange stripe and paint that too. I still have to decide how wide to do the stripe and I keep waffling back and forth between a thick one or a tinner one like on the 917. Maybe I;ll meet in the middle.

There were quite a few Ford GT40s in Gulf colors, too, with quite a bit of variation in the paint schemes. That may be something else to look into.

Looking good.

You guys are keeping me motivated on my 2 (yes, I will post some more picture progress when my cameras memory has enough pics to warrent a download). Thanks for the updates!

Edited by whale392

All right; if anybody is still viewing this thread I have up-to-the-minute (well, 12,635 minutes ago anyway) update pics of the 1991GT conversion to the Cobra.

As I mentioned before, the Monogram 302cid (5.0L) block and oil pan are margainal at best with the oil pan being COMPLETELY incorrect for the FOX chassis (it is a truck pan they cast the engine with.....showing the kit engines roots). How do you fix this. Well, either scratchbuild one or cut the old pan free and add the pan from the Tamiya 1994GT or 1995 CobraR kit; which I did here:

001-4.jpg

Removed the old pan with a razor saw (tried to be careful, but failed)

004-4.jpg

Had to reconstruct the pan rails on the block.......yes, I am fairly poor with a razor saw!

002-4.jpg

The 1995 CobraR pan sitting next to the engine. Test fitting looks good so far, but I am re-constructing the timing cover/water pump detail on this engine as it is horrible to say the best for it.

Just got a teaser Mock-up of the car sitting on the wheels before I cut the inner door panels free.

009-3.jpg

The core support you see is from a 1967 Plymouth GTX failed build and will be getting cut up to make the FOX unit.

Also, hood vent location is finalized and I have the vents just sitting in place to mark the hood for the cuts to come.

010-3.jpg

All right; if anybody is still viewing this thread

Yeah, I'm still watching, I need to get up of my rear and get back to my build for this!!! :unsure::lol::lol:

Nice work on the Stang so far, Bradley! :lol:

I got the inner door panels cut free and will be scratchbuilding the door handles, armrests, door lock buttons, window cranks, mirror adjusters and backing plates, and other details of the inner door panels.

Here I have the mock-up with the inner door panels cut free.

011-3.jpg

I have a lot of work to do to make the inner cowl/door jambs/door hinges!

Below are the inner door panels freed from the tub; I will be filling the upper corners in, making the door handles, the window cranks and mirror adjusters, and working on the door lock pins and map pocket delete panels.

012-3.jpg

Passanger door panel.

017-7.jpg

Drivers door panel.

The tub is fair in detail, but still could use some love. I am adding/accentuating the rear seat detail to give it more accuracy.

013-4.jpg

Opening the divide between the rear seat halves, the inner side plastics, and the carpet backs from the seat backs.

014-5.jpg

Again, opening the seat divides from the upper seat back halves and the side interior plastics plus from the lower seat cushions.

Aluminum driveshaft time! I took a few measurements, then hacked the driveshaft from the rear end. I also went to my scrounge bin of dead FOX parts and cut another driveshaft from a dead housing (so that I would have two ends). I took the first end, opened the 'U'-joint detail up, shaved the pinion flange flat, and made the tranny yoke detail from scrap plastic.

018-7.jpg

I did the same for the rear yoke, only I left the flange to mate to the rear end. I took some K&S aluminum tube, cut it to length, and two-part epoxied the yoke ends in. Then I painted the ends. I have yet to finish the paint as I will test fit it first, adjust as needed, then finish paint.

007-3.jpg,

020-7.jpg, 023-5.jpg, 024-5.jpg,

025-5.jpg, 026-5.jpg, 027-4.jpg.

Edited by whale392

I also seperated the headlight lenses into their 3 parts (ready for polishing and detail painting)

032-5.jpg, 033-5.jpg, 034-5.jpg

Making the center armrest posable. I will end up making the hinge from plastic rod, but at the moment I have a pin stuck through it to test mobility.

030-5.jpg, 031-5.jpg.

I also am modifying the 1995 CobraR K-Member to look more realistic and use with the FOX body:

005-4.jpg

Before

008-3.jpg

Driver side during the modifications.

The GT sideskirts with the seperation detail added with a razor saw:

028-5.jpg, 029-5.jpg.

I will post more later. Thanks for looking, hope you enjoy, and get to building!

Hey guys, I haven't done much lately, positive anyways. I tried to cut corners and used a rattle can on a hot humid day (every day here) to lay down a base for a bunch of alclad needing parts. The parts look horrible to say the least. I've got a lot of sanding and stripping to do.

A Gulf scheme? How cool! Looking forward to that. Whale, you are amazing. Great progress!

Cheers,

Greg

I recieved the pony wheels from Missing Link Resin a couple days ago. They are AWESOME! If you need pony wheels they are the place to get them. No sinks like some of the plastic pieces!

I may just have to build My LX with the factory engine, just to get it finished.

Do not fear the red plastic! My 83-84 Mustang GLX vert was red plastic and it is going together fairly well (then again, almost every part is a shade/hue of Black!) and the SVO I am also building (wayyyyyy back burner) is Red plastic (but will NOT be Red when built. B)

Thanks for the updates on your builds guys; you help keep me motivated on these builds. And thanks for the compliments (I am no Romell; but I can hack up some nice plastic!).

Let me know how that turns out Eric. I was thinking of trying my hand at resin by casting the Tamiya pan.

Actually put together a few things to copy- two sets of resin drag wheels, a couple of mis-matched M/T valve covers (so I can make copies and have complete sets), and that SBF double sump oil pan from the '32 Ford kit. I get ready to get into my resin stuff to pour the mold, and find out that something had leaked, basically glued the box shut, and that the RTV had separated and its respective portions had solidified. Yeah, the stuff had been sitting a while... Guess now's my chance to get some nicer resin stuff from Texas Art Supply instead of the Alumilite from Hobby Lobby like I had used before. Had been planning on new stuff anyway, since the Alumilite resin has such a short working time and wouldn't have worked in my pressure pot.

Being as I have FOX kits falling out of my hindquarters, I figured I could do a run of the pan just to have some spare units for future builds.....also goes for the timing cover/water pump area.

And since that pan is 1/25, it oughta work on the MPC Mustangs too.

I didn't measure, but the Revell '32 Ford piece looks a little bigger than the AMT '95 Cobra pan.