Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fox Chassis (Ford) community build anyone?

whale392

Bad news!!! After stripping the paint on my frame and chasis, I left it out to dry. Unfortunately, one of my co-workers (I did this at work) decided to smash the frame and roll cage with a racketball racket. I will have to figure something out, besides kicking somebody's rear, that is. It is way too destroyed to use. I have other Foxes, including racers, so I will start again.

Greg

One word: Thundercougarfalconbird!

Nothin makes you feel more like a man than a Thundercougarfalconbird!

I wish I had signed up for this forum a while back to get started on this. I'm still looking for a Pikes Peak car so I'd hate to devert in too many directions. This is a great project and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished results.

One word: Thundercougarfalconbird!

Nothin makes you feel more like a man than a Thundercougarfalconbird!

I wish I had signed up for this forum a while back to get started on this. I'm still looking for a Pikes Peak car so I'd hate to devert in too many directions. This is a great project and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished results.

You can handle it! I have this and 6 other projects for 4 other community builds on the desk right now! ;)

Well, I think I found a solution to my problem. It appears that the roll cage is the same in the "whistler" kit as in the Revell Trans Am Camaro. I have an old Rain-X Camaro that I stripped the parts from. It was one of those "new in the box" ebay buys. What they meant to say was "body painted purple, and decals ruined". Now it finally has a purpose. This turned out to be a darn negative sounding post. Sorry. I am glad to be back in business. Hopefully some progress pics this week.

Cheers,

Greg

No pics yet - I have been working at my Whistler Mustang. Not much but cleaning up mould lines on the chassis/rollcage halves. The bottom of the chassis plate has severe sink marks where the framework on the top side is, which means I have to loose the dzuse fastener detail, and will have to putty and smooth the bottom. Oh, well..didn't think you'd want pictures of my sanding sticks, and red plastic dust!! On the plus side, the chassis is looking better now. Once I've got the sanding done, I'll get a pic or two.

Edited by Tony T

• 1 month later...

Got the front fenders thinned, and the door skin surrounds thinned to give them a realistic thickness. Got the taillight housings cut from the body and boxed in. Pics to come when the camera battery is charged and I upload them to Photobucket.

Mods, move this to the CBP section please.

Mods, move this to the CBP section please.

Bradley, I sent a PM to Gregg and Harry letting them know just in case they didn't happen to see your post. I've been trying to help them out by letting them know when I see one or ones I'm currently in. :D I don't know how I missed this one since it's one I'm in, too! :)

Thanks Matt........still hasn't been moved yet though. Oh well.

These are going into a TurboCoupe build I am working on, but I thought I would post a pic anyway as they are the prototypes for my 1991GT build. They are Bilstien Coil-overs (non-adjustable shocks); my 1991 has Konis with a sleeve kit (I am working on the scale renditions of those right now....they will be in with the update pics of the 91). I still have to add the black to the shock end recesses (for the Poly bushings) and the overall black wash to seperate the shock body from the shock tube. Let me know what you all think.

011-6.jpg

It took me the better part of the day to scratchbuild them. They are .090" styrene tube (shock body) with the center drilled out to accept the .062" styrene rod (shock strut). I then found a 6-32 screw and wound .020" safety wire around, counting the coils and cutting/pinching/stretching to get the right height. I made the sleeve stops/spring perches from scrap styrene turned down to .1685" diameter (springs are .1560" O.D). paint is Tamiya French Blue (close match for the Bilstien Blue), Tamiya Bright Yellow, and Tamiya Silver Leaf. Thanks for looking.

Edited by whale392

Hmmmmm, I am late to the party by I like the subject this is one that I have been wanting to build This car was raced in 1994-95 and is one of my favorite drivers, you can tell this Fairmont is pretty modified and would have sat on a Granada or T-Bird full frame since this class required it. I am not sure there is any Fairmont bodies out there but I thought I could start with something that had a similar shape and morf it into a Fairmont. Any ideas??

61F.jpg

Edited by MZ 500

Someone has had a body in developement for about the past 4 years now, don't know if it has made it to the production master stage yet. I am waiting in the line for one of the bodies, I will tell you that much.

Matt; thanks for the compliment on them, the fronts are done and awaiting me to get to setting the cars final ride height so they can be finish-glued together. As they sit now, everything is just press-fit/loose-fit together. I need to finish the caster/camber plates for the front so that I can finalize everything. I will be taking the 1991GT Mustang build and the 1987 TurboCoupe build to the Toledo show on October 9th as projects. We'll see how they're recieved there........lots of work to do before then though!

I stand corrected by my own investigativeness. I once stated that there wasn't a good T-5 tranny in 1/24th scale and that I was going to have to modify the SROD that comes in every Mustang kit from Monogram/Revell in 1/24th scale. Well, I got to working with the 1/24th scale Revell-O-Gram 1987 Thunderbird TurboCoupe kit and realized that IT IS A T-5 tranny! I will have to mate the T-5 cases to the SROD bell (after modifying the Bellhousing of the SROD), thereby giving me a good looking T-5 for my 1991GT project. I am excited and went out to buy another Turbocoupe kit just to scavange the T-5 to use as a master for resin reproduction.

More progress pics coming soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...