Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fox Chassis (Ford) community build anyone?

whale392

That is cool, Mike. I remembered Brad Bowling talking about the SA10 and the one car that never made it. Awesome that it still exists and will make it after all (better late and BETTER than never at all).

Rick, I will tell you now, building the 2.3T can be fun and done relatively cheap for lower horsepower. Start really escalating the power though and you better bring GOOD money to the dance, as the 2.3 is NOT cheap to make into a killer. You could build a HOT 5.0L for what you would have into a well-modded and mid-power 2.3T. My pistons and rods alone were $1,200.00 (remember, 4 rods and 4 pistons). You can get good 5.0L stuff for that. And yes, I do want to go up against the imports with their own technology/on their terms. To beat a modern 4 cylinder with an arcaic 4 cylinder would be a great feeling, even more so than beating them with the V8. The look on their faces when you tell them they got smoked by a 4 cylinder Mustang IS priceless.

That is a very good point on cost on building a modded 4 banger compared to the 5 liter. Also another good point is, pulling up next to a hot ricer, revving at them with the sound of you're 4 banger, them laughing at you, and then you launch and they see nothing but you're taillights and one big shiny exhaust tip, haha awesome idea for a street sweeper.

I've had 2 Turbo Gt's (well one Gt and one RS) and while fun I would prefer not to have another.

They don't make as good of a sleeper as you might think, as when you rev it up the turbo kicks in, even in neutral.

And the whine or the whistle from the waste gate is almost always a dead give away, of a turbo car.

That is why I find no reason to rev. Let them rev on me, and when I unleash the car it is too late for them. I prefer to run around and let them think they are running a 5.0L, as every kid with a Fart-Pipe Civic thinks he can run a 5.0L. When that light is about to go green, mat the throttle to bring the 2.3T up on low boost and let it out when the bulb flashes green. By then, I am sitting at about 5psi and 2,000rpm.........just as the boost starts to climb to 35psi. The little 2.3T just sounds like a demented tractor engine whith a massive whistle! Then again, by that time the Buzz-Bomb is nowhere but the rear-view mirror. Next light, I get the 'Jesus Christ' look, and that is when I tell them they just got railroaded by a 4cylinder.

But I digress, with a mild build, the 2.3T can be fun, but it will not be mistaken for a 5.0L (they have very different sounds at idle).

Jason, what year is your Turbo GT (83 or 84?), and I am assuming your Capri RS is an 85-86?

One of 147 Anny TurboGTs and it is gone............... :(

Did they at least go to knowledgeable/appreciative buyers? Thanks for letting me know, Jason. I still have my 84 TurboGT, and have decided to cut up my 86GT T-Top car to save the 84 (before the firestorm hits, the 86 has other issues that would make it a good donor for the 84).

Stephen, now I am REALLY going to make you cry.............

The 1983 GLX with the 5.0L is rarer that the GT of that year, and on top of that is the fact that 1983 was the first official production year for the FOX convertible. Combine those two and you passed up on a very rare car for very easy money! If it were in good shape, it could be valued a bit higher in the collector arena! :)

I have a 1983 GLX convertible, but with the V6/auto (most common variety). The only two things that make it even slightly valuable are the triple-Black color combo (black roof, black body, black vinyl interior), and the convertible roof.

Stephen, now I am REALLY going to make you cry.............

The 1983 GLX with the 5.0L is rarer that the GT of that year, and on top of that is the fact that 1983 was the first official production year for the FOX convertible. Combine those two and you passed up on a very rare car for very easy money! If it were in good shape, it could be valued a bit higher in the collector arena! :)

I have a 1983 GLX convertible, but with the V6/auto (most common variety). The only two things that make it even slightly valuable are the triple-Black color combo (black roof, black body, black vinyl interior), and the convertible roof.

Nah,it didn't make me cry...I knew what it was already,and how rare. The guy who bought it ran it through the other auction tonight,trying to gethis money back. There's MUCH better lighting at this one (despiote being the older,more run down of the two auctions),I took a much better look at it,as well as "Ride and Drive" drove it...rare yes (assuming that windsor he claims is a 5.0L is a factory 5.0L),but in need of major work underneath that shiny new paint to be a dependable driver,and otherwise it looks to be a major resto candidate-NOT that either of those are bad things,mind you....but out of my range of abilities anymore (financial or the physical ability due to my spinal injuries).

I remember a friend's brother owning a black body/top red interior GLX 5.0 ragtop back in the early 90's,his was automatic,I always wanted that one,LOL!

I was thinking (and if it doesn't get sold soon, still am thinking) of 5.0L/Carbed/5spd swapping mine, as it would be real easy to do. I still MIGHT drop a 5.0L Carbed auto into it from an earlier Crown Vic. I have the 1985 Tube headers and 1982-85 Dual-snorkel air cleaner (and a factory 1985 4bbl Carb) that could make it an easy drop-in. Plus, my 86GT donated its' double-hump trans cross member and I have headers I could always bolt on.

Actually, $1400 for a good 5.0L driver isn't too hateful. The prices of the FOX cars are starting to escalate as they pass that awkward stage in a cars life that is between 'New' and 'Collector'. Even used car prices (where they are just starting to emerge from) are starting to climb on them....especially the 1987-93 V8 cars.

Edited by whale392

Thanks you Guys.

Mike it started as the 1983 Mongram kit, with some surgery to the nose piece to appear as an LX. Plus I did use some items from the 1992 GT convertilbe kit as well, such as the nose and wheels and tires.

Roy

Roy,

How did you do the rear spoiler?

I see it wears the 1983-86 tail lights, painted completely Red. I hear there is a resin company that produces the 1987-93 LX-style lights, but I have heard a lot of reliability issues with getting the product. Your solution is just one of many for this problem. I know Jason and I both are working on several different 1987-93 projects, and even a few of the 1979-82 and 83-86 variety too. Jason does some excellent work, and has a resin coupe comparison thread going right now in the 'Resin' section, plus his 'Frankenstang' Coupe in 'On the workbench'.

It's nice to see another 'Mid-Model' Mustang guy join the fold!

Nice Job, Roy!

You flatter me, too much. Brad (LOL)

Most would probably say my work is more of an unhealthy obsession, more than anything else. (Probably quite true!)

I haven't worked on "Frank" lately, as I've been distracted by another "shiny" object, but I digress...

Here's one of my oldest LX projects, for you Roy. As an owner/previous owner / modeler maybe you can enjoy it?

100_0806.jpg

It is slated to be a 92 Special edition, (Red and White) if I ever build it.

(side view)

100_0807.jpg

Edited by Abell82

Oh yeah Jason!! That's is nice!! I have looked at Your other projects too, I do believe Your obsession is quite healthy!!!

One of the major flaws with mine was that the body moldings are not correct for a '93 LX. And as brad pointed out the taillights were the '83-86 style. I had intended to paint them in the style the '93 Cobra.

When I sold the 1:1 car I gave the young buyer the model as well, and he got a big kick out of it.

One of these days I do plan a having another go at a redo of this car.

Thanks again, and keep the great work up Guys.

Roy

Edited by madhorseman

Looks good Jason

I assume that started life as a GT Vert?.

Tailights look good also, did you make them from scratch?

I made some progress on the Saleen.

I originally was trying to just modify the 93 Cobra ground effects, but I decided to take it a step further.

The only thing I was really satisfied with was the front grill.

2012-02-16_16-24-09_472.jpg

I spent some time in the garage with #583. I took some measurements using the bottom of the belt line molding as a reference, and quickly realized the front airdam on the cobra body doesnt come down far enough. The airdam on the Saleen is as low as the side skirts are. One of the reasons the car looks so aggressive.

Red_87-1.jpg

So I removed the airdam with a razor saw. You can see how much space is between the parts.

2012-02-19_16-27-57_29.jpg

Here is a side view.

2012-02-19_16-26-08_772.jpg

So I added some evergreen strip styrene and built up the area....

2012-02-26_15-45-04_497.jpg

Then glued the airdam back in place. I also added some body filler to it to cover the earlier holes I made. Once I get the shape right, I will drill and shape new ones. I scribed a couple of lines in the front moulding to replicate the bumper filler.

2012-02-26_15-49-45_367.jpg

Originally I just smoothed out the cobra bumper and enlarged the tailpipe openings. To make it more accurate, I drilled three holes in a straight line across the valence, even with the tailpipe slots. I then used the backside of a hobbyknife to scribe through and open up a thin slot.

2012-02-19_16-28-33_403.jpg

I used a small piece of sandpaper and slowly enlarged the slot till it looked right, then I added three pieces of styrene Rod on the back side.

2012-02-26_15-42-18_738.jpg

Not perfect, It doesn't quite wrap under the way the real one does, and the tailipe openings are a bit to far toward the center and the slot is not wide enough, but I think it looks convincing.

2012-02-25_15-17-43_888-1.jpg

Edited by sln583