Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fox Chassis (Ford) community build anyone?

whale392

The red lettering looks funny in that position without the ponies in front of it.

yeah I know...I really had to talk myself into putting them back that far, but I followed the reference pics. I am hoping to get the ponies done on one side tonight. I'm using Fred Cady Decals so you have to wait for one pony to dry before sliding the next one on. Same with the lettering. The Orange lettering is one decal and the red outlined block letter sits on top top make the red edge. I sure wish Fred was still making decals.

Looking good Jeff.........I love the Pace Car version of the 4eye FOXes.

Venom97 (Jason): Welcome to the MCM family and to the FOX insanity. I myself currently own 4 FOXes (owned a 5th but old lady syndrome killed it) and over 40 kits. My real FOX rides are a 1983 Mustang GLX convertible (3.8L/auto), a 1984 Mustang GT Turbo (turbocharged 4cyl/5spd), a 1986 Mustang GT TTop (5.0/5spd), and a 1991 Mustang GT (base model.....no options) with the 5.0/5spd. I drive the 1991 most of the time, and it has 271,000 original miles on the car with NO rebuild done. All 4 of them are 5lug swapped, and 3 of the 4 have been rear disc swapped as well.

Anyway, welcome to the FOX build.......post as many as you want. The vert is looking good so far!

Edited by whale392

Venom97 (Jason): Welcome to the MCM family and to the FOX insanity. I myself currently own 4 FOXes (owned a 5th but old lady syndrome killed it) and over 40 kits. My real FOX rides are a 1983 Mustang GLX convertible (3.8L/auto), a 1984 Mustang GT Turbo (turbocharged 4cyl/5spd), a 1986 Mustang GT TTop (5.0/5spd), and a 1991 Mustang GT (base model.....no options) with the 5.0/5spd. I drive the 1991 most of the time, and it has 271,000 original miles on the car with NO rebuild done. All 4 of them are 5lug swapped, and 3 of the 4 have been rear disc swapped as well.

Anyway, welcome to the FOX build.......post as many as you want. The vert is looking good so far!

lol,thanks for the welcome! im pretty lucky,my wife understands my addiction and (most of the time) pretty understanding. my current rides are a h/c/i 91 coupe and my high school car an 86 coupe. ive had 14 now i think, from an 84 1/2 gt 350 to a 97 cobra. and more to come im sure! lol thanks guys,look foward to being a part of this community for sure!

Edited by venom97

Welcome. You've surely had some sweet rides. Even though it's not a Fox, the 97 cobra sounds neat. As well as four Foxes I currently own, my summer driver is a red '99 3.8. Not a pavement burner, but a cool ride around town.

Right now, with all the snow and salt on the ground and still more to come, I'm using my '98 Taurus wagon. What's a little more rust?

Looking forward to seeing more of your build.

Tony

Looking good Jason.

I have played with the idea of making this an open-ended build timeline. I know SAE has one that has been going for several years now and it is slowly being added to (same with their MustangII CBP thread). I just have so many FOX kits and so little build time that I am afraid I will never finish any!

sounds just like me! lol ive got about 10 kits right now thats partially put together! when it gets warm i wont even mess with these much, just bought long tubes,o/r h pipe,trick flow intake,bigger fuel pump,and regulator for the 1:1. : )

Edited by venom97

Mind if I play?

I’ve made significant progress on my Fairmont pro stocker after considerable time and effort. I’m to the point I can finally get down to building one, as envisioned over the past 2-3 years. I don’t have all of the pieces done, but the significant ones are shaping up nicely. Anyway I began this build for another forum competition the middle of January. The rules there were to start fresh.

I’m gonna have to play catch up, so here goes…

The body I’m using has a few minor blemishes. Shawn, who is the guy I’m working with and is doing the actual molding and casting of the body, is reworking those few things, but I got three bodies to play around with. Here are a couple pics of the body, as received

4G-1P_fairmont_2med.jpg

4G-1_fairmont_interior_roof.jpg

I got the window bracing and blanks removed and the openings cleaned up, then proceeded to remove most of the engine compartment blank. I decided to leave the edges next to the fenders to provide a ledge for the hood to rest on, and I’ve at least temporarily retained the core support blank, in case I decide to add tin work up in the nose.

4G-1prelimFairmontandRearendPics010.jpg

4G-1prelimFairmontandRearendPics011.jpg

More to come…

Edited by futurattraction

Since I had to start from scratch on the other forum, I couldn't use this engine, but it’is representative of what I'll be building. The block has lots of extra detail that are unique to the 351 Cleveland. I added separate exhaust port plates, reworked the Dominators from a set that came out of the Johan Maverick, Moroso valve covers were scratch built, including getting the Moroso script photo etched so I'd have something uniform to work with. Cylinder heads have been detailed on their end surfaces. The tunnel ram began life as a FireFighter intake, but there’is literally nothing of that intake that remains. The end rails were reshaped, the runners built up and widened considerably, plenum totally rebuilt. The pan was scratch built. The headers started life on the Larry Morgan Olds and were a perfect fit for my Cleveland, but the center primaries didn't contact the heads, so I'm in the process of reworking them.

4G-1prelimFairmontandRearendPics012.jpg

The Lenco started life in a Glidden kit, and was modified to incorporate shifter towers where the detent levers locate. I’ve also gotten a bunch of PE pieces made up to use with this trans, i.e., hand levers and detent and reverser levers and mount. The activation rods are SS tubing.

Lenco_levers_1lo_1024x768.jpg

I don’t have a rear end housing actually read to put in the car, but am in the process of modifying the one I have built, by adding a heavier back brace on it. I’m molding it now, so hopefully it won’t be too long before I’ll have one more piece of the puzzle. In the meantime, these PE rotors and caliper brackets and resin hats and calipers will go on it when all is said and done.

Rear_rotors_hats_calipers_1024x768.jpg

More later.

You are MOST CERTAINLY welcome to join in! I have been watching (and waiting) for progress on this for years. When you get this to a point of mass-casting, I will take one or two and I know one or two of the guys at foureyedpride will as well. I stated 3 years or so ago (when I first saw these efforts starting) that I wanted one when ready; that want has not diminished!

Thank you for coming over and playing in our sandbox.

Thanks for the welcome, Brad. When I look back on how long this project has taken, I wonder why/how it could have taken so long. There are reasons, and they all make sense to me, even if not to anyone else. Someday I may try to recount it all somewhere so folks have an idea of what has gone into this project besides what's been seen on the forums where I've shared pics of it. The explanations I can readily give, at this moment, are that I do have a life outside of modeling, I have a regular 40-hour/wk job, and a verse in the Bible says, "whatever you do, do it heartily as to the Lord, and not to man", which to me means, if I'm gonna do this, I want to do it right - so, yes, I've been caught up in the many details of this body, especially since I own a 1:1 Fairmont with a Cleveland in it. In the meantime, I'm just glad that it feels like things are really moving along. Scott

I know your feelings Scott. I work aviation and my schedule goes all over the board. 40 hour weeks are a start and even though I have a set schedule, that is merely a jumping-off point as it is subject to change due to aircraft failure! Details is the killer, and to someone who can go lay their hands on the prototype and has a real love for their subject, that is what will dictate the time it takes to finish something. I have 4 1:1 FOX Mustangs ranging from 1983-1991, so when I do build a model of one, I want it RIGHT. Others may not know the differences, but I do and I want it correct. I know your pain. Thank you for keeping at this for such a long time and getting this to fruition....it has not been for naught as your own satisfaction as well as others desire to own a copy should bolster and offset all of the setbacks and mixed-feelings you have had along this build.

Keep us posted; I for one am very eager to see how this Futura turns out Scott.

So, with the coming re-release from Revell of the Monogram 1/24th 1985 SVO in modern White plastic; how many do I forsee being picked up and built? All will be welcomed here (as many fear the original Red plastic and its leaching effect through lighter colors). I will pick up one or two for myself, as a few of the colors I have planned would not work well with the Red plastic.

Thanks for your responses Brad and Jeff. A couple more pics I can share of mockups of parts and pieces. It's taken me a whole lot longer to get the rearend molding done than I'd planned, but that's par for the course... :lol:

I originally built a brass forward frame rail section for this as a master because of its less flexible nature for molding. Unfortunately, my plan to build to scale sort of backfired this time because the RB Motion rod end shafts were flimsy enough when cast in resin I think I'd be asking for trouble trying to reproduce them, sooo I'm building a new front frame rail using a combo of .080 styrene, PE chassis/suspension tabs I made made up and some heavier RBM rod ends, among other things. I've just gotten started on cutting the lower control arm mounts into the styrene, but you can see what I'm doing. To make the styrene frame for stable, I'm going to incorporate one or two cast-in-place removable structural ties. I think that'll do the trick.

forward_frame_rails_brkts_rod-ends2.jpg

Another recipient of some PE pieces I had made up was for a strut front end I'm working on and hoping to eventually sell when I get my website up. The strut consists of a resin strut housing with aluminum tube liner, PE caliper bracket and hardware and resin pistons housings. This isn't a great shot but at least shows the direction I'm hoping to go with it. The strut also incorporates PE lower spring adjusters, SS piston shaft and PE upper spring retainer.

Strut_caliper_rotor3.jpg

Jumping to the rear of the car, this is what a partial mockup of the braced 9-inch will look like with PE caliper brackets and rotors and resin calipers.

FSP_center_outer_housing_w-disc.jpg

This shot shows the PE 4-link brackets I've gotten produced and will be using on this build. They're designed to work on the Revell rearend housing, but I'm going to use them on my home-grown housing because I want the extra brake detail. Coil-over shocks will also be in the works eventually.

S-4LRE-1_kit_mockup_930lo.jpg

This is going to be one heck of a nice looking Futura, no doubt about it. Your fab skills and choice of aftermarket parts is setting the pace for a stellar model. I will be watching this with great interest (and desire to afford RB Motion gear....I will have to fumble through with making my own stuff from styrene and pins though, as my real cars need the money more than their scale renditions do!).

Hey Brad,

When I designed my PE parts, I had/have the intention of marketing them, hopefully sooner rather than later. The 4-link stuff, I actually drew up so there are simulated rod ends and spacers as part of the kit. Three spacers sandwiched either side of the "rod end" are intended to "widen" the rod ends so they're more to scale (.040" thickness) and to space the brackets apart the same amount. I haven't fitted a whole set together yet, but IF my plan works, a guy might be able to get by without having to purchase as much RBM stuff. Not saying it's as nice as Robert's - it isn't, just saying it would make the PE setup more affordable (still need nuts/bolt pins)...

Scott

PE4-LinkPics003.jpg

That photoetch set looks great, Scott. As you can see by what I have pictured in this build thread, I will be looking to your build for ideas as to how to construct certain aspects of my build (as I continue to try new processes and attemps at creating certain parts). I also have a 2.3T/Volvo head swap project going on (both in real and in scale) and am working on getting the scale parts worked out, mastered, and cast by one of my club members for future updates/mods as my real combo changes. The scale version will be fit down into a 1987 Thunderbird TurboCoupe that is getting the Pro-Touring treatment (along with dimensional corrections), and I really want it (along with the scale rendition of my 1991 Mustang GT seen here) to stop people when they walk by. I will have to have it sitting up off a lit, mirrored surface for everyone to see the extreme amounts of chassis detail I am going into, but I think I will be OK with that.

Keep at the Futura Scott, I really want to see this come to fruition.

Tony, I know what you mean with keeping full-sized cars running.......I have 4 Foxes, my Dakota, and two motorcycles to spread my money between (my Dakota and the 1991 Mustang are the main sources of monetary leaching at the moment, but the 84 Mustang GT Turbo project is quickly re-asserting its grip on my wallet).

Also, as I assume you haven't recieved the headlight bezels yet (USPS is blaming the crazy weather for delays in delivery), I have a second set ready to go. If you have FedEx in Canada, let me know as I work right next to a FedEx station and can drop it off on my way to work. Thanks Tony.

P.S: I hear we are in for some warm weather this coming week. Looks like I might just get some projects into paint this coming weekend (well, my weekend anyway.....Wed, Thu, Fri, and Sat morning).

Looking good Jeff. The pace is one of my favorite FOXes, and you are doing it proud.

Tony, got your PM. I am sending the bezels, as the headlights are the same and I still nned the set for a build. I will see what else I have laying around and if I have a spare set of lenses that will work, I will swing those your way as well.