Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kenworth Tandem Torsion Bar Suspension

This is another one of the new items. The KW Tandem Torsion Bar Suspension is 12.00 per set, I would like to give Jim B. a big shout out for letting me cut his mint parts off the spurs to use as the master parts for this set. Thanks Jim !!! ;)

NewResin4-21-2010054.jpg

NewResin4-21-2010053.jpg

NewResin4-21-2010052.jpg

Sergey,

The torsion bar suspension as used by Kenworth was a very good light weight reliable system. Torsion Bar suspension systems have been around for a long time. The germans used them to good effect on their tanks in the WWII. Jaguar used the torsion bar on the front suspensions on the XKE through the 60s and 70s. The only down side of the suspension is it is a toatal mechanical system so you must carryout your routine lubrication and inspection schedules. Otherwise you will have problems. I have plans to build a few Kenworths with this suspension in both 1/25 and 1/16. I am going to see if I can make it operational. We'll see. If you want to see some photos of the suspension as fitted check out my photo's from the ATHS show in Hutchinson Kansas.

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/aths-convention-08-/

Hope this helps.

Dave

Eric,

Do you still have the copies of the instructions I sent to you? Maybe you could scan them in (or use the document setting on your camera) to show how it looks. If not, I can do it. Those assembly drawings should help.

Sergey,

The torsion bar suspension as used by Kenworth was a very good light weight reliable system. Torsion Bar suspension systems have been around for a long time. The germans used them to good effect on their tanks in the WWII. Jaguar used the torsion bar on the front suspensions on the XKE through the 60s and 70s. The only down side of the suspension is it is a toatal mechanical system so you must carryout your routine lubrication and inspection schedules. Otherwise you will have problems. I have plans to build a few Kenworths with this suspension in both 1/25 and 1/16. I am going to see if I can make it operational. We'll see. If you want to see some photos of the suspension as fitted check out my photo's from the ATHS show in Hutchinson Kansas.

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/aths-convention-08-/

Hope this helps.

Dave

Hey, don't forget my fav. Chrysler has been using torsion bars since the 50's right up til the present, except for a short span in FWD era and the only in some trucks in the present era. B)