Model Cars Magazine Forum

any one know were i can get custom rims for a 1/12 hayabusa ???

ya i am building a 1/12 Tamiya Hayabusa and wondering were i can get some custom rims any for that matter for this kit.

This may sound stupid, but the Hayabusa is a motorcycle, right?

Tamiya has a set of wheels for the RC-166 available separately; http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=12631 . I'm not sure the Revell Choppers would work - their wheels are 21"F/18"R or something similar and they're fairly skinny. The 'Busa has 17"F/R with wide, agressive tires.

What are you trying to do with the bike? Most of the custom Hayabusas I've seen have stock wheels either painted to match or chromed. A few have custom billet wheels built specifically for the bike. Maybe you could remove the centers from a Revell Chopper and mate them to the rims of the 'Busa, or get creative with some Evergreen.

I didn't realise they made that bike that big! That could be fun

The Hayabusa is fairly small as bikes go nowadays at 1300cc, though it's big for a sport bike (most are 600 or 1000). My daily ride is 1800, and the largest current is about 2000cc. However, they put out about half the horsepower of the 'Busa. A box-stock run of the mill 'Busa just off the Suzuki dealer's floor ($15,000) is one of the quickest and fastest vehicles on the planet. 0-60 times are in the low 2 seconds, quarters in the 9's and they are now limited to 186mph (the first couple of years could get pretty darn close to 200). Pretty awesome bikes. Most car guys don't know just how hot bikes are now. Even Honda Goldwings (think Lincoln Town Car of motorcycles) like mine have run in the high 12's/low 13's in the quarter.

thanks guys looking for more info lol SS that link showed nothing dude thanks for the help

Bummer. I did search the web for the Tamiya stock number, and found that they are skinny wire wheels, totally unsuitable for a Hayabusa. My mistake is I thought the RC-166 was a follow-on to the RC-51, but it is actually an early predecessor (1960s era 250cc 6cyl racer). Gotta love logical model designations....

Almost all modern sport/sport touring bikes use 17" wheels front and rear. The bigger the bike's displacement, the larger the tires, so I would look for models of bikes larger than 1000cc - the Tamiya Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14 pops immediately to mind. You might want to check for diecast 1/12 - I think it's New Bright that has a pretty good selection, and they are sometimes available as a kit at the LHS, some motorcycle dealers, Target, and other fine retailers. They're pretty reasonably priced - $10-15. I've got a nice collection of their bikes.

As far as mounting the wheels on the bike, well, that all depends. Most of the 1/12 bikes use screws as axles, so you should be OK there. A little time with a drill bit/file may be necessary to fine tune the fit. Watch the way the disk rotors mount - they mount directly to the wheel hub (full-size and model), and should rotate with it. Calipers mount to the fork and stay fixed.

Just bought the real thing, a 2005 UK model.

I got fed up with bits falling off my BSA A65, I just like to give it a quick once over before riding, not a full pre-flight inspection everytime

Have seen the Tamiya kit but no completed models, does anyone have pics of a built up kit?

John