Model Cars Magazine Forum

TDR 8th Scale Barracuda

As some of you may know, Dan at Scalemotorcars purchased an 8th scale 71 Barracuda master and assorted components about one year ago. Several members from this site and from SMC invested in the project but unfortunatly, it stalled.

I'm pleased to announce that TDR Innovations is now the sole owner of this project. We aquired everything from Dan and we're currently in the process of working the master to the point where it will be suitable for casting in fibreglass. In addition we are creating an interior tub and other important components. This is a long and involved process and we cannot at this time make any promise as to when the body will be in production.

When we start producing bodies, our first priority will be to satisfy the original investors. Once that is accomplished, the body will be announced and offered for sale. If you are an original investor, please contact us at tdr.innovations@gmail.com.

We will be posting updates here as the project progresses.

Guys, as Rick mentioned in his opening post this car has been in limbo for quite a while. TDR doesn't ordinarily reveal new products until they are a bit further along, however being we didn't start this project there has already been a lot of chatter about it, especially from folks wondering if was was ever going to materialize.

Rather than try to answer all the emails we get privately we've decided to do a thread that you folks may find interesting and show it's progress as it becomes a product that will be available to you fellow modelers.

As Rick stated, the original investors will be taken care of first (no exceptions). TDR does not accept pre-orders or gather waiting lists.

I'll start posting pictures and show it's progress here.....please feel free to comment, ask questions etc. in this thread. Rick and I will do our best to answer any questions retaliative to the car.

It's as close are we are going to be able to get to a "true 1971" muscle car.

Apologies to Harry....it's not a Super Bird!

It should really excite you large scale Mopar guys, finally a big Mopar with some goodies to go along with it. As you know, TDR doesn't settle for close enough or it's just a model....well enough babbling, I'll get some photos loaded and show you guys where it's at. :)

Casey, eventually there may be a complete kit but the first offering will be just a body. TDR already has a Pro Street chassis that will work under this body. We also already have several engine/trans/rear end kits along with wheels and tires. You can find these items now on our website at www.tdrcatalog.com.

We will more than likely offer it as a just the body at first for the guys that want to build pro street or an all out gas car.

However as time allows we will be adding many more parts to complement it.

As Rick said, we already have the correct engine in our catalog and masters for the dash board, wheels, steering wheel, stock buckets, front grille, rear seat, inner door panels are close to done. I'll be posting pics of those items soon, but they aren't going into production yet.

For the time being it will just the body and perhaps a few trim parts......we'll see how it goes before committing to a multi-media kit.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Here's a sneak peek at the grille & dash board. I have some final tweaking and fitting to do but until I get a glass body cast to fit them to they are on the back burner.

Just thought you guys might like to see what I meant when I said we will be adding parts as time allows.

More pics tomorrow.....the old orbs are getting tired.

I had to chuckle a while back when someone asked if we were trying to replace resin casters with the RP stuff we do......obviously not, LOL

This car will have a fiberglass body, cast resin parts and whatever other medium we find that works while holding the amount of detail TDR requires before we put it on the market.

ACUDA3020.jpg

ACUDA3027.jpg

ACUDA3024.jpg

ACUDA3025.jpg

ACUDA3022.jpg

Along with the parts I got with the original master there were some other goodies already started.....I'll be tweaking this 426 for casting in resin.......why you may ask?

Because as sweet as it is the TDR RP version of the 426 is simply not within the grasp of many modelers, especially when combined with the cost of the body. Some folks just can't afford the price of admission, that's understood. TDR is all about promoting large scale by providing a high level of detail at the lowest price possible. This engine will be cast in resin and available only as part of a future "starter kit" along with the Cuda body. There is much more work to be done before it's ready but it's well on it's way.

The TDR 426 is the way to go for you guys that have the means and skill to build at that level, this engine is for the guys that really want one that has more detail than the run of the mill stuff and doesn't require all the fiddly finishing. It will be a bare bones high quality resin engine specific to this Cuda. As a side note it is a drop in as far as fitting goes with a stock Cuda K-member (yes I have one of those too, pics of the K-member to follow soon). Note that it has motor mounts to make attaching it to the cross member fool proof.

ACUDABODYETC001.jpg

ACUDABODYETC004.jpg

ACUDABODYETC003.jpg

I was wondering if a few things will be offered... I'm stoked about this product line, it has great potential

'70 grille/headlights... much more attractive than the '71, IMO!

Pro-touring chassis components... Pro Street is so 1988!

Wedge engine assemblies... not everyone needs a Hemi!

Financing!

Edited by Rick R

I was wondering if a few things will be offered... I'm stoked about this product line, it has great potential

'70 grille/headlights... much more attractive than the '71, IMO!

Pro-touring chassis components... Pro Street is so 1988!

Wedge engine assemblies... not everyone needs a Hemi!

Financing!

Good question Rick R.

You're in luck, I agree pro-street isn't everyone's cup of tea, neither are funny cars etc.

Personally I'm an old school gasser guy. Bear with me, there will be more photos coming of a number of stock parts and I won't be using the "factory" tack on front fender gills or the rear spoiler specific to the Hemi Cuda. The '70 grille with 2 headlights rather than the four on the '71 is in the think tank. Same with the tail lights as the bodies are virtually the same. Here's a pic of the Sox & Martin '70 cuda.

Eventually I'll probably do a stock or the dual scoop hood rather the the shaker and if you get enough guys to bug TDR you may be able to convince them to do a 440,383 or 340.

Acuda2.jpg

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Hey gang, for those of you following this thread, I'd like to pass on a little info to you. I been asked several times why we choose to go with fiberglass rather than resin for the body and some of the parts. It certainly isn't the quickest way to produce a number of bodies.

I'm going to turn these questions over to the Madd Fabricator (my glass mentor), he been doing bodies this way longer than I have and can give you more info than I can.

I've been sold on glass for large bodies since I first laid hands on some of his Willy's parts, anyhow I'll turn this area over to him as I'm sure he will be able to answer any questions that pop up far better than I could.

Hey gang, for those of you following this thread, I'd like to pass on a little info to you. I been asked several times why we choose to go with fiberglass rather than resin for the body and some of the parts. It certainly isn't the quickest way to produce a number of bodies.

I'm going to turn these questions over to the Madd Fabricator (my glass mentor), he been doing bodies this way longer than I have and can give you more info than I can.

I've been sold on glass for large bodies since I first laid hands on some of his Willy's parts, anyhow I'll turn this area over to him as I'm sure he will be able to answer any questions that pop up far better than I could.

In reply to why a fiberglass ( 'glass), body, probably the number one reason is because of the weight factor. A fiberglass body can weigh less than one half of what the cast resin body would weigh, while still having a higher strength to weight ratio. This means less weight on the chassis and suspension components, which tend to be somewhat on the fragile side if done in true scale. In order to cast a resin body the size of the 'Cuda it is necessary to make the casting much thicker than what a 'glass body needs to be in order for it to keep it's shape over time. Thin cast resin is very prone to warping as time goes by. With hand laid fiberglass I can adjust any area of concern during the lay up process, without having to recreate or modify any part of the mold. This allows TDR to satisfy a customers request for additional " beef up", or decrease the amount of material in any part of the body. You can't do that with a poured cast resin body without a lot of hassle.

Should the builder decide to modify or customize the 'glass body: A 'glass body is much easier to modify / customize using the same products and procedures that a regular body shop or hot rod shop would use on a full size car. All required materials are readily available at the local auto parts supplier or a Wal-Mart style store which means no need to search out any specialized resin suitable products.

Having produced numerous 'glass bodies over the many years that I have been working with 'glass, and also having done a considerable amount of resin casting of both small and large components I feel that 'glass bodies, although taking longer to produce, are well worth the time and effort.

Yes, some long time modelers who have never worked with anything other than resin cast bodies are apt to say that, they'll have to learn some new ways of working with 'glass. To them I'll say, there is practically no difference between the two when it comes to procedures, and very few, if any, changes in the materials you purchase.

I'll even go out on a limb here, with a promise to pay the first of any of the original investors who receives a 'glass body from TDR, and they are not satisfied with the product, please ship the body to me, at your expense, and I will gladly refund your investment. Remember, this only applies to any of the original investors and to only the first investor who isn't happy with a fiberglass body. Such a deal !!!

I'm sure there will be additional questions as the TDR 'Cuda draws closer to reality. I'll try and answer any and all questions as they arise.

CHEERZZZZ !!!!!!! MADD FABRICATOR

I'd like to answer Rick's comments.

In regards to "Pro Street" vs "Pro Touring" I agree that Pro Street is getting tired. Having said that, in our catalog at www.tdrcatalog.com you will find a Pro Street chassis. Its the same one that I'm putting under my Willys coupe. This chassis comes with three different width front clips and two rear clips. Yes, its Pro Street, but there's nothing to stop a builder from producing his own rear clip in order to go the Pro Touring route. Keep in mind that this is our first 8th scale chassis and its designed to work under several body styles. If the demand is there, we'd consider looking at other chassis options.

In regards to Rick's question about financing.......yes, there is a financing option. We'd be happy to set up an interest free plan but please keep in mind that we won't ship until payment in full has been rec'd. This option applies to all TDR products.

I'm waiting on a few supplies supplies to start making the fiberglass mold for this beast, so let's take a look at few more of the "support" pieces that are in progress. These are not items that will be included with the basic body but down the road a bit they may be offered as part of a package deal available to you guys that would like to build a Cuda that doesn't require as much scratch building on your end & is a bit closer to stock. We'll see how it goes and if there is enough interest TDR will, no doubt, put them into production.

So understand guys, TDR reacts to input from you when it comes to new products, in progress project goodies etc. Before I open a can of worms let me say if you want an Edsel chances are slim...LOL. Without your input...it ain't gonna happen. In other words....TDR listens to you, that's why we started this thing. This thread is about the Cuda but it's a simple thing to contact TDR and talk to any of the TDR group, we're here because of you........so speak up.

Anyway, all that aside here's a few pics of some interior tub chunks in progress....

Front bucket seat...3 pieces, seat, back & back panel. Rear seat...2 pieces.....seat & back.

ACUDABODYETC006.jpg

Big deal you say...where the door panels?

Well my friends, here's the door panels and a rough mock up of the beginnings of the interior tub....

ACUDABODYETC007.jpg

Cudainteriormotormounts003.jpg

Cudainteriormotormounts004.jpg

Next up......steering wheel and column.

Here's a shot of a full size stock '71 interior, note the lack of a center console. As far as I know a console wasn't offered in this car for 1971. The red interior is a 1970 and it shows a console. Also note the difference in the pattern on the the seats. I'm asked occasionally if I scale things up from 1/24th or 1/25th when working with these biggies, the answer to that (at least in my case) is no. I'm sure some folks do but I find that the little kits already have too many "fudge" factors built in and for the most part are some what lacking in detail.

I bought the R/M Hemi 'Cuda (1/24th) and will be posting some pics of it beside the 1/8th for size comparison but (in my opinion) it just doesn't look right.

71Barracudainterior.jpg

1970Barracudainterior.jpg

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk