Model Cars Magazine Forum

Despeatley looking for a kit

Hi guys, a very good friend of mine is after a full engine detail kit of a Toyota Mark II. There are some kits listed on the 'bay, but none of them specify whether or they are full detail or curbside. This is not within the realm of my own interest, but for a friend who was in the military, stationed in Japan and owned one. Thanks in advance.

I'm 99% sure any Mk II Toyota kits were tooled up years ago and are not full-detail. Most Japanese kits didn't have engine detail until later in the '80's, and still many of them are curbside unless it was a particularly special or historic car. It would help to know what year, but if it's a '70's or '80's era car, it's likely curbside with a very simple chassis that at one time was probably fitted with an electric motor.

Bob, unfortunately is right, there are no full detail Mark II kits on the market. The best one I think, for the MX32(76-80) chassis is the Aoshima kit. They have it in both normal street clothes and the Gran-Cha series with wing and hippari(stretched) tires. For the GX61(81-84) again I think Aoshima is the best bet. Most of those will be listed under the Cresta Name. For the GX71(84-88)I believe that Fujimi makes the best one. For the GX81(88-92) look again for the Fujimi kit.

Aoshima Mark II

http://www.hwjapan.com/sh/ABK147040.aspx

Fujimi Cresta(GX61 Mark II)

http://www.hwjapan.com/sh/fuj03771d.aspx

Fujimi GX71 Mark II

http://www.hwjapan.com/sh/fuj18925a.aspx

I too am looking for a decent kit to replicate my MX73 Cressida. The above links also include pictures of the kit contents that may be helpful in deciding which one will work best for you. Now, if your friend actually had a first gen(GX10 chassis code) Mark II, which I would just about kill for, then I don't believe that anyone makes a kit of that. Okay, enough about the Mark II/Cresta/Chaser chassis than anyone cared to know...

Ed, that engine will not work for him. The X chassis had an M series inline SOHC six. The 2000GT had an M series based engine, but it was a DOHC engine. The easiest M series engine to back date would be the 5M from the MPC supra. All M series engine shared the same block, the heads were really the only difference

Edited by Ken

Bob, unfortunately is right, there are no full detail Mark II kits on the market. The best one I think, for the MX32(76-80) chassis is the Aoshima kit. They have it in both normal street clothes and the Gran-Cha series with wing and hippari(stretched) tires. For the GX61(81-84) again I think Aoshima is the best bet. Most of those will be listed under the Cresta Name. For the GX71(84-88)I believe that Fujimi makes the best one. For the GX81(88-92) look again for the Fujimi kit.

Aoshima Mark II

http://www.hwjapan.com/sh/ABK147040.aspx

Fujimi Cresta(GX61 Mark II)

http://www.hwjapan.com/sh/fuj03771d.aspx

Fujimi GX71 Mark II

http://www.hwjapan.com/sh/fuj18925a.aspx

I too am looking for a decent kit to replicate my MX73 Cressida. The above links also include pictures of the kit contents that may be helpful in deciding which one will work best for you. Now, if your friend actually had a first gen(GX10 chassis code) Mark II, which I would just about kill for, then I don't believe that anyone makes a kit of that. Okay, enough about the Mark II/Cresta/Chaser chassis than anyone cared to know...

Ed, that engine will not work for him. The X chassis had an M series inline SOHC six. The 2000GT had an M series based engine, but it was a DOHC engine. The easiest M series engine to back date would be the 5M from the MPC supra. All M series engine shared the same block, the heads were really the only difference

Thanks for the responses everyone! I just got off the phone with my buddy Dave an learned that he had a JZX90. He obviously knows more about this than I do (as well as you guys), and Ken he questions your reference of the GX81. Shoud you have meant JX81? That would work for him in a pinch he says. Thanks again!

J.B.

Nope, it came in both G and J designations. To confuse the issue even more, The exact same chassis here is know by the MX designation. The first letter is usually the type of engine in the chassis. The Mark II GX81 originally came with the 1G-GE/GTE. About halfway through the model's life, Toyota started using the mighty 1JZ in the chassis and the designation changed to JZX81. The same thing happened with the 86-92 supra in Japan. The early models are MA70s, and the later models are JZA70s. Unfortunately, America never received the 1JZ. Nicely enough, Americas took to the Lexus brand like ducks to water and we ended up getting plenty of the 2JZs to go around.

The Aoshima kit linked above should still have the stock parts included in the kit as well as the drift parts. Most Aoshima kits are this way. If he had a 1JZ in the car, look for a Tamiya 92 and up Supra. It has a full engine, which is a 2JZ-GTTE. Nice thing is the JZ series like most other toyota engine lines share the same block. Nicer even still, the only real difference in the 1JZ and 2JZ is internal. So you can use the 2JZ out of the Supra for his JZX90. Tell him I am jealous if he had a JZX chassis car. I would love a cresta or chaser front end for my Cressida.

Edited by Ken

John,

Your best bet will probably be Aoshima kit's, they more likely will be close

to what car your looking for.

I suggest you look at a Japan site..

Hobby Search Model Car Store www.1999.co.jp

It's a direct order from Japan, you get your kit's in 3 days.

This is were I order all my Aoshima kit's from, and they are pretty

reasonable.

Just a suggestion, good luck on your findings...

Edited by kaseykahne09

I'm 99% sure any Mk II Toyota kits were tooled up years ago and are not full-detail. Most Japanese kits didn't have engine detail until later in the '80's, and still many of them are curbside unless it was a particularly special or historic car. It would help to know what year, but if it's a '70's or '80's era car, it's likely curbside with a very simple chassis that at one time was probably fitted with an electric motor.

I have a late 60s Nichimo Mark II Hardtop by Nichimo in 1/20 scale. It has a beautiful full detail engine and drivetrain. It was not intended for being motorized.

Edited by Junkman

Are you sure it is not an early seventies Mark II. In the late sixties, the Mark II was just an extention of the Corona line. In 72 or so it became its own model. Those early seventies models are the one I would almost do bad things for... especially the coupe.

Late sixties mark II

earlyMarkII.jpg

1972 Mark II

1972-toyota-corona-mark-ii.jpg

1971 Crown Coupe... Super Sexy car!!!

1971-toyota-crown-ms60-ms70-brochur.jpg

To make this clear for me, is the Mark II what eventually became the Cressida in the U.S. (and presumably Canada.) Or was that another model? I remember there being a Corona (my aunt Mimi had one for many years,) a Crown and the Mark II. There used to be a Mark II coupe around here, and I always thought it was a nice-looking car.

A Cressida is also known as the only Toyota I'd ever be caught dead owning , possibly aside from one of the six-cylinder Supras.

Charlie Larkin

To make this clear for me, is the Mark II what eventually became the Cressida in the U.S. (and presumably Canada.) Or was that another model? I remember there being a Corona (my aunt Mimi had one for many years,) a Crown and the Mark II. There used to be a Mark II coupe around here, and I always thought it was a nice-looking car.

A Cressida is also known as the only Toyota I'd ever be caught dead owning , possibly aside from one of the six-cylinder Supras.

Charlie Larkin

You are correct! The Mark II eventually became the Cressida here in the states and Canada. The Corona quietly faded into oblivion to be replaced by the Camry. The Crown did not sell well here and was no longer imported for Toyota after about 75 or so. The top of the line Toyota in America for years was the Cressida. Nice thing about the Cressida, is that it pretty much shared the same chassis as the 82-86 Supra. I happen to have 2 of the MX73 85-88 Cressidas, a wagon and a sedan. I also own two of the 82-86 'wedge' Supras. Unfortunately, only the cressida sedan runs right now and not for much longer. It is in line for a 5 speed swap shortly and installation of an LSD out of a Supra. It should be much more fun when done :lol: . I wish that Toyota kept selling the Crown here in the states. The arrival of the Lexus brand pretty much killed any Toyota sedan ranked higher than the Camry. :lol:

Edited by Ken