Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fall 2010 Releases from Revell

Besides the wayyyyy cool cool.gif releases shown (including re-issues of the iconic Black Widow and Square 'Bird and a chopped '48 Coupe, as well as many welcome Monogram re-issues) please note that the cover of the brochure and the lead pages inside emphasise the automotive side of the hobby! What can this mean???unsure.gifbiggrin.gif

BTW, not being well-versed in the history of model car releases, besides the obvious (the Tom Daniels cars and the Beatnik Bandit, various classic Monogram items and the '59 Ford, all in the re-issue department and the 2010 'Stang in the new tool area) which of these are re-issues and which constitute new tools?

Edited by gbk1

Good stuff, I'm in for a Mustang, the Cutlass (didn't care for the first version issued), the '48, and the midget.

On second look, that 2010 Mustang really needs to be a 2011. Any Mustang fanatic would know exactly what I'm talking about. That 5.0 badge on the fender means a serious upgrade under the hood. As soon as 2011 Mustang GT's are on the street (any day now), the 2010's become the "depreciate like a rock" red-headed stepchildren of late-model Mustangs. A 2010 kit coming out when the 2011 is available on the street seems like a rather short-sighted tactical error on Revell's part. I hope they already know this or made a mistake, or at a minimum have a GT500 coming later to make me even more easily forget the 2010 GT.

Edited by Zoom Zoom

It appears someone at Revell is listening. Is that a convertable up-top I see on the Cutlass? :lol: Note how it says neither hartop nor convertable. :lol:

The SVO Mustang is nice to see again, and I'm sure the new Mustang will be a huge seller and will probably be available at Hobby Lobby and Michael's, too, adding to the sales potential.

The '48 Ford is a nice surprise, too. I give Revell credit for going out on a limb and offering another "pre-customized" kit like the '49 Mercury.

I'm with Bob with the fact that Revell needs to bring out the 2010 Mustang as a 2011. I'm assuming there modifying the 2005-2009 Mustang tooling to a 2010. and with how much retooling needs to be done they might as well update the motor as well

nice too see an update to the new 72 Cutlass. its got a flat hood as well as an up top. also looking forward to that 48 Ford custom, as well as the Mustang SVO.

its a small list but its a healthy list, I'll take quality over quantity and day. good job Revell.

Good stuff, I'm in for a Mustang, the Cutlass (didn't care for the first version issued), the '48, and the midget.

On second look, that 2010 Mustang really needs to be a 2011. Any Mustang fanatic would know exactly what I'm talking about. That 5.0 badge on the fender means a serious upgrade under the hood. As soon as 2011 Mustang GT's are on the street (any day now), the 2010's become the "depreciate like a rock" red-headed stepchildren of late-model Mustangs. A 2010 kit coming out when the 2011 is available on the street seems like a rather short-sighted tactical error on Revell's part. I hope they already know this or made a mistake, or at a minimum have a GT500 coming later to make me even more easily forget the 2010 GT.

I'd say it's a safe bet that the 2010 Mustang GT is the first of many versions we'll see of this kit. I suspect there's more variations of the 72 Olds tooling coming too. I'm glad for the uptop addition although I always display my convertibles top down.

-Steve

i mentioned in another post that i agree with Bob on the Mustang and that it should be a 2011 model with the new engine. will the styling be enough to sell the kit? and although i'd welcome a new Shelby version, something else like a Saleen could be soo much cooler.

i'm hoping with fingers crossed too that the '48 Ford coupe is NOT chopped and has a stock roof height. we have never yet had a "good" or even remotely accurate model of the '46-'48 Ford coupe and in my opinion a custom only version would kill sales of the kit and interest would be very limited. i really hope that Revell tools the kit with the stock roof and lets the aftermarket resin companies fill the need for a chopped top version.

i'm very curious too as if the new midget kit, specifically the Edelbrock version is going to be the first ever tooling of the V-8 60 flathead engine.

Dave

Oh yeah on the Midget!! Now, would it not be cool to get a model Elto 2-cylinder outboard engine for it, as well as the legendary Dale Drake designed watercooled Drake V-Twin (watercooled version of the H-D Knucklehead)?

Art

My first thought was "Ha, figures they'd reissue the SVO since I just got one on eBay," but then I thought and realized that the one on eBay was cheaper than the new one would be in the store.... Some cool stuff though. I'm not as excited about the midgets as Mark, but they look pretty cool, and I might have to get one.

i mentioned in another post that i agree with Bob on the Mustang and that it should be a 2011 model with the new engine. will the styling be enough to sell the kit? and although i'd welcome a new Shelby version, something else like a Saleen could be soo much cooler.

i'm hoping with fingers crossed too that the '48 Ford coupe is NOT chopped and has a stock roof height. we have never yet had a "good" or even remotely accurate model of the '46-'48 Ford coupe and in my opinion a custom only version would kill sales of the kit and interest would be very limited. i really hope that Revell tools the kit with the stock roof and lets the aftermarket resin companies fill the need for a chopped top version.

i'm very curious too as if the new midget kit, specifically the Edelbrock version is going to be the first ever tooling of the V-8 60 flathead engine.

Dave

Dave....yes it will be the first-ever V860 Ford Flathead in 1/25th....how cool is that? TIM

im all over those midgets but i am not betting on a detailed or specially detailed rendition of the offy motor. it looks pretty toy like from the bit you can see on the box art. but that really doesnt matter: those two are KOOL with a kapital K and the trailers make them all the better. i cant wait for them to come out!

the black widow is another favorite and i had been wondering why the prices for old kits and buildups had been falling recently. still not cheap but i noticed a fall from near 100$ to more like 60 lately. so the secret is revealed, to me, finally.

the rest of the stuff, ehh, but i wish they would make static models, even if only in 1/32, of those slot cars. some of the other stuff is a maybe actually depending on what cool parts they might contain.

its good to see active new releases though, especially those midgets. i take it they have never been issued before and therefore must be new tools?

Good to see the SVO again, but too bad they didn't bother to correct the exhaust and the rear spoiler, or at least improve the front corner lamps and turn signals. Intake is wrong for an '85 as well.

Edited by MonoPed

I go away for a weekend to Denver and come back and see lots of new kits announced (didn't take a puter w/ me and didn't even surf on my phone). Nice.

Agreed w/ others that the new Mustang should be an '11, but I'm happy to see it nonetheless. Nice to see the '72 Cutlass 2nd release w/ a plain hood and uptop.

The Midget race cars are intriguing, as I've been getting into vintage open wheel race cars (F1 and Indy) in recent years. So these are new tooling? I thought Revell had already announced an old Monogram Kurtis kit being reissued also this year?

Many of the other issues I already have (SVO, Bronco, '63 Impala, '67 Chevelle) but that's ok..

yeah, them car kits r nice, but im really geeked abouth the hms campbeltown!. it was a sister ship to the uss ballard and the uss montgomery..now i can build both boats named after both sides of my family.now i jus gotta figger out how to build a boat....... :(

I'm happy to see the Bronco again. I need a few of the TTB setups to do a couple 4x4 swaps on some AMT F-150s. I've done it before, and the scale difference wasnt really an issue. Plus, it should be easier to find than the ex MPC '81 Bronco in my neck of the woods.

i'm glad to see the SVO kit coming back and i'll be perfectly happy to have it just as it is as a "stock" only kit, inaccuracies and all. i've built one a long time ago and would love to opportunity to have a few more to build.

Dave

The best part of the reissued SVO, for me, is the fact that I won't have to deal with red plastic, or at least I assume that they'll be molding it in a more builder-friendly color. I was going to build the old red version I've got for the Fox build, but now I'll hold off until the repop shows up.

Fellas,

looks like knobbies on the reaer of the midgets, wonder if they'll include ashphalt tires a swell / I wonder if any of the resin guys will be doing up driver figures for these babies...can't wait ! I'll take TEN PLEASE and FOUR BLACK WIDOWS !

It will based on that kit, yes. And my understanding is that it will have a chopped-top-only body.

Nice. Next re-issue would have to be a Greased Lightning replica, complete with Danny Zuko and Kenickie figures. :)

868.jpg

I'm sure a new body insert was tooled up for the chopped top version, allowing for future coupe and more ceonvertable re-issues.