Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '60 Impala??

LOBBS

It's a straight reissue of the previous kit. Very nice kit, but there are some MINOR problems.

The chassis is reissued from the '59 Impala which is correct except for the spare tire well hanging down. In '60, the spare was moved to inside the trunk, so cut the well out and insert a piece of flat plastic.

Also, test fit the interior assy. and chassis several times before final assembly. Some filing is required to get the chassis level inside the body.

60chevy003-vi.jpg

Kyle,

The only thing I would add to Lyle's comments is this. This reissue does include some additional parts for the Cali wheels version. These include the addition of flame decals and three new sprue trees.

The chrome plated sprue contains large diameter five spoke wheels, brake disc, finned valve covers and air cleaner, as well as a chrome radiator shroud and generator assembly. A second tree contains the front and rear lowered suspension (these may be carried over from the lowrider versions). The final tree is clear red containing the Cadillac taillights.

Watch out for those mold lines on the bottom of the fins as well.

Kyle,

The only thing I would add to Lyle's comments is this. This reissue does include some additional parts for the Cali wheels version. These include the addition of flame decals and three new sprue trees.

The chrome plated sprue contains large diameter five spoke wheels, brake disc, finned valve covers and air cleaner, as well as a chrome radiator shroud and generator assembly. A second tree contains the front and rear lowered suspension (these may be carried over from the lowrider versions). The final tree is clear red containing the Cadillac taillights.

Watch out for those mold lines on the bottom of the fins as well.

Actually, there should be a separation line (recessed,not raised) on the underside of the fins back at the rear corners. This is where the rear panel of the car was welded to the quarter panels and the rear deck surround sheet metal. The seam was approximately at a 45-degree angle, and ran from the corner point of the fin inward, then down through that curved "cove" and back out to just inboard of the outermost taillight. Fisher body leaded in the part of the seam that you would see standing in the showroom, or at the curb, looking at the car, so it had a finished appearance. However, while body solder was flowed into the seam on the very underside of the horizontal fin, it was not filled and smoothed off, just had a transition at the point where the sheetmetal curved outward underneath the fin. (59's were done the very same way).

Art

Actually, there should be a separation line (recessed,not raised) on the underside of the fins back at the rear corners. This is where the rear panel of the car was welded to the quarter panels and the rear deck surround sheet metal. The seam was approximately at a 45-degree angle, and ran from the corner point of the fin inward, then down through that curved "cove" and back out to just inboard of the outermost taillight. Fisher body leaded in the part of the seam that you would see standing in the showroom, or at the curb, looking at the car, so it had a finished appearance. However, while body solder was flowed into the seam on the very underside of the horizontal fin, it was not filled and smoothed off, just had a transition at the point where the sheetmetal curved outward underneath the fin. (59's were done the very same way).

Art

Thanks for the reply. If I understand the statement you make about the seam, The raised parting line should be sanded down. Is this a correct assessment?

Thanks for the reply. If I understand the statement you make about the seam, The raised parting line should be sanded down. Is this a correct assessment?

Yeah. But if you want to be prototypically correct, use your razor saw to cut in that seam I mentioned, to just where the sheet metal curves downward, to create the visible seam I spoke about. Incidently, it is the same with the '59 in this area.

Art

• 3 years later...
  • 8 years later...
3 hours ago, Mike Chernecki said:

Anyone know where I can get interior decals for the '60 Impala in other colors? I wanted to do a two tone green Impala with green interior.

I've been wondering that too. 🤔

I like the '60 Impala kit as I have several of those. One other issue I do have with it besides the incorrect rear floorpan is the incorrect wheelcovers. They're carried over from the '59 kit, while the '60 style is a bit different. To the casual observer, they might not notice, but purists out there will see the difference.

On 1/24/2022 at 10:43 PM, Mike Chernecki said:

Anyone know where I can get interior decals for the '60 Impala in other colors? I wanted to do a two tone green Impala with green interior.

Scale Motorsport offers (-ed?) a Houndstooth pattern decal which would probably work if you panted the distinct areas on the seats first. *edit* Hmmm, maybe not if the door panels are truly green houndstooth over a green background*

1960ChevyImpalaInteriorGreen.jpg.af611e08dd87ba8a7e516906014786c0.jpg

Edited by Casey

On 1/24/2022 at 10:43 PM, Mike Chernecki said:

Anyone know where I can get interior decals for the '60 Impala in other colors?

If not, shouldn't be too difficult to make your own: First scan the decal sheet at a good high resolution, take the resulting image into your favorite image manipulation program ( Photoshop, PaintShopPro, GIMP, etc..) Use the color tools like "Hue-Saturation-Lightness" or similar to change the colors to virtually any color you can imagine, then print on decal paper. Will probably take a little experimentation to get the density, saturation, and so forth where you need depending on your printer, paper, and screen settings.