Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's Your Favorite Looking Domestic Engine

For the 30s and 40s, my favorite is the venerable flathead because it can be built so many ways but always looks cool!

For the 50's and 60's I'd have to say the 409 and the HEMI - with either one of them, you know what it is just by looking at the valve covers.

For the 70s and 80s I'd have to give the nod to the Boss 351 Cleveland engine. Again for the really cool valve covers.

For the 90s, I really like the Lotus designed, Mercury Marine built (LT5) ZR-1 because it is so distinctive looking. Sure, it's not fully domestic, but they came in Vettes.

Then there's a whole list of exotic engines (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lotus...).

So, what's your favorite engine and why?

Flatheads- and not JUST the Ford V8 variety. There's just something so inherently cool about an engine that is little more than a couple of Briggs and Strattons stacked together at the crank. They're totally utilitarian, but they just look awesome!

The last cool looking engine was the Boss 429. Covering that engine with one of those plastic shrouds you see nowadays should be punishable by death- you KNEW that engine was all business just by those valve covers!

1930's Cadillac V12 and V16... because of their elegant, clean design. No rat's nest of wiring here... these engines were not only engineered, they were styled!

caddy1.jpg

This be my favorite:

291_eng-vi.jpg

say no more...say no more...wink.gifwink.gif nudge, nudge

Yeah...those are also some fine looking motors!!

I thought this thread would get some interesting and really cool responses...

I don't have any pics but my choice would have to be the small block Chevy V8. There must a million different parts to enhance its' performance. Parts are readily available almost anywhere. It has to be the most popular engine in the car enthusiast world.

I've always liked the Small Block Chevy. Tunnel rammed (not polished) w/ a pair of double pumpers and velocity stacks. Fuel plumbing,plug wires and throttle linkage installed and routed clean. Mirror finish chrome valve covers w/ an old dual points ignition. Everything painted prior to assembly w/ a pair of white headers! Just as good looking as a Playboy centerfold.

Since I'm just as big of a fan of semi trucks as hot rods I'll just say the old NTC BIG CAM CUMMINS w/ the big after cooler is my favorite mule of an engine!!!

Edited by Semi Trailer Mechanic

Raul

I had a 70 Chevelle and a 78 NOVA both w/ the fat meats in the rear jacked up ("FOR TIRE CLEARANCE") that both had 307's in them at first. Both were built and ran like raped apes. Everyone I associated w/ back then wouldn't use a 307 for boat anchor but I always thought they were a good motor. My only complaint they had a short fuse until they grenaded. When they were built tuned and timed right all you could do was sit down,shut up,and hold on!!!

Ok, I think it's time to think outside the box and show everyone a real engine, and my favorite.

hero-s60.png

The Detroit Diesel Series 60

I've driven quite a few trucks with one of these under the hood, and loved them. One I had the pleasure of driving was a 500 HP model, and I could climb the steepest mountains in the Rockies with ease!

Since I'm just as big of a fan of semi trucks as hot rods I'll just say the old NTC BIG CAM CUMMINS w/ the big after cooler is my favorite mule of an engine!!!

I drove one truck, a wrecker, with that engine, and that thing could have pulled a house of it's foundation!!! The Detroit's are still my favorite, though!

For a stock engine, I would have to say the Cosworth Vega. Can't really explain why, though. I know it wasn't really a great engine, but I always thought they looked pretty cool.

75VegaEngine.JPG

As far as modded goes, the small block Chevy holds a special place in my heart. I always get that warm, fuzzy feeling inside when I see a nicely hot-rodded one... Oh, and no blowers or fuel injection stuff. Just a nice, tall single plane with a big 4 barrel on top. B)

434_825_engine.jpg

Duesenberg J straight-8 with Monel exhaust. Why? Well, just look at it! In 1932; the same year Ford introduced its 65hp flathead V-8, Duesenberg offered a street car with 320hp. One customer got one with 400hp.

FYI- the photo is a running 1/6 scale model.

Chenot002.jpg

Duesenberg J straight-8 with Monel exhaust. Why? Well, just look at it! In 1932; the same year Ford introduced its 65hp flathead V-8, Duesenberg offered a street car with 320hp. One customer got one with 400hp.

And if you wouldn't have posted it, I would have. The Duesenberg Straight Eight is stunningly beautiful by any standard, American or not.

My second choice (which is my first one now, since you beat me to the Duesy), is the Offenhauser four-banger.

offy-hilborn-mat-1.jpg

Edited by Junkman