Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/20th Parnelli-Ford VPJ4 #55 F1 1974

curt raitz

This is my current adventure into the world of 1/20th scale F-1 models.

Picked up the Bill Jorgensen Resin Conversion awhile back plus a set of decals from Indycals: www.indycals.net

Bill recommends using either the Tamiya Wolf or Williams kit as a donor.

Did not have either, but did have the Tamiya JPS Mk.III Lotus...so will be using it - hope it works

The Indycal decals are for the car Mario Andretti drove in the 1974 Canadian Grand Prix

Canad742-vi.jpg

Ford Cosworth Engine

2916703572_e0c7ae2f11-vi.jpg

Jorgensen Resin Kit and Indycal Decals:

P1065266-vi.jpg

Resin body/rear wing assembly/engine cover prepped and painted MM Classic White Lacquer:

ParnelliF1_b-vi.jpg

ParnelliF1_a-vi.jpg

Various parts prepped and painted. Inserted screws thru front spindles to hang front wheels on:

ParnelliF1_c-vi.jpg

Interior tub w/modifications:

ParnelliF1_d-vi.jpg

Already to mask and shoot the red paint, decal then clearcoat the body parts, assemble engine/transaxle/rear suspension, attach front suspension (gonna be a little tricky - has to go on after painting the body), finish interior tub w/driver figure and mount cockpit glass.

Tires present a problem...they have raised "GOODYEAR" on the sidewalls, Parnelli ran Firestones (decals provided by Inycals).

Gonna have to shave off GOODYEAR on sidewalls and prep for decal application

Stay tuned...more to come

Thanx for Lookin' cool.gif

Looking good, my old friend!!

Do you have to pay your elves extra for working on resin kits?

My elves refuse to work on resin kits, no matter how much $ I offer them. angry.gif

Later,

No, I have to build this one myself!

The reason your elves won't work with resin is due to their workers union:

the Elves Model-building Union...EMU, does not permit them to work with resin. EMU considers resin not only a hazardous substance, it also causes elves to hallucinate...

c;ya

Curt, does the decal sheet have the tiny little hood ornament "thing" that is in the center of the nose? I have been searching Google images for months to figure out what it is.

Thanks,

John

No, the decal sheet does not include the tiny little hood ornament "thing"

I have not been able to get a close up photo of it...not easy finding pictures of these cars sad.gif

Curt, you just amaze me with each build. Nice subjects, built cleanly and expeditiously. I don't know how you do it. I heard about the elves, but I understand that if you don't pay them enough or pay for their health insurance they get real lazy real fast.....

Keep them coming Curt. Looking great!

Chris

Curt, great job so far...the paint and decals look perfect...I really love those 1970's F1 machines. Loads of wings and scoops and less sponsorship distraction. Plus, you could go racing, back then on a small budget and be competitive. Most guys were running the same Cosworth V8. At the rate you complete models, I am sure this is a whisper away from completion.

• 2 weeks later...

Little more progress...

for lack of cockpit detail in conversion kit, decided to put a Mario Andretti driver figure in the car.

ParnelliVPJbodywithfigure_a-vi.jpg

ParnelliVPJbodywithfigure_b-vi.jpg

ParnelliVPJbodywithfigure_c-vi.jpg

ParnelliVPJengine_a-vi.jpg

ParnelliVPJengine_b-vi.jpg

ParnelliVPJengine_c-vi.jpg

almost done...just need to install front suspension, finish Mario's helmet, install engine/tranaxle/rear suspension and rear wing

thanx for lookin' cool.gif

Curt, I believe I found out about the "hood ornament"...

Parnelli's sig on top of a horseshoe.

0a952edc.jpg

I will be running out decals soon if you would like a copy (PM me with your address). Of course I won't put it on gold, will make it white.

By the way, great job! Can't wait to see more.

John

Curt, I believe I found out about the "hood ornament"...

Parnelli's sig on top of a horseshoe.

0a952edc.jpg

I will be running out decals soon if you would like a copy (PM me with your address). Of course I won't put it on gold, will make it white.

By the way, great job! Can't wait to see more.

John

Thank you

PM on the way

I just finished the model o'er the weekend, but it can wait for this decal

• 1 month later...