Model Cars Magazine Forum

JWAC "BOMB" 47 lowrider

MikeMc

I must say my efforts are not as good as this kit is!! Even with all the cutting I've done the assembly is as smooth as I have ever done, due to the precision fit of this kit!!

Tried some interior ideas Thanks to Cranky and Alex Kustov...the interior is a combination of their techniques and my own take. As I did a lot of lowering for this build my assembly sequences are different than the kit normally would have...and I am still not fighting anything at all!!!Thank you to Gary Stevens, Jairus Watson, and the Galaxie crew for this great kit!!

IMG_1502.jpg

Detail painting and matching sunvisors....check out those blue dots!!

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1496.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

Edited by MikeMc

Looking great! Glad to see you back on this as I love this car. The interior is grand!

I'm also happy to see you respected the Naugahyde Endangered Species Act. They were really over killed by the hunters using illegal Remington Roll & Pleat Specials during the '50s.

Guest JamesDE

This build is turning out really nice....

Some of you guys had mentioned about where to get the swamp coolers or a/c units from... Modelhaus makes some, or you can make some yourself...

009-13.jpg

This build is turning out really nice....

Some of you guys had mentioned about where to get the swamp coolers or a/c units from... Modelhaus makes some, or you can make some yourself...

009-13.jpg

Wish I'd known about them...might of invested, but mine turned out OK...

IMG_1518.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

Wonderful progress. I love the liberties you took with the interior. Excellent. Keep it going.

It was with your help and inspiration Virgil....paper, glue , and paint!!! wink.gifwink.gif

Looking great! Glad to see you back on this as I love this car. The interior is grand!

I'm also happy to see you respected the Naugahyde Endangered Species Act. They were really over killed by the hunters using illegal Remington Roll & Pleat Specials during the '50s.

Have to watch out for overuse and abuse!!!! tongue.giflaugh.gif

IMG_1515.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

Thanks for all of the excellent "in progress" shots and the tips. You are truly an artist.

Thanks, but I'm just an old fart who plays with plastic cars and tools. Most of the tricks are just good old fashioned hot rodding!

My goal on every model I build is to use a new technique. This one made me do BMF much better as it plays such a major part in the look.

I also used DamnCrankys interior tips for the wild hides! I will say again that kit is just plain fun to build!!B):P

Nice work..

I like what you've done with the interior, but why does the steering wheel appear to be nearly touching the seat? Do you have the column fully mounted all the way, or is it just laying in position for mock up purposes?

It just looks a little too low to be realistic. The poor driver would be pinned against the seat with that configuration you've got going on.

I'm not trying to flame or critique, but just asking a question in regards to the kit tooling...I have this kit but have never built the interior yet, so that's why I ask.

Nice work..

I like what you've done with the interior, but why does the steering wheel appear to be nearly touching the seat? Do you have the column fully mounted all the way, or is it just laying in position for mock up purposes?

It just looks a little too low to be realistic. The poor driver would be pinned against the seat with that configuration you've got going on.

I'm not trying to flame or critique, but just asking a question in regards to the kit tooling...I have this kit but have never built the interior yet, so that's why I ask.

Thanks Jeff

Good fair questions...The wheel looks a little lower than it really is due to the focal length, angle of the shot , and that the driver better be a little guy or gal :P

Now the whys.... One: in order to build the car as low as Jairus drew it up major work was done early in the build to slam the suspension both front and rear, this was done and was

crude which in the one to one world would result in a lousy quality ride....but looked good! Like many early lowriders were, then came the hydraulics, lift gates and 24v aircraft pumps....Now you could both

slam the car and drive at a near stock hight....but with 3000 psi hydraulics you would pop a line oiling and dropping that corner and was drawn pre hydraulics

Two: I did not want to cut the interior panels up as I channelled the frame in the rear and between the body mounts, interior tub mounts and the entire front clip trim job.Part of that

included shortening the firewall.I chose for assembly and alignment issues to shorten the firewall on the sides to get the 1/16" I needed to get it all sitting as the art shows.So it does

make it a bit close on this

What I have said here and elsewhere this kit IS the best kit I have ever built.....The fit, assembly, and detail is second to none, outside many more current and pricey kits

Subject.....not my normal build or even close...BUT by far more fun from this kit than any other I'v built If it is built close to the directions it will allow any one to sit in that plush old seat

As I noted previously it had to be a real period taildragger!! Thanks for the questions:)

this is "stock " wheel/tire combo

IMG_1401.jpg

this is final fit with wires

IMG_1435.jpg

this shows channel in floor pan filled in before finishing

IMG_1442.jpg

Looks great Mike, I was planning on doing my version with the stock parts, but I like the lowered look you have going. I may do a mild drop but will still use the stock wheels/tires.

I have used the bodies in this kit before for other various projects, but never actually built a complete kit with all the parts. The tooling does look great and well done.

Last question I have is how are the metal transfers? They look real nice in the kit but I've heard that they have adhesive issues and come loose. Are you using them on your version? or did you use strip styrene and BMF as an alternative?

I had metal transfer issues with the set that comes in the Tamiya MK-II Jag kit...I had to use a small amount of epoxy to get them to stop from lifting back up in some spots....

This project does look just like the drawing....nice work!