Model Cars Magazine Forum

2 Land Rovers

thebronze

That kit is one that I've been trying to get my hands on for years now. They go for a premium so I guess I should just bite the bullet and buy one despite the high cost.

What kind of engine does it have? Would you mind posting pics of it? If I remember correctly, they came with four different engines. A gas in-line 4 or 6 cyl. and diesel-powered 4 and 6 cyl. engines. All of which were very underpowered by today's standards. Some even came from the factory with three (yep, three) radiators for desert and/or MOD work.

What kind of engine does it have? Would you mind posting pics of it? If I remember correctly, they came with four different engines. A gas in-line 4 or 6 cyl. and diesel-powered 4 and 6 cyl. engines.

I have never heard of the six cylinder Diesel version. To my knowledge, the following engines were available in the Series III, which this kit depicts:

2.25 Litre 73 hp (54 kW) I4 (Petrol)

2.25 Litre 62 hp (46 kW) I4 (Diesel)

2.6 Litre 86 hp (64 kW) I6 (Petrol)

3.5 Litre 91 hp (68 kW) V8 (Petrol)

The I-6 petrol engines were seldom ordered and are very rare indeed nowadays. Can you please elaborate on the six cylinder Diesel version?

All of which were very underpowered by today's standards. Some even came from the factory with three (yep, three) radiators for desert and/or MOD work.

You would be surprised how well they pull, even with the four cylinder petrol engine. But three radiators? None of my sources indicate this setup was available from the factory. Are you sure you don't confuse this with the triple core radiator, which was usually ordered for severe desert or tropical conditions, as well as for heavy towing purposes? Where do you have this information from?

I have never heard of the six cylinder Diesel version. To my knowledge, the following engines were available in the Series III, which this kit depicts:

2.25 Litre 73 hp (54 kW) I4 (Petrol)

2.25 Litre 62 hp (46 kW) I4 (Diesel)

2.6 Litre 86 hp (64 kW) I6 (Petrol)

3.5 Litre 91 hp (68 kW) V8 (Petrol)

The I-6 petrol engines were seldom ordered and are very rare indeed nowadays. Can you please elaborate on the six cylinder Diesel version?

You would be surprised how well they pull, even with the four cylinder petrol engine. But three radiators? None of my sources indicate this setup was available from the factory. Are you sure you don't confuse this with the triple core radiator, which was usually ordered for severe desert or tropical conditions, as well as for heavy towing purposes? Where do you have this information from?

Well Christian, please forgive me for being mistaken about the Diesel engine and the triple-core radiator. Obviously, I'm not an expert when it comes to Land Rovers and I should keep my enthusiasm to myself unless I'm absolutely certain of what I'm talking about. In the future I'll be much more careful about what I post.

Well Christian, please forgive me for being mistaken about the Diesel engine and the triple-core radiator. Obviously, I'm not an expert when it comes to Land Rovers and I should keep my enthusiasm to myself unless I'm absolutely certain of what I'm talking about. In the future I'll be much more careful about what I post.

No no no, I was thinking I could learn from you, what with all these obscure export versions and stuff. See, I recently found out, that in Australia, quite a few of them were fitted with Holden engines from new. I just thought you know of something similar oddball.

No no no, I was thinking I could learn from you, what with all these obscure export versions and stuff. See, I recently found out, that in Australia, quite a few of them were fitted with Holden engines from new. I just thought you know of something similar oddball.

I'm sorry Christian. I had a rotten weekend and I misinterpretted your post. I really should be above such moments especally when it comes to a hobby board and for that I sincerely apologize to you and the board.

To answer your question, my facts are a little out of date. Here in the States, the only real publication there was for Land Rovers was a magazine called Land Rover Enthusiests which I understand doesn't exist anymore. The focus of the magazine was geared more towards people who own Series I's, II's, III's, lightweights and 101's and weren't as particular to how they power an old Rover as long as it's on the move. Every issue they would find some old gem which was all origional but again the majority of articles seemed to be more interested with thier interchangability so my knowledge on factory specs. is spotty at best.

Thanx for the interest guys....I picked these up almost 20 yrs ago at a garage sale. I saw the box with a $5 price tag on it, and when i opened it up there were 2 complete kits inside. I even talked the seller down to $3 :o ....Hahahahahahahahaha...I'll post pics of the chassis and running gear asap