Model Cars Magazine Forum

New home for the USGP

Apparently Bernie didn't learn anything when they ran the Grand Prix in Dallas in July of '84. I stood out there all day in 106 degrees just to watch the tops of rollbars go by. Poor Nigel Mansel collapsed in the heat after the race. The heat and humidity in Austin in the summer will make Dubai seem like a chilly spring day. There are so many premier road courses ( Road America, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, etc. ) that it seems ridiculous to spend the MILLIONS that will be required to start from scratch. If F1 couldn't draw in Indy, why would they think that the middle of Texas will be any better?

I just read about this in the San Antonio paper. Unbleivable! Just an hour and a half away! To the naysayers, yes Texas heat is bad, but spring here is awesome most years. The area is beautiful, and it is within a few hours of 3 of the ten largest cities in America. Not to mention all the rich Mexican nationals that come up here all of the time. The course is being specifically built for F1, so I'm sure it will fare better than a roval or a parking lot. I hardly ever post here anymore, and all the glass is half emptiness of this place reminded me why. USGP Austin will be great.

Cheers,

Greg

The race is scheduled for June 2012, just a mere two years from now. Not only has construction on the track not started yet, but a site hasn't even been found. There's tons of money to raise (North of $200 million I've heard), the land must be purchased, permits obtained, construction to F1 specs, etc., etc. And you know there will be some against it and court fights could result.

This is a long shot at best, I'm afraid.