Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Revell 1966 Chevrolet

Ron Hamilton

I am in the midst of converting Revell's new 1966 Impala into a Caprice 2-Door Hardtop. I have always wanted to do this car, and when the kit came out, I said to myself "Why Not"

2010_05271966CapriceHardtop0016.jpg

It was quite a bit of work to rework the roof panel and deck lid.

2010_05271966CapriceHardtop0018.jpg

I have to fix the various niks and scrathes in the body, cut the rear window in, Make up the rear window mouldings, as well as finishing off the interior area where the rear window was installed.

2010_05271966CapriceHardtop0019.jpg

I am also "reupholstering" the interior to the Caprice Upholstery Pattern.

It will not be absolutely perfect, but it should come out pretty good.

2010_05271966CapriceHardtop0017.jpg

Ron, that conversion is lookin' good! Rear window or not!

It's funny, I was five years old when this car was new, but I can still remember an Uncle of mine buying a new '66 Caprice four door hardtop. It was silver with a black vinyl roof, and he bought it right around the time he was building a new house.

Unfortunately, my Uncle passed away this past October...........I might like to turn one of these '66's into his car someday.

Ron, that conversion is lookin' good! Rear window or not!

It's funny, I was five years old when this car was new, but I can still remember an Uncle of mine buying a new '66 Caprice four door hardtop. It was silver with a black vinyl roof, and he bought it right around the time he was building a new house.

Unfortunately, my Uncle passed away this past October...........I might like to turn one of these '66's into his car someday.

Bill, I have laid out the rear window, and plan to cut it in today. I found a couple of good photos of a '66 Caprice Hardtop for some more details I am going to add.

I may do a '65 and '66 4-Door Hardtop if I get this one right.

I was able to get a little more done on the Caprice Coupe conversion of the Revell 1966 Impala SS. I installed the roof drip and vinyl roof mouldings, as well as cutting in the backlight and attendant mouldings. 2010_06031966CapriceHardtop20002.jpg

2010_06031966CapriceHardtop20003.jpg

I have done the tail lamps, and I am still working on the interior set up. I plan to wet sand the primer today to smooth out the base for the first color coat. I still have not decided what color to paint it.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

Very cool, Ron!

Did you use a sheet of plastic to form the roof? And what did you use to support it once it was formed?

And yes, a resin of this would be very welcome.

Charlie Larkin

Extended the kit roof, modified the side windows, and extended the trunk lid and backlight area using sheet plastic and putty.

I appreciate the comments concerning casting the body, but it is not good enough for that. Everything was "eyeballed" and no exact measurements were used.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been working on the 1966 Caprice Hardtop. I have reworked the roof to my satisfaction, as well as adding the rocker panel mouldings.

2010_0619ripdaddy20100019.jpg

I have decided to paint the car with Model Car World Marina Blue Metallic Lacquer with a Black Vinyl Roof and Interior, done with Testors' Acryl. I Bare-Metaled the body, and added black pin stripes.

2010_0619ripdaddy20100020.jpg

I mocked up the body on the chassis to see how everything looks, and I like what I see. I have decided to use the Chevrolet Mag Style Wheelcovers and Whitewalls.

2010_0619ripdaddy20100018.jpg

I still have to add the scripts and do a little touch up to the body. The upholstery pattern on the seats and door panels have been done, but I still have to do the finish work on the interior, chassis and engine. Looks like I have another couple of weeks on this one at the most.

2010_0619ripdaddy20100021.jpg

Thanks for all of the positive comments on this build. I am really enjoying this one.

Nice conversion on your caprice roof line any chance of us seeing a resin version of this available somtime soon? keep up the great work Ron..

Bud Ellis Kustoms

Unfortunately, I will not be having this body cast, as The Modelhaus has a pretty decent '66 Caprice Hardtop in their line. I did this one, becaue I thought that I had the skills to pull it off. Time will tell. Hold judgement until the finished product is presented.

I restyled the Impala SS interior into a Caprice Trim Level Interior(or something close to it). Also, I decided that the car would be equipped with the following items from the factory:

Sport Steering Wheel

Tilt Steering Column

Strato Back Bench Seat w/Center Arm Rest

Turbo 400 Transmission w/Column Shift

2010_06251966capriceinterior0009.jpg

2010_06251966capriceinterior0012.jpg

2010_06251966capriceinterior0008.jpg

I also added the wood grain trim to the doors and the dashboard. While it is not exactly like the 1966 Caprice interior, it is very close.