Model Cars Magazine Forum

Memorial Day weekend

Have a great weekend, but don't forget the reason for the holiday, to pay respect to those who have given the ultimate sacrifice. And to the men and women who are far away from family and friends right now, and in harms way.

So wave the flag, fire-up the grill, and have a fun weekend, but never forget why the holiday exists.

Cheers, RJ

Memorial Day is for those WHO DIDN'T come home. Those of us who DID were just doing our jobs.Those who DIDN'T come home are the HEROES! Those of us who DID, honor THEM. I NEVER thought of myself as a hero, and neither did the guys i served with, we're just like anyone else, except we served. Those young fellas out there now DON'T consider themselves anything more than a LOYAL citizen and an AMERICAN.

Memorial Day IS NOT for US, but for our BROTHERS who are NO LONGER HERE with us. THEY are the TRUE AMERICAN HERO'S and WE, the living should NEVER forget that!!!!! Semper Fi!!!!!!! God Bless America, and ALL her people!!!cool.gif

I work with a charity, Fueled by the Fallen, that memorializes fallen American troops from the Iraq and Afghanistan theaters and law enforcement professionals lost in the line of duty. Founder is actor Kevyn Major-Howard, most famous for his role of 'Rafterman' in Stanley Kubrick's 'Full Metal Jacket'.

The effort uses doorslammer drag cars as rolling memorials. Each car is painted in the accurate camoflage motif for a specific branch of service, then the names of soldiers are displayed on the sheetmetal. Each car- 3-Fox body Mustangs, 3-early Novas, a '70 Challenger, and two funny cars based on the East Coast- is a real operating drag car and they compete regularly at Irwindale Raceway in California. The Law Enforcement cars are a pair of Crown Vics with special graphics and electronics packages.

Kevyn has a way of doing special events on Memorial Day weekend with the FBTF cars. Last year they were displayed at Arlington National Cemetary in DC. This year the cars were taken to New York City for display at the Fox News Channel and an appearance on the Huckabee Show which airs three times starting Saturday evening.

Go to www.fueledbythefallen.com for more details and pics of the cars.

Edited by Rick R

Have a great weekend, but don't forget the reason for the holiday, to pay respect to those who have given the ultimate sacrifice. And to the men and women who are far away from family and friends right now, and in harms way.

So wave the flag, fire-up the grill, and have a fun weekend, but never forget why the holiday exists.

Cheers, RJ

I like that my friend, the more I pay attention to what goes on in this world I realize the sacrafices that have been made in the past for folks like us to live the lives we do.

Edited by speedy5963

Veterans have a special feeling in our hearts for our fallen brothers and sisters. What would a Veteran like to say to those fallen hereoes? How about this -

As long as we live, you shall be loved.

As long as we live, you shall be remembered.

As long as we live, you shall live.

That's the inscription from the Canadien Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

The flagpole in front of my house flies an American flag and a POW/MIA flag all day, all night, everyday and every night. A flood light illuminates both at night. The only time those flags come down, other than changing out for fresh ones, is when hurricanes come through. Then I bring down the 3' X 5' flags and put up smaller flags.

GOD BLESS THE USA!!!

Here is a story I shot about 4 years ago. Perfect for Memorial Day.

I couldn't embed it so you will have to use the link. Don't worry, it is not spam!

And while last I knew, he was still with us, it won't be long before he isn't. One from the "greatest generation" as they are called.

Edited by Ken