Model Cars Magazine Forum

FOX Mustang rust spots and faded paint ideas.

025.jpg

The obligitory Hatch rust (almost all FOX Mustangs have it)

030.jpg

Hood lip rust (Northern FOX Mustangs have this as well)

024.jpg

C-Pillar rust...due to crappy drainage and being a northern car.

These cars have bad rust issues at the lower rockers where the rear fenders meet them, and up front where the lower cowl meets the rocker upturns. Hatch rust is a given; the entire lip above the taillights will rot out along with the hatch latch area. Floorpans at the forward toe-board kick-ups and at the rear seat bolster. Above the gas tank (trunk floor) and at the K-Member mounting flange (frame) in the front fenderwell. Below the battery box and the lower radiator support will also vanish quickly.

020-1.jpg, 040-1.jpg

This is specific to sunroof/t-top cars as the drain tubes run to/down the A-pillar, and this one was clogged.

041-1.jpg

Better pic of the damaged area.

043-1.jpg

A better shot of the C-pillar carnage (where it will rust around the joint/hinge area).

044.jpg

Door damage from someone trying to align the door with a prybar and a 6 pack of stupid-juice.

046-1.jpg

This is the rust I was talking about in the framerail where the K-member bolts into it at.

wheelstiresandrearend006.jpg

Rust hole in the trunk floor (spare tire well) between it and the top of the gas tank.

Edited by whale392

wheelstiresandrearend009.jpg, wheelstiresandrearend011.jpg, wheelstiresandrearend013.jpg, wheelstiresandrearend015.jpg, wheelstiresandrearend012.jpg

These are pics of the rust areas in the floorpan. One is upside down, but I was under the car when I took it; it shows the rust at the lower control arm to frame mounting boss at the rear seat area of the car. Another shows the rust where the floorpans meet the rear seat bolster area.

wheelstiresandrearend016.jpg

Rust in the rear bumper......believe me when I say I hate working with Northern cars!

Edited by whale392

random085.jpg

Rear hatch surface rust between the GT wing and the hatch.

random086.jpg

Clearcoat peeling from around the hatch/taillight area.

random090.jpg

Where the Florida sun has not only eaten the clear AND the topcoat, but has also started to pit/deteriorate the poly plastic bumper cover under it. The natural color of the front bumper cover is a yellow polymer, and will show through when the paint either fades or chips away from it. The rear bumper is a reddish/maroon color as a natural, and as with the front will show through when the paint starts to fail. The roof and sheetmetal of the car will go to gray primer or metal if the sun burns through the primer coat. The next series of pics will show this.

random088.jpg, random089.jpg, random094.jpg, random108.jpg, random106.jpg

Side molding take a beating too, either becoming faded, discolored, or peel away.

random104.jpg, random084.jpg

Headlights become clouded and hazed yellow.....BADLY.

random091.jpg

I hope these have helped some, and I will post more rust pics when I have time. If no one cares, at least they are here for me to reference back to!

• 3 weeks later...

105-2.jpg, 104-2.jpg, 102-2.jpg, 101-2.jpg, 106-2.jpg, 107-2.jpg

These are some more pics of the spots that fail on a Southern FOX Mustang (paint always suffers, along with the drip moldings and interiors). The 5.0 badges will fade and the metal in the center of the 0 will fade bad.

100-2.jpg

Top of the passanger fender where the paint failed and the bumper cover is deteriorating under it.

099-2.jpg

Foglight surround and the damage/fade that happens to the paint and the clouding of the lens.

098-2.jpg

How the front bumper cover will start to shrink away from the headlight lenses and housing area, plus the paint failing there as well.

096-2.jpg

Front bumper starts to buckle down under the foglights from the heat they generate.

042-4.jpg

Rear bumper starts to fade bad where the breakover is (the transition from under the taillights to the body molding).

043-4.jpg

Body molding itself shrinks and becomes brittle at the edges.

041-4.jpg

Paint fades and becomes dull even on the underside of the rear spoiler.