Model Cars Magazine Forum

Poncho Project!!!!

cruz

I think you nailed the colors, that looks great!

Don't forget the piping that borders the dark color on the seats, a lot of restorations miss it. It's molded on the kit seats.

I think this is the only pic I've found that has the exact interior of the kit, some have bucket seats, or if they have bench then they've got different door panels!

62catintblue001-vi.jpg

Sorry I've been such a nit-picker, but the '62 Cat is one of my favorites!

Thanks Brett! Your "constructive criticism" has paid off!! B) I am always willing to listen. The photo you submitted is also very helpful, looking at it, I think I did nail it.... :o:P;)

Really awesome work there Cruz, I think you nailed it also. I am keeping all this reference and photos, definitely will be using it when I decide to build mine. Can't wait for you to start painting that body and adding the BMF and with the decals in place, it will most certainly be a show stopper!

Poncho perfect interior there, Marcos!

It should be noted that AMT's kit depicts a Catalina with the optional "Ventura" interior, which was probably pretty rare on Super Duty cars (and Catalinas in general in '62). In 1960 and '61 the Ventura was a separate model meant to fill the supposed price gap between the Bonneville and Catalina, with upgraded exterior trim in addition to a fancier interior. It was downgraded to being an interior option on the Catalina for '62 thru '65 and, to add to the confusion, became a separate model again in '66. Not sure, but I think it was dropped after that.

Marcos...

1) EXCELLENT work.

2) Thanks for the tip on that Pontiac Engine Turquoise. That color is correct from 1955-around 1965-66-67, somewhere in there. Although for those daring to be different, the six-cylinders in the 1964-65 Tempests were a slightly darker blue, about the middle shade of the interior blues...

3) On that note, I got a bit lost- what did you use for interior paints?

Very nice work, I'm enjoying watching this.

I think this is the only pic I've found that has the exact interior of the kit, some have

bucket seats, or if they have bench then they've got different door panels!

Sorry I've been such a nit-picker, but the '62 Cat is one of my favorites!

Brett, the AMT annuals from 1962 were Bonnevilles and I believe a Grand Prix, so they had different interiors than the Catalinas. On the Bonneville, leather-upholstered bucket seats were an option. Morrokide buckets with the console came on the Grand Prix.

Charlie Larkin

Marcos...

1) EXCELLENT work.

2) Thanks for the tip on that Pontiac Engine Turquoise. That color is correct from 1955-around 1965-66-67, somewhere in there. Although for those daring to be different, the six-cylinders in the 1964-65 Tempests were a slightly darker blue, about the middle shade of the interior blues...

3) On that note, I got a bit lost- what did you use for interior paints?

Very nice work, I'm enjoying watching this.

Brett, the AMT annuals from 1962 were Bonnevilles and I believe a Grand Prix, so they had different interiors than the Catalinas. On the Bonneville, leather-upholstered bucket seats were an option. Morrokide buckets with the console came on the Grand Prix.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks Charlie. I used the small bottles of Testor's for the interior. The first thing I did after priming was shoot Testor's Lacquer Nassau Blue Metallic on the entire seats. After this, I used the Model Master paints. I added some white to a bottle of light blue to lighten up the color. For the dark blue, again, I mixed some black to darken it. Of course, like I said, lots of masking!!

Looks better and better, Marcos! Sure Pontiac interiors from the '60s are a pain to mask, but when the results look like this it's all worth it! Careful research and careful workmanship win again!

Incidentally the '62 Pontiac annuals from AMT were Bonneville only. Though I believe the $2.00 "Advanced" Hardtop Customizing Kit had some Grand Prix parts as a custom option. Grand Prix would've required a different tool as it was on the shorter Catalina wheelbase. Something AMT only offered in '64 and '65.

Thanks Ed. I use Tamiya masking tape exclusively, really works great! Also, what I like to do, once I place my masking tape I will brush one coat of futre floor wax, this keeps the paint from seeping into the tape. Once you brush it, let it dry for about 5 minutes and add your paint! ;)

Thanks Ed. I use Tamiya masking tape exclusively, really works great! Also, what I like to do, once I place my masking tape I will brush one coat of futre floor wax, this keeps the paint from seeping into the tape. Once you brush it, let it dry for about 5 minutes and add your paint! ;)

Interesting idea, Marcos. Can you clarify a little... Are you brushing the Future along the edge of the tape to prevent seepage under the mask?

Interesting idea, Marcos. Can you clarify a little... Are you brushing the Future along the edge of the tape to prevent seepage under the mask?

John, you can do that if you so desire, I just brush it on the entire area to be painted and that's it, one coat of future, even from a brush is very light, doesn't go on heavy at all. I use this method a lot, specially when I do the masking for the windows of today's modern cars which, as you know, are mostly black.

Corollaproject004.jpg

Corollaproject005.jpg

Corollaproject007.jpg

Corollaproject048.jpg

Corollaproject075.jpg

Tamiya tape works great even if you skip this process, I just like to be safe and also, I am a little picky.... ;)

Okay guys, more updates on my Poncho! I will just post some pictures and let them talk but if you have any questions, shoot away, I am just a little tired today....... B) Worked a little on the inside panels and the dash, did a little BMF here and there and started using some of the P/E sheet also.....

PonchoProject10003-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

PonchoProject10005-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

PonchoProject10006-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

PonchoProject10008-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

PonchoProject10010-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

PonchoProject10011-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

PonchoProject10016-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

PonchoProject10020-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Very impressive.

Does the photo-etch include an option for the heater/radio controls?

Getting a late 50s/early 60s Pontiac interior to come out right is a challenge, and you're most certainly up to it Marcos. Great work!

Charlie Larkin

Thanks guys! I don't see an option for the heater/radio controls on the P/E sheet Charlie, I do have spare P/E parts from other builds, might find something in there I might be able to use! B)

More stunning work, Marcos! Just one little nit-pick... the fresh air vent on the kick panel (ahead of the door panel) shouldn't be chrome. In Brett's post (#53) showing the 1/1 interior it's painted to match the interior. Not that that little detail is going to distract from the stunning quality of your build!

More stunning work, Marcos! Just one little nit-pick... the fresh air vent on the kick panel (ahead of the door panel) shouldn't be chrome. In Brett's post (#53) showing the 1/1 interior it's painted to match the interior. Not that that little detail is going to distract from the stunning quality of your build!

Rats ;) and it looks so good foiled ;) Well, we have to follow protocol and seeing how much you guys are into my project with all your input, the foil will be gone! ;) Thanks John as well as the rest of you guys!!!

Rats ;) and it looks so good foiled ;) Well, we have to follow protocol and seeing how much you guys are into my project with all your input, the foil will be gone! ;) Thanks John as well as the rest of you guys!!!

Here is another picture and you are right John, it goes with the interior color. Also, there is no radio or heater buttons on the dash, I think I will leave mine as is... ;)

Here is another picture and you are right John, it goes with the interior color. Also, there is no radio or heater buttons on the dash, I think I will leave mine as is... :rolleyes:

alina_super_dutysteering_wheel-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki