Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is there a 1:1 thread?

I was wondering if there was a 1:1 thread where people could show off their real cars? I did a few searches and came back with about 500 results, and I don't have time to go through everyone of them.

I was wondering if there was a 1:1 thread where people could show off their real cars? I did a few searches and came back with about 500 results, and I don't have time to go through everyone of them.

There is a 1:1 Reference thread in both the car section and the truck section.

I will help you start one.

Daily 1:1 is a 2004 Tahoe with lots of hail damage, soon to possibly be replaced with a Honda Pilot... Not my first choice, but the bean counters rule.

Project 1:1s, Sorry for this Nick!

76 Toyota Celica RA29. Bought from original owner, bla, bla, bla...

frontsheetmetal.jpg

Plans include a single weber 45 sidedraft and that is it. Gotta get back to this one, but I keep getting distracted by things like this.

redsupra2.jpg

83 Toyota Celica Supra MA67. This one was rescued from the crusher and work started on it. Found a replacement engine in the form of another Supra. Got it, it was a POS so engine was pulled and I started to part it out. Then I was distracted with this...

hangercressi.jpg

This is an 86 Toyota Cressida. Plan was to take the 5 speed from the junk supra and install it in this. I got the limited slip diff installed and everything then last weekend happened...

Buddy of mine saw an ad on Craigslist(the bane of my existance lately) and this followed me home.

87cressiext1.jpg

One owner 140K 87 Cressida with the factory 5 speed. Pretty rare as far as Toyotas go. Original owner was a little old lady, literally. She kept really, really good maintenance records. I know the mileage, number of gallons and service station for every fill-up since new. I also know the mileage, type of oil, number of quarts and the tech's name for every oil change. I bought it from the actual second owner, but they had only owned it a year or so. Their daughter used it to drive around. They put less than 8000 miles on it in the last 15 months. I picked it up and drove it home and she ran great. It has the usuall issues for a 23 year old car. The front struts are shot, but that is no surprise as it was driven mostly on unpaved roads most of the time. Now of course, I have to get rid of the 86... :(

Edited by Ken

Only two of them are half dead. The Cressidas reside in the driveway, much to the wife's dismay :lol: The rest reside at a buddy's shop. He is just as bad as I am with the 'collecting' The blue one will be going away shortly. After that, work commences on the supra again. Parts are still being aquired for the Celica. Mainly just some hop up parts. No use in putting it together if I just have to take it apart again.

Edited by Ken

All righty, since I made the thread I guess it's my time to contribute.

My first vehicle, I built when I was fourteen.

'88 GMC S-15 long bed: I had it for about six-months before I gave it up for something faster. It had everything in it from a salvage-yard 305 to a 396BBC. This picture is the latest picture of it with just a mild 350.

engine029.jpg

engine035.jpg

engine034.jpg

I got rid of it in favour for a '95 Z28: I drove this car for three years and did almost every imaginable go-fast modification possible. I had it on the spray and literally grenaded the engine on the first pass I made. I followed it up by a Golen 396 small block short block, topped off with an LT4 top end...I never sprayed the new motor because I was scared. But naturally aspirated with drag radials and a lot of suspension work I ran a best of 11:98 with the AC on.

SUNP0002.jpg

SUNP0001.jpg

toys.jpg

As with any hot rod/toy it naturally broke down a lot. So that made me look for another vehicle to drive while it was down. I got a VERY good deal on a 70 Chevy SWB pickup with a 454. I paid $800 for it after the original owner tore the front end out from under it. It was on air ride and he did something stupid and popped on of the front air bags at 70 MPH and all but wrecked the truck. I tore all the airbag stuff out of it and stuffed a 80's 1/2 ton front suspension under it and a modest 350. With the front air out and sitting on the bump stops and the 454....I couldn't fit a jack under it. This truck also played the Guinea pig as a template for me to explore the air of bodywork. I shaved almost everything eventually.

Jackynogoey.jpg

toys.jpg

untitledPS.jpg

untitled5.jpg

Edited by Maaso

I eventually sold the Camaro and got tired of getting 4-miles per gallon in the truck. I parked the truck and bought myself a GMC Syclone. Which I don't can't find any pictures of at the moment. I drove it for about 3-months before I got offered an insanely stupid amount of money for it(4-times more than I paid for it.) Which I took and later found out the guy I sold it to wrecked it a few weeks later and it got sent to the crusher. As much as I loved the Syclone; I wanted another one. Which I eventually found in the form of of a Typhoon. This truck came with a larger turbo and few go-fast goodies. One night I hit a deer and caved the front of the truck in, tore off the front fender flare, and the deer went under the truck. I rolled over it and it ramped the rear end of the truck in the air and into a bridge embankment. Insurance literally told me word-for-word that they didn't want to find parts for such a rare truck so they gave me the ultimatum to total it or they would drop me for not cooperating. So I let them haul it away while I took the pay-off amount and bought myself a '99 ZR2 S10. The Typhoon later showed up at a dealer auction. And the owner of the local Ford dealership bought it, fixed it and restored it to 100% factory. It now sits on his showroom floor collecting dust. I'm glad this one didn't go to the crusher....but I'm upset because it's not for sale.

untitled6.jpg

P8300143.jpg

PA110169.jpg

PA110167.jpg

The ZR2 is my current vehicle. I've had it for about a year and a few months ago I blew a head gasket and blew the motor. So I decided if I was going to replace the motor I'd make it worth it. I built up a 383-stroked Vortec L31 engine and dropped it in. I've put almost 5000 miles on the truck in the past month and it runs excellent.

Muddy.jpg

0_IMAG0327.jpg

0_IMAG0368.jpg

DSC00568.jpg

DSC00571.jpg

Maaso,

I hope your insurance agent doesn't read this! Blown engines and wrecks seem to have a way with you. I like both your white trucks! The Typhoon is one rare piece. How did it rate in the 'fun factor'?

I hope your insurance agent doesn't read this! Blown engines and wrecks seem to have a way with you. I like both your white trucks! The Typhoon is one rare piece. How did it rate in the 'fun factor'?

I was young and didn't care about anything, and my driving style reflected it. I grew up after paying almost 10 grand for the engine in the Camaro, and the blown engine in the ZR2 wasn't my fault.

Believe it or not, neither the Syclone nor the Typhoon were that fast. They were quick, but my Camaro could run circles around them. They rated very high on the fun factor though.