Model Cars Magazine Forum

vintage Pete lil window 359 DONE!!

This is the first model kit my Dad ever built, he bought quite a few but this is the only 1 he ever started. i aquirred his collection here bout a year ago. ( he just has to may truck collections, winross, first gear ect.) ad i hated to see um stashed away never to be built , many i wont open, the open 1s i'm gonna build, i/m gonna build this one like the box art on the side, 2 tone green w black accents..i also have the fruehauf that was meant to go with it. then give it to him to put in his display case. (he's a Pete freak also, we have 5 and going to pick up # 6 next weekend..lol) what you see is how i got it, the detail on the older kits is realy evident..back when they cared if they were correct..

Scott

CIMG0185.jpgCIMG0186.jpg

CIMG0190.jpg

CIMG0187.jpg

CIMG0188.jpg

Edited by Scott S

Looks to me like you have a T500 kit box and inside is the original T500-500 kit. The plastic is molded in blue and the decal sheets are the original style with the orange GS Carter logos. The later T500 had white plastic and brown GS Carter logos. Your sleeper is white? That tells me the sleeper was added to the kit as the "mail in" or this was a very very early T500. Rare kit. GREAT kit. Love it!

Tim

Lol, yes i expected tim to chime in.. it is a very early T-500, w /the white sleeper, visor included in the kit. not a mail in, dad bought this in 69 , started it in 69 and its sit since.(i was 8 when puchased..lol) i would not even have touched it but he removed all the parts from the sprues, and assembled the frame and motor. i would assume it is devalued due to its partial assembly anyways. as i said the matching fruehauf is also there to be built. it is opened but untouched. i'm amazed at the amount of chrome parts in this one. Tim, engine would be huron green correct, trans color? i wanna build it pretty much box stock as close to the green one on the side art... i will gladly take any tips, suggestions on how to do it justice,(mostly interior) please feel free to point me in the right dirrection..i'm kinda glad its a builder, i'd hate to just sell it off and not enjoy such a nice kit.

Scott

That's pretty cool you have Dad's truck and will be finishing it for him. I've wanted to build that green 359 on the box myself. As to engine color, any Peterbilt of this vintage will have a white engine, regardless of engine manufacturer. Good luck on this build.

Well, i primed and sealed most parts, painted engine 1 coat flat white, and shot cab and part of frame. cab is meadow green, frame hunter green, i think colors look OK. how bout some opinions. should look neat w black accents. box art shows rears and steering axle red.hmmm should i or shouldnt i? that is the question...lol

Scott

CIMG0191.jpg

CIMG0192.jpg

CIMG0193.jpg

CIMG0194.jpg

My opinion is, I think you need more paint on the frame! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, maybe paint the hubs the lighter green to contrast with the frame? I would also detail the front hubs to look like Stemco oiler hubs. (silver cap with a tiny black circle and then a tiny red dot in the middle of the black circle) I think that really adds appeal to it.

Edited by Ben

My opinion is, I think you need more paint on the frame! ;)

Seriously though, maybe paint the hubs the lighter green to contrast with the frame? I would also detail the front hubs to look like Stemco oiler hubs. (silver cap with a tiny black circle and then a tiny red dot in the middle of the black circle) I think that really adds appeal to it.

Right on the stemco oil hubs & the plug came that was rubber & came in black or red. The tiny dot you call it was a weep hole in the center of the rubber seal. for some reason as long as I can remember auto car had many green trucks with red axle hubs.

I did the axles, and hubs in the lighter green, and i'm going to do the stemco hubs like suggested. i like the look. thanks, tge green i'm useing on the cab,sleeper, isnt exctly what i wanted, but i just couldnt find a color i was happy with, and i think this color is more period correct. not flashy, just a working truck color.i'll post more pic's later in the week, i head n out on the road tonite. (frozen food doesnt like to wait to be delivered..lol)

Scott

My opinion is, I think you need more paint on the frame! B)

Right on the stemco oil hubs & the plug came that was rubber & came in black or red. The tiny dot you call it was a weep hole in the center of the rubber seal. for some reason as long as I can remember auto car had many green trucks with red axle hubs.

Actually, Ken, I think what Ben was referring to by section of the quote I highlighted about the tiny red dot is how to replicate the Stemco hub in scale. I believe the tiny black circle he is referring to is the clear area of the hub sight window, which appears black with the oil in it. The tiny red dot would be in the middle would be the rubber plug. Now if you have a really small brush and want to super detail it, you could put another black dot inside the red area representing the red plug to represent the weep hole you mentioned!

Actually, Ken, I think what Ben was referring to by section of the quote I highlighted about the tiny red dot is how to replicate the Stemco hub in scale. I believe the tiny black circle he is referring to is the clear area of the hub sight window, which appears black with the oil in it. The tiny red dot would be in the middle would be the rubber plug. Now if you have a really small brush and want to super detail it, you could put another black dot inside the red area representing the red plug to represent the weep hole you mentioned!

(toshay) I'll say one thing about this older model, they were the best & if you wanted to paint hubs they were separate section , separate frame rails I mean they had holes in rails for parts to fit but when you wanted to extend frame I found it easy with a new frame section & drill holes where you wanted things & no chance of bowing.nothing what you get today. I could care less how scarce it is, it is pure greed to ask such a price as they do because it's an out of production. this is just the way I feel about it. I think back than when they were making these there were not that many interested in modeling than as they are today . today if something isn't moving people stop making it like stores stop selling a item you can't get it any longer. just my

thoughts.

The weep hole???????? LOL I just replaced a couple real Stemco caps today. The red rubber plug is only about 3/4" in dia. .

The weep hole (in scale)would be prettttty darn small!!!!

I actually have mastered a really nice Stemco oiler hub and added almost all the detail of the real one. Theres six tiny bolt heads and the sight glass is recessed and then the center plug protrudes a tiny bit from that. There should be some pics on my Fotki site if anyone wants to see them. They would be under "model truck wheels"

www.public.fotki.com/lotso

MVC015F-vi.jpg

Here's a resin copy of the Stemco hub I machined out of aluminum and added aluminum bolt heads.

Edited by Ben

By the way, Ben, do you have molds for the wheels and tires you have pics of? I seen a few I'd maybe like for some other future projects.

I just make the masters for them. I used to do the casting as well but got burned out with it. All those wheels can be purchased through Jamie Rahmoeller though. He usually supplies Sourkraut models with all of them.

Your link goes to the same pic I posted?

Either I'm blind or blonde, but I didn't see the pic! :lol: You must have put that pic in when you edited the post when I was looking at your fotki page!

I just make the masters for them. I used to do the casting as well but got burned out with it. All those wheels can be purchased through Jamie Rahmoeller though. He usually supplies Sourkraut models with all of them.

Do you have a link for Jamie? It seems whenever I look at things on Sourkraut's site, they are always out of the good stuff! :lol:

hey ben how can i get a hold of jamie? or can you have him contact me please. im wanting to get a set of the rims as well. and i had to have a couple of these old petes too, but they came from evilbay. cant wait to see this one put together. thanks for any help on the rims

dennis

as for the as for the rear diff's color issue, i say do green over black. i believe the diff's come black to the factory( at least in o8, when we got our 389, you could tel they just painted orange over black). but ask Tim, he knows more than me :lol: