Model Cars Magazine Forum

SilverState SuperTruck WIP

Scale-Master

The foam is from a Tamiya paint pen. Has to be a virgin to sacrifice the foam, one per pen as I recall.

As far as the booties for master cylinders (and oil breathers), you can try punching out donuts from the Styrofoam trays that come with many prepackaged foods.

I like the dark gray that sometimes comes with beef and also mushrooms for air cleaners. Yellow comes with chicken, white with some beef, and blue also with some mushrooms.

I make the punches from brass tubing. Using different telescoping sizes you can make a donut in one punch.

Excuse my Ignorance Mark,But what is NOX?? Is it like NOS?

Thanks,Jeff

Also,how is the Super 7??

Years ago (about the time frame this truck is from) NOX was used to describe Nitrous Oxide injection systems that were made by another large performance company (other than NOS brand) that also made nitrous systems. I was implored by my contact there not to refer to their system as NOS, but NOX when I was building one of my Super 7s with replicas of their parts. While incorrect chemically, it is fitting for this build.

Today that company uses the chemically correct N20 term or simply refers to them as Nitrous Systems.

The Super 7 is fine thanks, why do you ask?

The foam is from a Tamiya paint pen. Has to be a virgin to sacrifice the foam, one per pen as I recall.

As far as the booties for master cylinders (and oil breathers), you can try punching out donuts from the Styrofoam trays that come with many prepackaged foods.

I like the dark gray that sometimes comes with beef and also mushrooms for air cleaners. Yellow comes with chicken, white with some beef, and blue also with some mushrooms.

I make the punches from brass tubing. Using different telescoping sizes you can make a donut in one punch.

I almost forgot what we were talking about here "virgins" and "booties" I started looking for the pics of the sexy mommas LOL! just kidding great job bro , but what do you mean when you say "Has to be a virgin to sacrifice the foam" ???

Somehow I missed this thread, & it's amazing!! Great work Mark, very creative & "inventive". :lol:

Not meant as a thread hijack, but one of the best ways to replicate texture is with Testors lacquer fabric sprays.

You can also set a part in the back of your spraybooth & let the overspray from something you're painting land on it for texture. The distance the part is away from the actual spray pattern will determine how much overspray gets on it, & gloss paints will build up overspray on the part faster than flat paints will. No pics of that, but it's a simple technique to learn & apply.

:(

That's pretty much the bulk of what I did too. Practice with different paints, distances, pressures, thinning... Just keep it dry.

Thanks for the input!

I machined a few aluminum parts, a fuel filler and vent tube, and a pair of valve knobs for the nitrous bottles. I guess one could call them “scratch-built†if they had to…

DSC08939.jpg

The HID lights are installed and the bumper is attached. I made reflectors with bulbs that are tinted blue. In some angles the blue comes through. Also added a screen grille. Even though the only kit source items (other than the truck body) are the light lenses, this still does not really rise to the level of calling these additions scratch-built.

DSC08940.jpg

I don't mean to be a buzz-kill here, but the real NASCAR trucks don't have actual lights...they're decals. They don't need headlights because the track has its own lights, and I think there's a law against racing them in the fog.

Follow along Mr. Taylor… (Please read earlier posts for explanation.) Not a Nascar/truck, anymore. Nascar doesn’t allow nitrous either, did you miss that too?

And thanks for trying to participate. ;)

I don't mean to be a buzz-kill here, but the real NASCAR trucks don't have actual lights...they're decals. They don't need headlights because the track has its own lights, and I think there's a law against racing them in the fog.

Mark,

I believe the real reason NASCAR - be it trucks or cars - uses decals instead of operating lights is that the real lights would not conform to the body contours of the race vehicles. They only resemble the street versions at 150 MPH-plus.

Edited by skeck

Mark,

I believe the real reason NASCAR - be it trucks or cars - uses decals instead of operating lights is that the real lights would not conform to the body contours of the race vehicles. They only resemble the street versions at 150 MPH-plus.

That is good to know. I wasn’t sure how fast it could go. 150 is good. Thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jeff, if that's the worst you can see, I'm doin' good on this project...

Great work man!!.....You're doing awesome...The paint details really make this thing pop..Nice clean building, the way it should be. Thanks for the updates. Keep em coming..

Mark, that is looking very nice, I've been watching for the start. ;) I wanted to ask, though, what is the blue thing on the steering wheel? I've not seen anything like that before.