Model Cars Magazine Forum

1976 Broadspeed Jaguar XJC-12 Racing coupe

Plasticfanatic

This is my in progress attempt at making a curbside model of the Broadspeed XJ12, a car I have wanted to have in my model collection for a long time.

This are the earlier stages of the construction and a lot of bodywork,blending and sanding is still ahead, but is slowly getting there.

This is by no mean a perfect scale model, but so far I like the results and looks, the interior will also have to be made from scracht of which the right hand dash will be the most complicate piece to make. I wish could cast this body in resin and do more versions of this car, but there no great interest in this type of cars on the scale model market....I would also like to do The version of this car used in the 1970's New Avengers "Steed green Jaguar"...the front is a little different than the Broadspeed competition coupe but not that complicated...unfurtunately I will not do another body conversion..so only the Layland/Broadspeed car will be in my 1/25 collection.

Hope you like it.....will post some photos latter of the car in it's first coat of primer....which make it look better than the "dirty bodywork" ones shown here.

001-vi.jpg

002-vi.jpg

003-vi.jpg

Edited by Plasticfanatic

Where on earth did you find a coupe kit? Who makes this?

This is a scrachtbuilt body made by me, it use as a "base" a quite reworked,bent,sanded and laminated AMT 1970 Dodge Super-Bee body,the roof portion(purple color) came from a 1971 Monogram Barracuda with the A and C pillars fabricated in plastic sheet and blended with epoxy modeling putty, you can still see the "intake Super-Bee" moulding under the back side window on the body, which by now is already filled and sanded.

This is a scrachtbuilt body made by me, it use as a "base" a quite reworked,bent,sanded and laminated AMT 1970 Dodge Super-Bee body,the roof portion(purple color) came from a 1971 Monogram Barracuda with the A and C pillars fabricated in plastic sheet and blended with epoxy modeling putty, you can still see the "intake Super-Bee" moulding under the back side window on the body, which by now is already filled and sanded.

WOW!

:D Anyone who can turn an AMT Dodge into a Jag has my admiration. Now that I think of it, anyone who can turn an AMT anything into something has my admiration. Keep us posted on your progress.

You really made me smile with that comment about AMT :) .....how about a Pro Stock Ford Fairmont of Bob Glidden made from a AMT 1965 Pontianc GTO and Dodge Road Runner :D .....I find myself using these kits for "other things" quite a lot!!!!

030-vi.jpg

I love this....if they won't give you what you want..you went out and made it. Great job. That is what this is all about...expressing your creativity and having fun. The satisfaction of doing it yourself is immense. Keep it going...we're all watching.

Thank you a LOT for those words, your modeling work have been quite an inspiration for me.....it not only show the building/craftmanship proses of those magnificents scrachtbuilt models you made but the vision of styling and execution....simply SUPERB!!

John Steeds V12 coupe is one of my all time favourite cars. Such a shame they didn't carry on the coupe with the series 3 XJ6.

I was about to ask where you got the kit when I saw that you had fabricated the body from a Super Bee??????

That's just amazing

That is some amazing scratchbuilding work! I'll be following this, as I love old racing Jaguars. I built this Group44 XK12 some years ago (Provence Moulage 1/43) and have the Grp44 XJS that I started prep work on. I wonder if your project was ever done in 1/43 resin.

post-6100-1277402780948_thumb.jpg

That is some amazing scratchbuilding work! I'll be following this, as I love old racing Jaguars. I built this Group44 XK12 some years ago (Provence Moulage 1/43) and have the Grp44 XJS that I started prep work on. I wonder if your project was ever done in 1/43 resin.

That's a beautiful XK12!! There a 1/43 Broadspeed Jaguar XJ12, it was available in resin kit form and fully built from the factory, they look quite impresive, but are getting harder and harder to come by and are quite expensive since they where limited run and no longer in production.

I will like to do the Hasegawa XJS TRW race car coupe, actualy two the regular version and the wide body, but the asking price for those kits lately are in the "moon and beyond"

Would love to see pictures of your Group 44 XJS proyect.

A little update on this project, I put a light coat of primer to see all the imperfections and parts that still need putty for blending and/or sanding...there a LOT to be done as you can see in the pictures, the Super-Bee side vent molding have the plastic "plug" now but still need putty to blend it with the rest of the body.

Rework a AMT Porsche 935 Martini back wheel/tire with a filed down BBS center from a Fujimi wheel set(like the front ones) to better represent the actual look of the Race car, still undesided if scrachtbuilding the actual racing wheels found on the real car....to be honest I like the "BBS LOOK" more...will see!! The back spoiler and bumber where made from .060 styrene sheet and solid square, shaped with some heat,dremel tool and sand paper, still not finished either.

Also started in the interior rollcage and right hand dash, again used the Super-Bee dash as a "fundation" for the new Jaguar dash, the wheel come from the sapare box and is identical as the one found in the real car. The rollcage still needs two more back tubes to be completed, the floor "stampings/detail" have a little "artistic licence" since finding photos of the real deal in this area is next to impossible...at least in my searchs!!

Again by no means this is a 100% percent replica of the actual car, but I really like the results so far compared with real deal.

001-vi.jpg

002-vi.jpg

003-vi.jpg

010-vi.jpg

011-vi.jpg

Here is the Jaguar XJ12 with another future project, the Tamiya Martini 935, for this Porsche a compleat interior will be fabricated since the "motorized tub" was a no,no for me!!

I got this Porsche a a gift from a very good friend of mine and also terrific modeler, but he is more into American Muscle Cars/Hot Rods so he pass this model to me, THANK YOU N.L.!!!!

007-vi.jpg

Amazing work. Thanks for sharing!

This is off-the-wall, off-the-hook incredible :lol: I'm not sure where to start! I'm assuming your gauge bezels are plastic tubing cut *very* short. Can you tell me how you were able to create them?

When I saw the first pic, while sitting on the front porch with my laptop, I blurting out "WHAT THE-- HOW THE--" ...and woke up my neighbors :lol:

Nick

Edited by zak78

This is off-the-wall, off-the-hook incredible :lol: I'm not sure where to start! I'm assuming your gauge bezels are plastic tubing cut *very* short. Can you tell me how you were able to create them?

When I saw the first pic, while sitting on the front porch with my laptop, I blurting out "WHAT THE-- HOW THE--" ...and woke up my neighbors :lol:

Nick

Thanks Nick, really appreciated!!

You are right, the dash instruments bezels are made from evergreen plastic tubing and where cut a "little" oversize in lenght and sanded down both sides then an angled inside radius(to make it a litter thinner) was cut with a new X-ato No.11 blade, after they where glued to the dash a last light "block sanding" will even things up in the dash/bezels area...aluminum or brass tubing would be better and thinner but since at the moment did not have the correct diameter at my workbench material stock and finding a hobby shop(IF you can find it!!!) in my area that carry them is almost impossible, made them in plastic, think they came alright in the end.

Fred