Model Cars Magazine Forum

Early 60s Chevy stepside / fleetside beds?

Are the pickup beds on Chevy pickups the same 1960-65? I have a bunch of the AMT 1960 Chevy trucks which are fleetside beds and I'm wondering if I can swap the beds with the recently re-issued Revell 1965 Stepside allowing an accurate 1965 Fleetside or 1960 Stepside.

Thanks

No problem. Actually, the basic Stepside bed is the same from '54-'87, with the main differences being the fenders, running boards, and the cross supports. There's also differences in the number of boards/skid strips depending on year and bed length, but the bedsides, front panel, and tailgate are all the same, '55 2nd-'87. '54-'55 1rst have slightly different bedsides.

The fenders are the same from 1955 through '66 and will look right on any early '60's pickup. In '67, the box sides were similiar except for the mounting holes in the box sides for the more rounded fenders. The stepside box from a '55 stepside will do the job for you with no problem.

The fleetside box came into being in '59 with the long wheel base '58 Chevy and GMC's all being stepsides. The 59 long box was a one year only piece because in 1960, they went to the box design that carried right on through to 1966. Again, in 1967, they went to a new style box that was used until 1972 .

and uh.. likewise - if you want to part with one of those fleetside boxes.. :rolleyes: *nudge nudge, wink wink* *grins*

The Fleetside actually came out in mid '58, in both short and long beds. The only model it was not available on was 1 ton, which used a longer wheelbase than the long bed 1/2 and 3/4 tons. One note about the early Fleetsides, the tailgate and front bedpanel are the same through '66.

58ferry.jpg

This is a pic of my buddy Sqeeze's '58 3200 (longbed 1/2 ton) from Stovebolt.com.

Edited by Longbox55

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.. I never knew that they had the fleetside in '58. I stand corrected and yes, I knew about the tailgate being the same but never realized the headboard was also the same. Guess you learn something new every day. :(:(:(

th_55ChevyPickup.jpg

On a 1:1 the stepside boxes are the same from around 1954 through 1987 or what ever the last year they made it. The only difference was until 1972 they also had a longbox stepside and the fenders changed with the body styles. I had a 1969 GMC long box 3/4T 4x4 and I found this out when I was looking for a replacement box. Just realized part of this was already stated sorry. But the earlier bed side tops sloped at about a 45 degree angle. This was the box from the 30s until 1953.

th_Pickup.jpg

Edited by ARTEMIS1759

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.. I never knew that they had the fleetside in '58. I stand corrected and yes, I knew about the tailgate being the same but never realized the headboard was also the same. Guess you learn something new every day. :D:D:D

They had The fleetside Cameo Carrier in 1955 1/2 body style to 1957 but all it was was a stepdide with fiberglass fenders. As seen here:

th_53217412_pr.jpg

th_0902cct_05_z1955_chevy_cameo_carrie.jpg

Edited by ARTEMIS1759

The long bed Stepsides lasted all the way to '87, though they were uncommon due to the popularity of the Fleetside. Most of them went to commercial use trucks as a delete option. The sheetmetal shop my dad used to work for had about a dozen of them, ranging from 1/2 ton to the '84 1 ton that also had the HD emissions system delete (dual exhaust) option. The Cameo ran to mid '58, the GMC version ran all the way to '59.