Model Cars Magazine Forum

'99 Chevy Silverado

yellowtruck99

Off to an awesome start man. I am building this same kit also. I kind of got myself into a bit of a pickle with it though. I am trying to make my own concept to this truck by shortening it up a little and making full size compact truck (so to speak). I cut right under the window of the crew cab and pushed the box underneath to shorten it, all was good until I came to the frame. I think I have got this figured out, but I am going to keep watching your build and see how you hinge the doors and try it with mine, if I dare LOL. Keep up the good work man will be watching.

Thanks guys. Here are some more, did this today:

First headache down

P6260003-vi.jpg

The panels for the doors are a little smaller then I was hoping, so I'll have to add some sheet styreen (sp?) to it.

P6260006-vi.jpg

Biggest problem is going to be the passanger rear door. Its a suicide type opening door, barely any space for a hinge so I'll have to be creative...maybe make it a Gullwing door B)

• 2 weeks later...

I had to wait till I got a pen vise drill (the best tool I have bought so far, highly recomend one if you don't have it). I had to custom make some leaf springs for the suspension stock one is the bottom:

P7050003-vi.jpg

Needed to make those for the new tires, Supper Swampers!!!

P7050002-vi.jpg

P7050004-vi.jpg

The brass pins are temporary just to see if everything fits, then I'll make all the adjustments

P7050005-vi.jpg

P7050006-vi.jpg

P7050007-vi.jpg

For the leaf springs, I got the idea from here:

http://public.fotki.com/modeljeeper/models/working_leaf_suspension/

Edited by yellowtruck99

i'm working on a 67 chevelle ss 396 that i goofed the two tone paint job up on and i'm working on a 69 nova as well as a model 359 peterbuilt for my wife and last but not least my 29' phaeton jwac build. but i do have a chevy truck model that i'm going to be working on as soon as i clear some of the other projects out.

Interesting build. I was wandering how you were going to do the rear door...looks like you've got it all figured out.

It never occured to me that there was going to be no room for a hinge on the rear passenger side door till after I cut the doors out. More future planning next time I guess. This is going to be more of a "show truck" then a floor model, so I figured on making it a little more crazy and creative. This is all a learning experience for me, thanks guys for keeping up

• 2 weeks later...