Model Cars Magazine Forum

What do you do before building a Diorama ????

Barbo

Hi... Every model builder has its way of building dioramas.. In my case , when building a diorama with a structure, first I do research and a scale sketch, this helps me visualize the concept. And prevents me from buying non-needed materials and accesories. If the structure exists , I use photos . Also a preliminary cardboard model can make me decide any changes. If the diorama does not contain a structure so I do a free- hand drawing of my idea, list of materials and accesories starts the journey...What do you do before building a diorama ?.......Barbo

Same happens to me.. George ,,I do not do ''weathering'' I also like them neat and clean .I know that this has cause me not to win in many events , but, I do my dioramas for fun, not for competing , and this is what makes a hobby special. Win or not, fun is all about it........Barbo.

Most of my dios start from a need to display a given model in a realistic setting. I almost always start with a vehicle(s) then work from there. If I need support models to finish a dio I'll scratch or modify kits as required. Sometimes I may have to use a diecast to get the particular model required to complate a story line.

I only do light weathering to indicate use. I never could get excited about a pile of rust.

Thanks

Carl

Hi........I am with you George...I do not criticize weathering , I respect model builders with the art of weathering . Its part of the realism in a great diorama , and it is not easy. For example war dioramas , train modeling and models for movies with special efects with out weathering , is like eating pancakes with out syrup, its a must......Barbo

Welcome....dptydawg. and thanks for posting your way of building dioramas . It is very interesting knowing how a modeler works it , whats important for me in planning and building a diorama maybe its not important for another model builder....but the final idea can almost be the same....Barbo.

Hi guys and thanks for the welcome.

I have built a few dioramas over the years. I've been lurking arouond this forum for a while but didn't have a great deal to offer until the dioramas showed up. My model building is primarily construction, emergency, agricultural or commercial. All are 1/25 scale.

This is one of my dioramas that I built a few years ago as a means of displaying the Ertl IH 1466 tractor and plough kit.

DSCN1815.jpg

The ground work is drywall compound, tinted with acrylic paint and covered with model railroad ground covers. Most of the equipment in the truck bed is scratch built and the figures have been repoised.

DSCN1814.jpg

DSCN1811.jpg

Thanks for looking

Carl Avis

I am a little different when it comes to "planning" dioramas. I tend to plan as-I-go. I like building weathered/rusty old trucks that are weathered just enough to still be useful and heavy weathering to wear they have been rotting in the field over time. I will usually build several models of these and once I have a collection of them, I will look to build a dio using 1,2 or more of them using them to help tell the story that will be told in the dio.

I usually have a building or a focal point that is not one of my models. The ideas for this focal point is usually gotten from a book, magazine, website, old picture or from my off-beat mind. Once the focal point is decided on, I get an idea for its size and will draw it out on a base. I place the cars/trucks around it and start building. I will figure out my "filler" as I go. My base is usually wood and I wil use moulding around the edges. Here is one I started recently:

The focal point is a tanker shaped gas station. It is squared on the base with the cars I will be using around it.

tankgarage1-11wholeview.jpg

Here is where I am at today:

woodedareabasewoods.jpg

The building was removed to build the slab of concrete that it will be resting on.

This is the idea I got from a book:

misctoyplaneskeleton32009.jpg

Check out my photobucket album for more in-progress pics.

Mike Napoleon ... Welcome to our free minded home..''Dioramas'' I am also happy about this . Knowing the methods that each modeler has from planning , elaborating and building his own diorama ,helps us understand this great hobby. There are many books and magazines around the world that can give us ideas, sugests technique and building process for our benefits. But the truth is , that every model builder will make its own path with great results....Barbo.

My diorama building starts with the storty or idea. What story do i want to tell and how can i best tell it. Do i want humor. Is it interactive? Then i figure out what i need in the scene to tell the story. For esample, on Easy as 1-2-3 i specifically wanted to show a progression of the rebuild of an old 32 Ford and the best way todo it was with 3 small bases.

For example. This dio started because i had a new wooden toilet seat that i wasn't going to use. So, why not make it a dio base. And, dwhat kind of dio would go on it. An outhouse of course. And the strory is, there will be some teenage kids in the old gtruck pulling over the outhouse with Grandpas still in it. Working on the figures now. That's how this story developed.

DSC00064.jpg

• 6 years later...

Well , the difference for me and my dioramas is the fact that I do models of buildings that either "Were built " or still standing . With that, I'll travel to get copies of building permits , copies of plans , ( provided they're on file ). and photographs of the building in it's lifespan . I also solicit interviews of people who have "First hand " recollection of a building .

I have also done hand sketches and cardboard or foamcore mock-ups. The mock-ups are a great way to judge just how big its going to be as well as what the viewing/photo angles will be. On my latest "bookend" diorama I did a concept in 3D software (Solidworks). But I also did a quick full sized mock-up too.

a-vi.jpg