Model Cars Magazine Forum

What do you think .....? (I am kinda stuck...)

Hey gang,

I have been working off and on on a Revell Crusader motorcycle, I have sliced and diced and done a bunch of interesting things, but now I am stuck. I want to do a more elaborate carburetor/blower system, but have two problems. First, I can't find any aftermarket parts that will really suit my needs, second, I really would not know how to do this in a 1:1 situation, so obviously can't do it precisely in a 1/12 situation. My thoughts are to just "go for the cool" and if it is not mechanically proper, oh well..... Is this wrong, or should I just keep reading and researching......and hope I figure it out someday?

What do you think....?

Thanks!! Mike

For a blower system, I think the most common is a twin set up. If you look at the twin blowers on the bottom of the last engine pic, you would basically see that same thing mounted onto the carb. This would allow the air in and force it into the carb faster. Otherwise, I only really have seen hats on the carbs. I believe I have seen someone master those twin blowers like that, but I can not remember who for the life of me! I remember they had heated and stretched sprue to do it though. They had wrapped it around a tube in the center I believe?

For a blower system, I think the most common is a twin set up. If you look at the twin blowers on the bottom of the last engine pic, you would basically see that same thing mounted onto the carb. This would allow the air in and force it into the carb faster. Otherwise, I only really have seen hats on the carbs. I believe I have seen someone master those twin blowers like that, but I can not remember who for the life of me! I remember they had heated and stretched sprue to do it though. They had wrapped it around a tube in the center I believe?

those blowers are a pre-production run of shucky's (mike deluco)

more information is found here http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32401&pid=326659&st=0&#entry326659

This is a correct set up. The exhaust is not connected. If you look at the heated metal there is an open circle. The exhaust spins the turbo's impeller and then exhausted. The air for the intake comes into the bright silver side of the turbo. It is compressed within the turbo housing.

I hope this helps.

Mike

This is a correct set up. The exhaust is not connected. If you look at the heated metal there is an open circle. The exhaust spins the turbo's impeller and then exhausted. The air for the intake comes into the bright silver side of the turbo. It is compressed within the turbo housing.

I hope this helps.

Mike

exactly

the airfilters arent hooked up yet and neither are the exhaust

this is almost like having an engine with just the headers on there :unsure:

I hope this helps.

Mike

Ah, got it!

Folks,

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. What if I just wanted to use venturi/carbs instead of blowers? If I just used a carb from parts box that looked "right" would it matter if it was wrong? I guess my initial question should be rephrased... when building, if I can't find thr right parts, should I bluff with other parts that look right and cool, or should I abandon that part of the build? I could just use an aircleaner with FLAMES (oh Lord...) on it. Or should I just sculpt something "cool" that looks like it would start? What would you do....art....or function? LOL

Mike

Folks,

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. What if I just wanted to use venturi/carbs instead of blowers? If I just used a carb from parts box that looked "right" would it matter if it was wrong? I guess my initial question should be rephrased... when building, if I can't find thr right parts, should I bluff with other parts that look right and cool, or should I abandon that part of the build? I could just use an aircleaner with FLAMES (oh Lord...) on it. Or should I just sculpt something "cool" that looks like it would start? What would you do....art....or function? LOL

Mike

I see it this way, Mike, if you like how your idea looks, go with it. The should be no reason for you to abandon that part of a build UNLESS you aren't happy with the outcome. Also, don't worry what others may think of how your idea looks, as long as you're happy, that's what counts! On the flipside of the coin, though, in cases where you ask for options and opinions, carefully read the responses just like the ideas you've gotten here, maybe even mock one or two of the best ideas up. Then if you still can't nail down the idea you like, take a couple pics of the mock ups of the ideas and ask us again! B) There are many wonderful builders with wonderful eyes for detail, I've asked for opinions a few times also, and sometimes someone will mention something I either didn't notice or never thought of. I, like most of the other builders here, would be more than happy to help anyone in any way possible.

Highway,

Allright, thanks for the reply!! You know, it is a little bit unnerving at first, I am still trying to figure it out, plus asking the best of the best for some advice on my little dog-and-pony-show-and-all-I-have-is-the-dog, know what I mean?

Did a mock-up of what I wanted, a real mechanic would probably point out all my errors,. etc. but it looks cool!! Ran two spliced tubes out of the intake on the engine, split them up so one on the left and one on the right of the bike, put two box-part carbs on, two stacks on that, going to run cables, etc., but it looks cool! So, in my mind, is is "right" or "art", "form" or "function"? I am sure that question would bring a lot of responses, and I can learn a little from each and every one.

Still working out the taking good pictures and posting, steep learning curve on my end, trying to do all the tasks it takes to take advantage of this great forum and the great people here. If I can get a mock-up, will post and you can tell me what you think. Thanks again for the encouragement.

Mike

Highway,

Allright, thanks for the reply!! You know, it is a little bit unnerving at first, I am still trying to figure it out, plus asking the best of the best for some advice on my little dog-and-pony-show-and-all-I-have-is-the-dog, know what I mean?

Did a mock-up of what I wanted, a real mechanic would probably point out all my errors,. etc. but it looks cool!! Ran two spliced tubes out of the intake on the engine, split them up so one on the left and one on the right of the bike, put two box-part carbs on, two stacks on that, going to run cables, etc., but it looks cool! So, in my mind, is is "right" or "art", "form" or "function"? I am sure that question would bring a lot of responses, and I can learn a little from each and every one.

Still working out the taking good pictures and posting, steep learning curve on my end, trying to do all the tasks it takes to take advantage of this great forum and the great people here. If I can get a mock-up, will post and you can tell me what you think. Thanks again for the encouragement.

Mike

No problem, but I will be the first to admit I'm far from best of the best! :) Also, I'm not a professional mechanic, but I know my way around most anything mechanical pretty well, and have worked on most everything with wheels, even tractor trailers, so if you want advice or help, please don't be afraid to ask me! I enjoy helping whenever I can, and if I think you might be able to do something different, I'll let you know, and give you my suggestion of how to pull it off, not just say "That's not right!" or "I wouldn't do it that way!" like a very select few do. I gained much knowledge from the older modelers in the former club I was a member of, and they helped me become a better builder, and I enjoy helping in the same way.

The easiest way I've found to post pics is through Photobucket, that's what I use. The pics come out nice, and it's as easy as copying and pasting. The way I do it is I open Photobucket in a separate window than the forum, then copy the Photobucket IMG code, then go back to the window where I have the forum reply open, then paste the IMG code in the reply. Here's a link to the thread posted in the Tips section on posting photobucket pics:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12248

I'll be watching for the pics! :)