Model Cars Magazine Forum

Other models?

Do you build "other" models?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Do you build "other" models?

• I only build cars
    • I build cars/trucks/bikes (any or all)
    • I build other models occasionally, but my main focus is cars/trucks/bikes
    • I build all kinds of models

I've built a little bit of everything, ships armor, aircraft, sci-fi... I'm building 1/25 scale right now because I am able to, and I really enjoy it... I suffer from a muscle disease that has robbed me of a good bit of my fine manual dexterity and the parts are big enough for me to work with. I used to build 1/700 and 1/350 scale warships. Several years ago I built a 1/700 scale CV-6 USS Enterprise WWII aircraft carrier, with a complete airwing for a friend. I can't build that small anymore... but yes, I would like to see an "Other Models" section to showcase other Genre models...

Edited by Wagoneer81

Harry, I build mostly cars but I do have other interests, mostly aircraft. There is a "but" attached to that, in that I generally build non-mainstream type stuff, e.g. egg planes, photo etched aircraft, and other unusual models. Here is my current work bench to give others an idea of some of the stuff that exists.

wrightflyer.jpg

Here is another of my stranger pieces.

frontleft.jpg

Right now we don't have a section for truck WIPs, so they have to go "On the Workbench."

If we add an "Other Models" section, I'll move anything I find in "Under Glass" or "On the Workbench" that doesn't belong there to the "Other" section, so that the "other" models don't get mixed in where they don't belong.

I was wondering what was up,cause my 29 pickup got moved out of there like a stray dog in a school yard, a month ago?

That is a beautiful Wright Flyer, Pete. Also, I'm no "egg"spert, but is that supposed to be a P38 Lightning? :lol:

Thanks - The P38 was inspired when Red bull announced that they were restoring "White Lightening" a rather famous P 38 that had crashed. This was my humorous rendition of what I thought it would look like. If you are a fan of P 38s you have to see this video of the real thing.

This is beyond a shadow of a doubt the most beautiful war bird on the planet. It should be the pride of the Red Bull air fleet.

Great, Pete! Now you've aleinated the space modelers.

:D I originally had Sci-Fi but figured that they all fell into one of the three categories. All real space vehicle go through air to start with and the Sci-Fi falls into each of these categories in some fashion. The only thing I have any trouble

with if Figures, but for the most part they are "land" except for Fantasy stuff. So maybe we need Land, Sea, air and all the other stuff as categories. :)

P.S. Steve- I didn't know you did space vehicles?

:D I originally had Sci-Fi but figured that they all fell into one of the three categories. All real space vehicle go through air to start with and the Sci-Fi falls into each of these categories in some fashion. The only thing I have any trouble

with if Figures, but for the most part they are "land" except for Fantasy stuff. So maybe we need Land, Sea, air and all the other stuff as categories. :)

P.S. Steve- I didn't know you did space vehicles?

Never have done space, Sci-Fi, or figures - not that there's any thing wrong with them.

On a more serious note: Planning on attending the IPMS Nats?

Harry - Perhaps a minimal division such as air, land, or sea would be helpful if this actually comes about. Kind of give it a little bit of direction.

Since this is a model car forum (and of course trucks and the occasional motorcycle), if we do put up an "Other" section it would just be a generic place to post any model that's not a car, truck or bike. I don't think it would ever get segmented into specific categories...after all, there are already other forums out there dedicated to sci/fi, armor, figures, ships, etc. This would just be a "catch-all" type area for whoever among us is into any "other" models. The hard-core armor, ship, plane and other builders wouldn't be here in the first place.

Never have done space, Sci-Fi, or figures - not that there's any thing wrong with them.

On a more serious note: Planning on attending the IPMS Nats?

At this time there are no plans though I would love too. Kind of wasting a lot of vacation time recovering from some health issues so getting time off is going to be an issue, so I guess we will have to see.

to me there is no problem with doing other models cause there are tricks you may learn from planes and trains you can use on cars and truck models.

I do such a mix from cars to planes to war gaming pieces,what I learn from one I apply to the other. and you know what ,it also improves your skills with out you knowing it someday's cause you don't relize what your doing to improve the model till its done

Harry smile.gif

I like "SWOOPY" streamliner trains from the 20's and 30's, along with the "Art Deco" bicycles of the same time period, including the 40's.

Got one of each on the drawing board to be scratched-up, from pattern supplies.

The train will be a "Custom SCREAMLINER sort of "Lead-Sled" Hiawatha crazi-ness - Gotta find me some scale trucks (Wheel sets).

Be fun to share-um here - dave

NYCCommodoreVanderbiltb-vi.jpg

Edited by Treehugger Dave

Harry smile.gif

I like "SWOOPY" streamliner trains from the 20's and 30's, along with the "Art Deco" bicycles of the same time period, including the 40's.

The train will be a "Custom SCREAMLINER sort of "Lead-Sled" Hiawatha crazi-ness - Gotta find me some scale trucks (Wheel sets).

NYCCommodoreVanderbiltb-vi.jpg

Dave, what scale do you need trucks for? If you're thinking of doing that in HO scale, Revell AG reissued an old Monogram mold of a Union Pacific "Big Boy" a couple years back.

HPIM1711.jpg

I think they also have a Hudson and also some European train kits, any of those should set you up.

If you're thinking bigger, MPC had an old 1860s era steam engine called "The General" in 1:25 scale!

Harry smile.gif

You should call it the Kitbash Cannonball. Let me know if you want help making the graphics. :) And thanks for sharing. :D

I'm a model railroader too (without a layout for the last twenty years, but whatever!)

Dave, the Commodore Vanderbilt is a great choice. I don't think anyone ever made one, even in brass.

Monogram made a very nice static display Hudson, as previously mentioned. Where that engine is a J-3 underneath (N.Y.C.'s code for the Hudson,) I'd find one of those and use that as a starting point. The tender could probably be made from one of the Big Boy tenders, as it's about the right shape, but might need to be shortened and channeled a little. Hey...just like a chustom car. I know you can do that!

I say post it anyway. I think a lot of us would really like watching you do it.

Charlie Larkin

Harry, what ever happened to this idea in the "Thread for Ideas for New Topics/Categories" thread that Gregg started?

I know Rome wasn't built in a day, but I thought this was a very nice idea. So far the only section that was added from these ideas was the "Pickups, SUVs, Non-Commercial Trucks" in the Model Trucks section.

The problem with creating new categories and/or arranging others is that there will be some data loss.

No matter how careful I am, or what I do to back everything up, according to the law and bible of Mr. Murphy, It Will Go Wrong.

So, I am taking everything into consideration, and will see what steps I can do to mitigate any damages that may, I mean, will occur.