Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to paint the "tinted section" of windows

I'm currently working on the Revell Enzo (wish I had the tamiya one, it's on the list for the future though)

I'm using SteveHansens tamiya version as one of my references.. Right now, this is where it sits. (sorry for the low quality pictures/lights used the iphone)

What I'm wondering how to do is any hints or tips yall have that would make it easier to make a template for the rear and front windows so I can paint the black "tinted" areas on the insides of both windows.

post-6526-12776099096894_thumb.jpg

Edited by 97v8

For tinting windows, I use Future and food coloring.

1. Coat the entire windshield with Future (I usually just dip it into a vat of the stuff, set it on paper towels and blot the excess that pools near the edges with a paper towel)and let dry overnight.

2. Repeat step 1.

3. Mix the desired color of tint using food coloring, more color is desired as the Future will be applied in a thin coat.

4. Quickly Dip the desired portion of the windscreen in the tinted Future, blot at the edges and let dry overnight. DO NOT TRY TO GET IT DARK IN ONE COAT as the Future is very thin and will dissolve itself if not allowed to dry.

5. repeat step 4

6. to remove any drips or slight errors, use a qtip in clear Future and rub the color away.

I have used this technique to great success, check out the bubble top attached...it is green with a clear front area. :)

post-4666-12776118982091_thumb.jpg

When I used to tint the windows of my models I would go to the local auto store and buy actual window tint rolls. now you can buy it from Wal-mart by the foot. you can apply it then use your exacto blade to cut it to fit your windows. Romell :)

If I read your last paragraph correctly, you want to know how to do the black window surrounds on modern windows? Try Sharpie type permanant ink markers. make your lines on the inside of the glass. Follow the raised edge on the window. If there is no raised edge, mask out each edge. Perhaps try this first on a scrap window.

• 9 years later...

29 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

I prefer to eliminate extra work whenever it is possible. Windshield tint is one of those extra work steps, Steve. :D

It comes in green and smoke, too.

Green is perfect for most of the models that I build!

The only issue that I see is that the website that you would be ordering from looks a little screwy to me.

Everything is in Yen, not really certain what country it is coming from, (I'm guessing China).

I'm not really sure that I trust it.

You would think that some American on line hobby material provider would carry these.

I googled the description of the product and came up empty.

Correction.

I found these on a few other sites, all European.

One of the sites had them marked as a "future release".

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Can't do anything about the price, Steve. Stateside online stores have an aversion to carrying what they consider "off" brands. That's too bad; because, there are a lot of cool and useful items available outside the usual suspects.

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Green is perfect for most of the models that I build!

The only issue that I see is that the website that you would be ordering from looks a little screwy to me.

Everything is in Yen, not really certain what country it is coming from, (I'm guessing China).

Yen would be Japan.

Which website looks screwy to you ?

Edited by martinfan5

15 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

Yen would be Japan.

Which website looks screwy to you ?

The first one that Joe posted a link to.

"Hobby Search".

Way too cluttered and complicated looking for my taste.

I don't have any knowledge as to whether it's a reputable operation or not, I just don't want to try to navigate the site.

The ebay listing that Joe provided is a much simpler operation.

Even though it's a few dollars more expensive, it's worth it to me to not have to wade through all of the jetsam and flotsam of these complicated web sites.

Steve 

2 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Sakura Japan has all three shades for $16.40 w/free shipping.

That seems like a steal, considering how many windshields you can do and it's shipped from Japan? 

If I was that deep into my details on models, I would jump on it. Considering I can barely finish a kit, much less worry about the tint shade across the windshield, I am happy to get the bumpers glued on!

25 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

"Hobby Search"

If you look to the right of the item, you'll see the following information:

Manufacturer : Hasegawa
Series : Hasegawa Trytool
Release Date : Early Jul., 2018
List Price : 1,188yenabout11.06USD
Sales Price : 1,045yenabout9.73USD
Points Acquired : 10pointsOther Currencies
JAN code : 4967834719293
Item code : TF929