Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to paint the "tinted section" of windows

4 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

The first one that Joe posted a link to.

"Hobby Search".

Way too cluttered and complicated looking for my taste.

I don't have any knowledge as to whether it's a reputable operation or not, I just don't want to try to navigate the site.

The ebay listing that Joe provided is a much simpler operation.

Even though it's a few dollars more expensive, it's worth it to me to not have to wade through all of the jetsam and flotsam of these complicated web sites.

Steve 

Its 100% reputable. you do what's best for you.

If you keep doing something long enough, by the time you have it down and can do it easily and quickly, someone will come along with a better way. :rolleyes:

I'll keep doing mine my way, they fit every time. ;)

IMG 2469

Edited by Can-Con

18 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Green is perfect for most of the models that I build!

Steve, The tint band on most North American cars is actually dark blue. ,, with either clear or light green/blue tinted glass.

Over time the tint band will turn more of an amber/brown color. It has done this on both my T/A and my '68 Electra.

The only green or grey tint bands I remember seeing were on some Asian or European cars. 

3 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Steve, The tint band on most North American cars is actually dark blue. ,, with either clear or light green/blue tinted glass.

Over time the tint band will turn more of an amber/brown color. It has done this on both my T/A and my '68 Electra.

The only green or grey tint bands I remember seeing were on some Asian or European cars. 

You're probably right Steve, but with the green tinted glass, the band always looked a little more on the green side to me.

I prefer the tint band to be a bit more subtle.

Steve

image.png.9a5c9b47dd16d2aa17a6118a7c92d847.png

2v29hKR5FxwUbWP.jpg

2v29oYYGQxwUbWP.jpg

19 minutes ago, peteski said:

Hobby Search is in Japan and their site is cluttered (like most Japanese hobby-related sites).

That's my only criticism.

Simplicity is worth a lot to me.

Time wasted sitting in front of the computer trying to figure out how to order a singular item on a confusing website is time I could have been spending at the bench. ;)

Steve

On 7/20/2019 at 6:29 PM, SfanGoch said:

Sakura Japan has all three shades for $16.40 w/free shipping.

As of about thirty seconds ago when I clicked on this, only green and smoke were listed.

Yeah, it's expensive, but for some people, it's just the ticket.

I'm going to try my luck with paint, although the major concern I have is building up noticeable thickness. I suppose if I do it inside, it might work better.

Charlie Larkin

1  for the black edges around windshields i use a wide sharpie...if u mess up 90% alcohol will remove sharpie.  i actually use 70% hand sanitizer cause its in gel form n easier to control.

2  for the tint at top of windshield if u can find a wide blue sharpie it works great.