Model Cars Magazine Forum

'71 Plymouth Barracuda "Puffer Fish"

AlanNZ

The Pontiac GTO came out ok. Paint gave me a bit of a headache. But not enough to discourage me completely.

So here's my next project.

A supercahrged 1971 Plymouth Barracuda.

DSCN2634.jpg

The kit itself is, I think, not very lifelike and the mouldings have quite a few defects, but what the hell, it's winter and I'm sick of TV and the ski season hasn't kicked into high gear yet....

So, body straight out of the box. You can even make out the sink marks in the photo. B)

I'm planning on removing all the moulded in window and wheel trim, shaving door handles and suchlike.

DSCN2538.jpg

The kit bonnet (hood) is not attached in any way and has securing clips moulded in. I'm going to clean it all down and forward tilt it.

So, I'm off to start glueing stuff together....

Had a bit of a think about where to go with this thing. I have a picture in my mind of what I want it to look like, so I decided to start with the body.

A quick inspection of the body showed up numerous defects. Sink holes, mould lines, you name it there was at least one of them!

Started out with the basics and sanded off the gutter, door handles and wheel arch trim along with the clips from the bonnet and applied a liberal coating of Tamiya putty.

DSCN2603.jpg

The rear panel just seemed to be one long series of sink marks

DSCN2604.jpg

And those tail light recesses just look stupid....

The front and rear valances were a rough fit at best. A bit of putty to go in there..

DSCN2636.jpg

And there is this huge gap underneath the headlights????

DSCN2605.jpg

The rear bumper fit is not too flash either. A bit more putty to be put to good use here too!

DSCN2606.jpg

Anyways, it's a start...

I've got to the point where I can put together a mockup

DSCN2683.jpg

Getting it to sit like that might be another problem altogether though.

These are the cast metal wheels

DSCN2635.jpg

Shame about the solid infill....

So I took to them with a drill and a dremel

Now they look much more lifelike.

DSCN2837.jpg

Started mucking around with the rear suspension.

Here's a rough coilover I made.

DSCN2640.jpg

Alan, that's the old JoHan "Sox & Martin" Pro stock Cuda kit, from around 1971! Testors just used the molds to make it their Pro Street Cuda kit. It's got ALL kinds of old mold flash and dips in it. Your lucky you didn't get any short shots in it! It CAN be made into a NICE kit with patience, and it looks like you've got that! Take your time do as your doin, an I think you'll be happy with your results. In it's original form, it was a nice kit!smile.gifwink.gif

A bit more bodywork done. Enlarged the tail lights so they look a little more realistic and have got the lenses fitting flush.

DSCN2836.jpg

I have no idea how the tail light lens strip was supposed to fit in the tail light recess.

So I chopped it up to make a lens that at least fits the recess for it..

DSCN2835.jpg

Rear bumper fitting properly now. Unsure whether to cut exhaust holes in the rear valance?

DSCN2838.jpg

I've also nutted out the bonnet (hood) hinge system. Took abit of trial and error, but it was quite fun!

No photos yet though.....

Progress is slow but fun.

A bit more bodywork done. Enlarged the tail lights so they look a little more realistic and have got the lenses fitting flush.

DSCN2836.jpg

I have no idea how the tail light lens strip was supposed to fit in the tail light recess.

So I chopped it up to make a lens that at least fits the recess for it..

DSCN2835.jpg

Rear bumper fitting properly now. Unsure whether to cut exhaust holes in the rear valance?

DSCN2838.jpg

I've also nutted out the bonnet (hood) hinge system. Took abit of trial and error, but it was quite fun!

No photos yet though.....

Progress is slow but fun.

Just a suggestion, but with the work you have done to clean up the body, I think I'd remove the guards from the bumpers so the front & rear valances would be a little cleaner looking, & possibly even do the bumpers in the body color too.

Edited by horsepower

• 4 weeks later...

Right then, time to get back into it.

Amazing how "other stuff" takes over huh?

@horsepower, yeah I was quite keen to remove the overiders but there is a matching mould line in the lower valance panel, so they stay. You can see the panel I mean in dwc43's post it's the second from top.

btw, thanks for those photos dwc. very helpful!

Anyway, following a major messup with the hemi engine involving a jar of MEK it has been on hold for a while waiting to find another engine. Eventually I got another kit, but it's 1:24....DOH.

So, I have taken a step sideways and I purchased a Sidewinder kit and I'm going to kitbash the two together.

Essentially the Cuda body on the sidewinder chassis with the V10 engine.

Not quite sure how I'm gonna make it work yet, but, hey, the worst I can do is finish up with a really good parts bin and a whole lot of scrap styrene.....

Right then, time to get back into it.

Amazing how "other stuff" takes over huh?

@horsepower, yeah I was quite keen to remove the overiders but there is a matching mould line in the lower valance panel, so they stay. You can see the panel I mean in dwc43's post it's the second from top.

btw, thanks for those photos dwc. very helpful!

Anyway, following a major messup with the hemi engine involving a jar of MEK it has been on hold for a while waiting to find another engine. Eventually I got another kit, but it's 1:24....DOH.

So, I have taken a step sideways and I purchased a Sidewinder kit and I'm going to kitbash the two together.

Essentially the Cuda body on the sidewinder chassis with the V10 engine.

Not quite sure how I'm gonna make it work yet, but, hey, the worst I can do is finish up with a really good parts bin and a whole lot of scrap styrene.....

Welcome,anytime. :D

Hey Brett, Oh rats....

Ahh well. Thanks for the offer anyway. :P

So after this thing has sat on my workbench for a day or two I decided that I'd better either do something or bin it completely...

First things first,

The Testors cuda body only has a 108mm wheelbase, the Sidewinder chassis has a 113mm wheelbase, so I have to lose 5mm out of the chassis length.

DSCN2926.jpg

Out with the measuring stick and the razor saw and hack 5mm out of the chassis rails.

DSCN2928.jpg

no going back now.....

Going to use the channel in the top of the chassis rail to provide a convenient location for some reinforcing for the new join. It's galv. wire too, so no chance of rusting. :huh:

DSCN2929.jpg

I've checked the track on the sidewinder and its 73mm, so should fit inside the cuda body shell with a bit of luck, if not I'll have to narrow the track somehow. Any good ideas?

Decided to use as much of the sidewinder as I can, so I'm going to incorporate the two interior tubs.

Cut the floor out of the sidewinder tub and made a template for cutting out the cuda tub.

DSCN2924.jpg

Actually I mucked this up a bit as I didn't think to cross check the tub position relative to the front suspension. Now I have to replace a bit of floor somehow...

DSCN2925.jpg

Anyway, progress I guess.

Finished resizing the bumpers. Had to cut the front bumper to lose a 1mm out of it to get it fitting correctly.

Got them put back together and painted with chrome paint. Not overly chromey finish if you ask me but I kinda like it regardless.

DSCN2930.jpg

Oh and I had a crack at a bit of scratch building.

There are no mirrors with this kit and I saw a rather cool set of mirrors on a car in a magazine and decided to try to replicate them.

Started with a piece of sprue and cut it down the centreline. Then took to it with a flat needle file until I was happy with the shape (kinda like a cone) then cut them off the sprue and finish sanded smooth. Then bent a bit of 0.7mm wire to shape and drilled the backs of the mirrors and the doors. Finally glued the mirrors onto the wire and the wire through the door and bent flush against the door and glued.

DSCN2918.jpg

Came out alright I thought.

I've checked the track on the sidewinder and its 73mm, so should fit inside the cuda body shell with a bit of luck, if not I'll have to narrow the track somehow. Any good ideas?

Is the track the front or rear track width? Also, can you post a pic of the front and rear suspensions? I've never had the Sidewinder, so I'm not familar with it. If the track is good, of course you have no problems, and if it fits very close to the fenders, you should be able to get away with just thinning the inner part of the fenderwells some until it fits.

Is the track the front or rear track width? Also, can you post a pic of the front and rear suspensions? I've never had the Sidewinder, so I'm not familar with it. If the track is good, of course you have no problems, and if it fits very close to the fenders, you should be able to get away with just thinning the inner part of the fenderwells some until it fits.

The track of any car is measured from the center of the left tire to the center of the right tire. ;)

Track is probably a bit of a loose term. I'm just taking an overall measurement over the outside face of the tyres when mounted on the suspension. Made a mockup of the rear suspension last night and it is about 1 1/2mm too wide.

I'll need to come up with a plan to decrease the overall width by that much.

Thinking I might be best to cut the stub axles and lose the excess there. There seems to be a bit of give and take space there behind the wheels. Have to have some sort of reinforcing when re-mounting them though. Maybe some wire? and that would also give me some leeway in adjusting ride height.

Edited by AlanNZ