Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ghost of General Lee

I gotta be missing something here...

IIRC the original issues of Revell's '69 Charger had many components designed as loyal copies of the parts used on the Dukes cars including the push bars, rims, and seperated 0, 1, and 2 digits plus a Confederate flag on the decal sheet. What exactly is the fascination with exclusively using the (incorrect) MPC/AMT kit (made from worn-out tooling) to build your 36th consecutive General Lee replica?

George 53, I agree with your appraisal of the '68 and '69 Charger, the best looking car ever made by Chrysler, at least til the '71 Chargers and Satellites came along. A couple of years ago I researched and wrote a 'Subtle DIfferences' piece in Muscle Car Review, a Spotters Guide for '68-'69 Chargers, and used one of each year car, both restored by Phil LaChappelle, an expert in Ventura, Ca. His comments were that these cars were as poorly built as any musclecar, but were more cleverly designed. For instance in order to get the gap at the corners of the front bumpers correct you have to start with proper alignment of the rear opening gap of each front door.

Modelers have it easy!

Edited by Rick R

I used a original issue Revell 69 on my build, it had no push bar or wheels for the General Lee. It did have a roof flag, tho not the right size, and the door numbers, but that was it.

For nostalgic reasons I 'might' pick up this Ghost of General Lee kit. Still it's the same old kit re-issued. I'm planning on building a Revell General Lee soon. Other then the wheels, decals & push bar the General Lee is just a 69 Charger. Does anyone know of where I can get some 1/25 General Lee decals?

I'd say raid a buddy's spares box. I'm pretty sure somebody makes a decal set- but there have GOT to be many, many unused AMT General Lee decal sheets that could be yours simply for the asking!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I heard from a friend on another forum that he was told that this kit and the 1:16 scale one was both push back to late next month. I have a funny feeling that next month comes they will get push back again.

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse (or better, if you're a DOH fan)...another version, this time inside a collector's tin. :lol:

product.jpg

http://www.round2models.com/models/mpc/general-lee-tin

WoW, it is kind of nuts how they keep wearin' out this horse. I remember being a kid and seeing the kit in Woolworth's for the first time. I lost my little freakin' mind .. LOL

I also remember being disappointed at what was actually in the box , even back then it seemed very "basic". Now as an adult I won't part with a cent for this kit, or any "re-issue" of it.

It's a shame actually considering the popularity of the General Lee and the Dodge Charger itself in films. Think of how many movies this body style has been in ...

Deathproof, Vanishing Point (1997), Fast and Furious franchise, Bullit, Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry , All the DOH films and TV episodes , Blade franchise , etc etc . I know there are more

movies ... point being it's such a popular car I really think it shows how we as modelers will accept mediocrity, proven by the fact that these terrible DOH kits keep getting reissued AND

selling. I personally haven't bought one since 1981 and won't ever unless there's a serious re-tooling ...at least "Revellogram" got it close to correct ...

Round2 recognizes a kit they can profit from, they hold the licensing rights, and the tooling is still in good shape- why not reissue it again? :lol:

Let's not forget that kits which have movie or TV tie-ins are marketable, to both model builders and fans of the movie or TV show...and DOH re-runs are always viewable, so that means a whole new additional genration of viewers and potential customers.

Yes, the kit stinks, but I don't think the marketing plan for this re-issue involves multiple purchases by skilled, adult modelers. Most in that group bought the kit in '80, remembered how poor it is, and won't be fooled again.

I get it. My grandson (3) is just as jazzed up about Dukes re-runs as his father was when the same episodes were new, first-run! He's huge on hotwheels, Jeff Gordon cars, and Dukes anything.

And, he's no doubt not the only kid in the world that's a new generation fan of the Dukes!

Can you say 'ka-ching!'? Round 2 can.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

I get it. My grandson (3) is just as jazzed up about Dukes re-runs as his father was when the same episodes were new, first-run! He's huge on hotwheels, Jeff Gordon cars, and Dukes anything.

And, he's no doubt not the only kid in the world that's a new generation fan of the Dukes!

Can you say 'ka-ching!'? Round 2 can.

;)

I have enough "Dukes" story's to fill a book.My son was an avid fan for years. Owning a '69 from Grandma certainly lends it's self to many story's. It all started in her car port," Dad, can I play "Dukes" in Gramas car?"

I don't really want to get one of these Ghost of the General Lee kits but would like to see what one looks like.

I seen one, I'm not sure how many molds they are using but a friend of mine out in town got afew in the other day. Open one to see what they look liked and I dropped by. The kit he open the shell will need some prep work, the work I would say is medium maybe. The driver side quarter panel just behind the rear side window needed work.. and not just flesh remove either but some edge leveling ;) . Plus if you want the model to glow you can not paint it either. They even tell you this in the booklet. The kit is molded all in white and the ink marking words on the inside of the shell roof. Plus for you to get the model to glow the booklet said you have to expose the model to bright light to "charge" the shell up for it to glow. My friend left the shell set out on the counter in his shop for alittle while and then we took it down into the basement where it was dark at and nothing.So you must need to have the model right next to a bright light. It's basicly the same old General Lee kit but just molded in glow plastic is all and if you want it to glow you can't paint it. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I am dissapointed that it's not glowing orange plastic. I might have actually bought one then. (Believe it or not, it would have been my first kit of the General - love the show, never had the kit!)

I do have one of Cooter's Tow Truck kits though...

The only good thing about ANY General Lee is you can sell them to a General Lee fanatic for good money. I sold a 1/25 ERTL diecast

years ago to a guy who did a car in 1:1 even with the stupid horn for $125.00 Thank you very much.....

The only good thing about ANY General Lee is you can sell them to a General Lee fanatic for good money. I sold a 1/25 ERTL diecast

years ago to a guy who did a car in 1:1 even with the stupid horn for $125.00 Thank you very much.....

A guy at the local flea market buys the $15 DOH reissues from Hobby Lobby and resells them for $35. I always laugh when I pass his booth. The sad part is even though the kits are brand new people still buy them for that money.

• 3 weeks later...

I am dissapointed that it's not glowing orange plastic. I might have actually bought one then. (Believe it or not, it would have been my first kit of the General - love the show, never had the kit!)

I do have one of Cooter's Tow Truck kits though...

I think you're right on the orange plastic. I was disappointed seeing the other post showing the "white" plastic. Then the other day I was in a store and saw the kit,I almost bought it until I remembered it was white, and the box top showed a glowing "orange" car. False advertising?B)