Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thanks for the info, Ben. As to my missing parts, the fill tube and filter are buried behind the frame rail.

LOL, don't ya hate that!!! I added the fill tube detail and filter decal to detail it up on my little Cummins and it will all be hidden by the frame rail when I install it! :lol:

I am collecting information and details and have just bought a Workshop Manual for the 1693 of eBay (Is everything Clatterpillar so expensive?). It will take a couple of weeks to get here. Thats OK because I have a lot on at the moment. But hopefully I can muster enough information to start building a prototype. Maybe I will build 2, keep one and send one to Ben for perfecting for a mould. Its a lot simpler than the 12V Detroit that I scratch built and being in 1/25 scale I won't be able to put as much detail into it. Anyways when I get round to starting it I will start a new thread. If Ben gets one done before me thats great either way.

Dave

I am collecting information and details and have just bought a Workshop Manual for the 1693 of eBay (Is everything Clatterpillar so expensive?). It will take a couple of weeks to get here. Thats OK because I have a lot on at the moment. But hopefully I can muster enough information to start building a prototype. Maybe I will build 2, keep one and send one to Ben for perfecting for a mould. Its a lot simpler than the 12V Detroit that I scratch built and being in 1/25 scale I won't be able to put as much detail into it. Anyways when I get round to starting it I will start a new thread. If Ben gets one done before me thats great either way.

Dave

lol yes dave everything cat is expensive!!

dennis

• 2 weeks later...

The service manual for the 1693 arrived this week. There is a lot of great usefull information in it but there are several bits of the jigsaw missing. So I have bought a Operation manual as well to hopefully fill in the gaps. Had a look through the service manual this engine has a lot of components and looks fairly complex. It is also quite a size and weight and will definatley need an extended hood for it.

Dave

Jim,

I will build 2 of them. One for me and one for a pattern to cast from. I'm not that interested in doing the casting myself. So maybe I will ask Ben to have a look over it to be sure its good enough to cast. Then see who is interested in doing the casting. Its early days yet and I'm open to suggestions.

Dave

Jim,

I will build 2 of them. One for me and one for a pattern to cast from. I'm not that interested in doing the casting myself. So maybe I will ask Ben to have a look over it to be sure its good enough to cast. Then see who is interested in doing the casting. Its early days yet and I'm open to suggestions.

Dave

If it looks anything like that Detroit you built, you bet it will need to be cast!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, some good news on this. There's a guy here in Texas named Cass Kucera that has made some pretty incredible engine masters. The guy does pretty awesome work that easily compares with, if not rivals the engines that Clint Freeman produced. He is wanting to do a 1693!!! He's gathering info right now. I was going to see if anyone here that has pictures, drawings and and useful information would like to send it to Cass to help out?

It sounds like the mystery motor has been identified, but there was some question about the AMT D-8's engine. It should be pretty obvious if you do find that motor in a parts box, it is huge somthing like 1200 cid (20 liters +/-).

Here it is next to the AMT 1972 Chevy

doztender2.jpg

Hey guys, some good news on this. There's a guy here in Texas named Cass Kucera that has made some pretty incredible engine masters. The guy does pretty awesome work that easily compares with, if not rivals the engines that Clint Freeman produced. He is wanting to do a 1693!!! He's gathering info right now. I was going to see if anyone here that has pictures, drawings and and useful information would like to send it to Cass to help out?

Outstanding! Keep us posted. Pretty please.

ive been lookin trying to find one , lol closest was 4 hours away and that was a month ago that truck probly sold. i figured ol shellby elliot out of sikeston would have one but he dont right now. im still lookin though.lol if its somethin ya want it aint never easy!

dennis

I have a lot of information gathered but dimensional details are very few and far between. You really need to see the engine up close to get all the info you require. In many cases I have had to scale the photo's and drawings to get the info I need. Sometimes you find that when you put the parts together they don't look right so you have to make adjustments. This means that the engine will not be completely accurate since you are not working from accurate drawings. I have been working on my version of an engine and have the top half 95% complete. This is an interesting engine to build and bares no resemblance to a 3406 in any way shape or form so all parts need to be scratch built. The block is a very complex shape with many different contours and ribs. The cylinder head is one piece with a very prominent exhaust/turbocharger/aftercooler system. I will start a new topic soon and post some photo's.

Dave

• 8 years later...