Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gregg's Builds

Gregg

Here's one I just started.

The incredible clean Modelhaus '50 Cadillac Custom.

I just sprayed it the Testor's Purple new metallic paints, but am debating to paint the top white.

Or, split the car with a black top half, above the belt line.

Opinions, suggestions, and just tell me to get lost....

post-3-12782021529731_thumb.jpg

In my opinion, Gregg, I think the white top (just the roof panel) would make it stand out better than the two tone black and purple combo. Of course, though, I think some of those old Caddies like that had a like a satin brushed type stainless steel finish on the roof panel, didn't they? I think that with the black and purple would look killer!

I do really like just the white top option.

For rims, don't know yet

Have to see what I can snaggle from Mr. Aluminum (Bob Dudek)

Or, I should just check the parts boxes (a modeler's heaven, just ask the club members here who used to line up and pay admission to enter MCM-Ville)

Guest Mustang3.8

Gregg, if you need custom rims, I have two drawers full of wheels/tires. Great job on the paint, and I like the white top idea. B)

how bout a silver metal flake ? if you do paint it spit down the top half of the body,you may need to add a 3rd color to seperate the 1st two colors, maybe something thin between the bottom and top color, if that makes any since ??

Hi, Gregg.

Picking colors does cause quite a quandry sometimes, doesn't it? I sometimes find that to be the most difficult part of the build.

I like the idea of a lilac metallic roof with a dark purple lower body.

I don't know what you had in mind for paint, but in the Testors line, I think you could achieve it by mixing a red, blue, white and a small amount of gray, as lilacs (at least around here,) all have a silvery-gray tinge to them. A good starting ratio might be something like 3:3:5:a few drops.

If you're aiming for metal-flake color, you might want to use the Metal Flake red and/or blue as a start, or mix in a small amount of silver, possibly in place of the gray. The key is to get the lilac color to a light purple.

Alternately, if you still have any of the purple from the first go-around, separate some out and mix in white (and, again, possibly a small amount of gray,) until the desired color is mixed.

Good luck.

Charlie Larkin

Is this lilac?

post-3-12782345203585_thumb.jpg

Is there a spray that is close?

Me an mixing colors don't get along

Yes, Charlie, picking out colors/schemes is THE hardest part of the build

That's why I like to find or see a real car, and replicate it.

It's so much easier for those two remaining brain cells of mine....

For the rims, I think I have enough to last twenty life times, just don't which way to go yet.

Hey Gregg smile.gif

A couple of suggestions.

The stock bodied look with a chopped top, great paint colors, and a full compliment of emblems and trim is getting more popular lately, and I love doing some of mine like that. Maybe a late-model driveline and interior too(Yours is probably a slammer??).

Dark colors seem to get lost on a contest table, but bright colors done well draw people in to see more. If that were my "Caddy", I'd get a large can (Only way it comes) of Duplicolor tangerine meataflake, and some clear coat for the body color, and then do the top in white. Spend some time doing a great job on foiling everything very cleanly, as well as doing a great interior maybe a two-tone in creme and beige, add "Caddy Sombrero's" from the Revell '49 Merc kit and use the Caddy decals that come in the kit for the centers of the Sombrero's(Little details make a modl really "POP"), with super-wide whites, slam it low, nose nearly touching the ground, and I guarantee you'll get compliments.

Here's my ol' standby I really like, and have another similar one going for the future.

2010_0220Photobucket10022-1.jpg