Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Great Ice Storm of '98

dptydawg

My inspiration for this diorama was the ice storm that distroyed much of the power grid of Eastern Canada. I based this scene on several different press photos. This praticular line crew is replacing broken poles and getting ready to restring new wires.

The pole truck is a DG Productions GMC Top Kick, the backhoe is an Ertl John Deere 310. The figures are composits from various kits.

I used clear Envirotex resin and water based Varithane for the ice.

GIS-LOOKINGNWTROMPOLE.jpg

GISLOOKINGSSE.jpg

LOOKINGSOUTH.jpg

GIS-LOOKINGWSW.jpg

GISLOOKINGNW.jpg

Thanks for looking

Carl

good stuff!! looks great! I live in niagara falls ontario and I saw some of the craziest things happen when we got hit with all that ice. I was up in fort erie helping out with tree/branch removal. it was bloody cold. I think your diorama is a great example of what crews were doing on almost every road in the town for weeks and weeks

good job!

Thanks guys for the kind words. I worked for years in the generation side of the electrical industry but always had great respect for the line crews. People usually only think of them when their lights don't work. I'm glad that you folks appreciate the subject matter. Before that storm hit I was puzzled about how to work that pole truck into a diorama.

Its a bit late now, but I probably should have asked if there is a limit to the number of pictures per posting? If I exceeded the limit , "Sorry"

Thanks

Carl Avis

Thats about right Carl..you even got the line truck grounded , p-line , nose bags and pots on the poles , real looking distribution crew on storm work,can you tell a little more on the auger line truck. Years ago I worked for L.E.Myers , and would like to do a bucket or digger derrick...super work...thanks

thanks for the kind words, Ken

the Topkick is from DG Productions. It is pretty much stock. It was originally a promo for Comed??. I have a bucket truck too that I haven't done anything with yet. I did change the battery box and added better mirrors and tires. I made a few mods to the auger as well. originally the auger was fixed to the end of the boon. I seperated it so it could move independently. also the clamps on the head were fixed so I made them pivot and added a ram to operate it. the operators seat was changed to a more realistic one.

I don't know if they still have pole trucks available but heres a link to their bucket truck

http://www.toysbydg.com/detail.asp?prod=10...457212150740577

another shot of my pole truck

LOOKINGEAST.jpg

Thanks

Carl Avis

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very impressive work. Almost looks real.

Looks real enough that I can see myself busting my can on that sheet of ice that they're calling a road... I worked in the utility field for 10 years, both buried and aerial and spent many nights and weekends on storm damage repair. Carl nailed the conditions quite well with this one... gave me a shiver when I saw it... B)

Wow! A three year old thread comes back from the dead!!! :D

Soo, What exactly are you saying?

Once topics go into the past, people can no longer comment on it?????

Really?

Excellent looking Diorama.

I get the chills just looking at it.

Excellent detail, I have a few of the DG toy Trucks and can really see what you've done.

The people look very good.

Great details all around.

Great job and A Big Thanks to all the people that keep my lights on. :lol:

• 1 month later...

wow i remember the Ice storm, at the time i was living in Toronto and my dad was travelling to Kingston every week during this!!! i moved here 6 months after the storm and they were still cleaning up after it!!! wow amazing Dio, if you are even still here!!!!