Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big toys need big art...right?

GrandpaMcGurk

'Bout a year or so ago I retired, kinda.

Did the fishing, traveling and all that. Cabin fever was setting in when a got a call from a bud. He said come work me......I replied, nah, don't want to go back to the grind. Anyway an arrangement was struck, I go in when at my own chosen speed (SLOW) and can tinker with cars, drive 'em to shows and all that good stuff.

Dream job right......so where's the art?

They wanted a huge mural on the wall that separates the 17,000 sq. ft. showroom from the detail and work shop areas with no idea of what they wanted.

The guys that deep pocket this gig are my age and hard core Rock' & Roll, rod, classic & muscle car types so I proposed a '60's era drive-in theater in a perspective that would flow from the 1:1 showroom floor up onto to the wall mural.

I'll start by posting some older pics first and there will be a lot of pics of the cars in the show room mixed in that you may want to save for build reference....heck it's all art to me, love those old rides!

Here's the wall under construction....

wall002.jpg

More pics soon...

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Hi,

Not sure what you mean? Call me thick. Are you doing the mural? Or is it done now?

Thanks.

You're not thick, more like I didn't explain very well. The mural is just about done now....just some fussy work left to do, but I'll post some of the in progress shots and the cool cars that lead up to where it's at.

Most of my large renderings have been automotive, no surprise there.

Here's one I did 'bout 10 years ago for a local oil change joint.

valvolinemural.jpg

Yo Don - this place is in Ocala? Can you provide a street address? I need to go look at what they have for sale.

Jim, yes it's in Ocala, not far from Silver Springs. If you want to go stumble around the showroom one day, hook up with me via email and I'll meet you there. I'll give you the nickle tour, I have keys to the place......but be warned, leave your check book at home. We also do occasional Rod shows etc. So when the urge strikes give me a yell. I've been toying with the idea of having a full size car show and including a model car contest.....not sure yet, this area could sure use it, we'll see.

American Classic Motor Cars

1 Aspen Rd. Ocala, Fl 34480

352 307-1968

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Well Don every time I see somethin' like this I always check my pants...Nope still no deep pockets for me :lol:

Don't feel bad Brian with the economy the way it is......I'm finding lint rather than coins in my pockets as well.

I just hooked up with Crazy Jim at the shop, gave him the tour and I think I saw a sparkle in his eye as we parted.....great guy.

It's always a pleasure to meet MCM members and put a face with the posts.

BTW Jim....I'll keep you posted as to the status of the future " on-site model car show".....you may want to get involved in it, pay sucks but someone has to do it. I just think it would be great to have a model car gig right in the showroom with the full size stuff on display as well. :lol:

It was terrrific meeting you Don and I appreciate the tour of the American Classic Motor Cars building. I tried to wipe my drool off the paint on a couple of them. I'd be more than happy to provide you with any assistance I can with a model car show. I gave you my card so you have all my contact info. Maybe you could get "Big Daddy" Don Garlits to drop on over. Or how about John Travolta? Both of them live only a few miles away.

currentmuralpics001.jpg

currentmuralpics002.jpg

currentmuralpics003.jpg

currentmuralpics004.jpg

currentmuralpics005.jpg

currentmuralpics006.jpg

That's all for now, since these pics were taken I've added the speaker posts and more detail on the cars.

Jim took a bunch of pictures while he was at the shop...perhaps he'll post a few of the mural in it's current state...if not, I'll take some more pics the next time I go in. The mural may expand to cover a couple more adjacent walls adding a ticket booth and concession stand...we'll see.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nick....I drove that Road Runner to Big Daddy's show (2 day affair).....it averaged 4 to 5 miles to a gallon.

She's running headers and a 4:10 rear. Believe me it's scary fast! About the only thing I couldn't pass on my way to the show was gas stations....think I hit every one from the shop to the event.

BTW that car sold for "huge bucks"!

Nick....I drove that Road Runner to Big Daddy's show (2 day affair).....it averaged 4 to 5 miles to a gallon.

She's running headers and a 4:10 rear. Believe me it's scary fast! About the only thing I couldn't pass on my way to the show was gas stations....think I hit every one from the shop to the event.

BTW that car sold for "huge bucks"!

Driving a vintage RR must be so cool! :)

It sure doesn't hurt much Harry. It's kinda funny at times......over time you tend to forget little things......for instance, although these cars go like stink, turning & stopping them is a whole 'nuther ball game.

Took a an earlier 60s Vette out to have tires put on it ....remember G.M. peanut butter drive? The PowerGlide was 2 speeds.....slow and slower. :D