Model Cars Magazine Forum

'72 Cutlass Beater

Chuck Most

I've seen the Revell Hurst/Olds done up as a beautiful replica stocker, converted to a hardtop with an AMT '70 Monte Carlo roof (I've got one of those on the bench myself!), and I even know a local guy who's building one as a pro-tourer. But I've never seen one done as a beater, and since it's been a very long time since I built a full-blown beater, I thought why not use the new Revell Olds kit?

IMG_53331-vi.jpg

IMG_53341-vi.jpg

IMG_53351-vi.jpg

IMG_53361-vi.jpg

IMG_53381-vi.jpg

IMG_53401-vi.jpg

IMG_53411-vi.jpg

Yeah- I probably should have thrashed the interior a bit more, and maybe added a few dents and dings, but for a two-evening build, I am not going to complain too much.

Oh- there's no engine- I robbed the 455 for another project! :D

It looks great. Only thing I would say coming from a 1:1 builder is without a motor you should try to pull the tires (by tweeking the front suspension)downwards and in a little. Because once that big block is pulled out the front end raises probably 2 to 3 inches. Then it has the old gasser look which is what they look like without an engine. Like this (though not a real good pic:

th_15563826-418-1972-OLDS-CUTLASS-72-H.jpg

See how the tires clear the fenderwells by at least 2-3 inches?

Edited by ARTEMIS1759

Excellent, but where's the top boot?

It blew off along US-127 back around '95, we went back and looked for it, but it was dark and we couldn't find it! :)

It looks great. Only thing I would say coming from a 1:1 builder is without a motor you should try to pull the tires (by tweeking the front suspension)downwards and in a little. Because once that big block is pulled out the front end raises probably 2 to 3 inches. Then it has the old gasser look which is what they look like without an engine. Like this (though not a real good pic:

th_15563826-418-1972-OLDS-CUTLASS-72-H.jpg

See how the tires clear the fenderwells by at least 2-3 inches?

Right... but this model represents a car with an engine, even though it does not actually have one. Kind of like an old Craftsman series kit, you know? And I might actually add an engine later on, so I can weather the engine compartment and engine to match the body's condition. But yeah- I've got a '70 Monte Carlo model somewhere, with the hood hinges standing at attention and the nose way up in the air- just wasn't the look I wanted with THIS particular kit! :unsure:

Or, I could just throw a tarp over the interior...As described in Chapter 14 in my upcoming book "The Lazy Hack's Guide to Building and Detailing Model Cars". :) I was actually planning on doing that early on, then setting the car up on an AMT trailer to make it look like an old project car. But I've already built 20 or 30 other models just like that! (And I'm running short on trailers...)

Truth is, though, I still haven't quite perfected my ripped up seat technique yet. Hopefully, I'll be able to do some shredded, mouse-strewn seats that look convincing soon enough!

Right... but this model represents a car with an engine, even though it does not actually have one. Kind of like an old Craftsman series kit, you know? And I might actually add an engine later on, so I can weather the engine compartment and engine to match the body's condition. But yeah- I've got a '70 Monte Carlo model somewhere, with the hood hinges standing at attention and the nose way up in the air- just wasn't the look I wanted with THIS particular kit! ;)

That's cool. Still looks good though.

The weathering on the body looks really convincing. Not to dogpile but the interior could use a little wear to help balance things out. Maybe some strips of bmf on the seats to replicate duct tape repairs and a little dirt rubbed into the pattern of the seats. Looks good.

It kills me to see an Olds Cutlass beat up like this,because i love them,but the work is great!Very nicely done....As for the seats,i made some rips a few years ago using masking tape and cotton swab strands...Not perfect,and this could use a lot of tweaking,but here is a pic of my truck seat...seat2.jpg

Again.beautiful work...