Model Cars Magazine Forum

Puddingwrestler's F100 Bucket

A while ago I had one of those blinding flashes on inspiration which reind me that I am a: a modeler and b: insane (a very happy combination!)

The idea went roughly like this: In the early days of hot rodding, the T-Bucket was popular. It was the body of a model T roadster pickup, mounted on a hot chassis, with a socking HUGE motor out the front, and a shortened pickup bed or fuel tank pout the back. What would happen if you repeated this formula with a later ford pickup? Say an F1 or F100?

The idea languished for a while due to my inability to find an F100 model, but I finally located one on eBay for $60. It came with three free models. (Okay, it's one of those AMT four packs, but since I only really wanted the F100, I like to say it came with three free kits - 67 Stand, 57 300C and 62 T Bird btw)

So, the idea is as follows: turn the F100 into a roadster, remove all hood etc. leaving only the grille shell and readiator, lower it a lot and shorten the chassis. Place HUGE motor out the front. Refer to it as 'F-Bucket'.

I have refused to allow my lack of any kind of grasp of the mechanics of chassis design stand in my way - I've Z'ed the front and back, channeled the body slightly and sectioned the grille surround. Originally, I was going to use the grille was an AMT 64 Mercury Marauder re-issue, but I sectioned the grille shell a little too far, and the mercury grille was too wide to start with, so now I plan to use the bottom part of a 51 Chevy grille which I also have spare. The F100 comes with buckets in a tasetful 70s pattern, but I want traditional seating, so the stock front bench fo a promodeller 48 Ford convertible is going in. It'll probably need minor modifications to fit. The interior is a bit plain, so I'll be fitting tuck and roll.

Anyways, here's a rough mockup showing where I am at and how it'll be arranged. Probably.

fbucket_mockup1.JPG

I like where this is going. I have a '70s Ford truckster started and a '53 body slated to become one as well. The '70s has been narrowed, channeled, sectioned and the hood along with it.

Are you going to hack of most of the bed and put a fuel tank back there? Got any pics of the nose?

Here was my start, if your interested:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21900&st=0&p=197211&hl=truckster&fromsearch=1&#entry197211

Edited by torinobradley

Are you going to hack of most of the bed and put a fuel tank back there? Got any pics of the nose?

To be honest, I'm not sure what'll go on the back. I was originally intending fuel tank, but there's a fair bit of space back there meaning there'd be a lot of exposed chassis rail, which I don't really want. I'm not sure the stock bed would work. I might need to narrowit , shorten it and fit a tonneau or something.

I'll get pics of the grille next time I update pics. It's a real mess at the moment since I hit it with putty, but have not sanded it back yet.

I've figured out what to do with the rear in another of those flashes of inspiration. I was thinking about using cycle fenders over the wheels, but held the kit's stock fenders up to check them out anyway. THen I got hit by inspiration again. I will be using the stock fenders either side of a shortened pickup bed. The fenders will be moved forwards so thier leading edge is flush with the rear of the cab. They will also be moved upwards to clear the rear wheels, ending up flush with the underside of the lip around the bed. I actually toyed with the idea of removing the bed all together and using a plate over the tops of the fenders to form a car-like rear end with boot (trunk) but dropped the idea.

The bed will be slightly shorter than the fenders so they project behind it a little, and the lights will be fitted to the bed, which will have a tonneau and rollbar.

This is not the really big part of the idea.

The really big part is removing the windshield completely and fitting a frame-less, very low 'roadster' style wind shield, similar to those fitted to various late 50s/early 60s concept cars. Just a flat panel of backwards angled glass really.

Oh, and I've used my dremel to widen the grille opening ot get the chevy grille to fit nicely. As promised, pics tonight.

Looking good! Funny, the frontend for mine is a narrowed '53 grill...

I'd bob the tail and the frame for that monster. Oh, and where you getting cycle fenders that wide for the rear?

I have some '70s Ford dog-dish caps in my stash and realized, they'd look great on mine. Looking at yours stuck that bit of inspiration into my head. I might have to pull mine out again.

Keep us updated on this roadster.