Model Cars Magazine Forum

A-Team Van

Railfreak78

Hi there guys and here we go again. I have the restoring bug and next on the bench is a van that was in a huge box of junk ( I guess kid built ) models. All the models have nail polish I think brushed on and parts glued where they do not go. I have encountered hubcaps and suspension parts on engines, windows from the wrong cars glued to the outside of the bodies and much more. This was not to awefully bad so I tossed it into the purple pond and this is the result. More to come. DSC03951.jpgDSC03950.jpgDSC03949.jpgDSC03948.jpg

Edited by Railfreak78

Definetly more project than I would ever care to take on . That G M C shouldn't be too terribly hard to find at a show . Considering the factthat A M T's R C re-popped it not too long ago . I wish ya the very best , I really do. Ed Shaver

I dont know bro I wish you well with one :blink: .....It's just me tho I hate any kind of molested plastic, if i cant get it fresh off the tree I'd just assume let it stay someone eles problem. but im sure you can turn this ugly duckling into atleast a decent swan. LOL ! :D

Your description of that box of models sounds like that demented kid from Toy Story had them.... he was great as dismembering and switching things around, putting pieces where they were never designed to go. I know whatyou mean about getting the bug and taking on project the size of Mount Rushmore when really, common sense dictates that it is a lost cause. But oh the feeling of achievement when you are done. I say if it turns you on and makes you happy then go for it! When it's done, it'll be a lot better than it is now and it's another old model saved. :D:blink::)

Brian, I wish you luck on the van if you do decide to restore it. At least you don't have as much work ahead as I do with this one. B)

HPIM2262.jpg

HPIM2263.jpg

Believe it or not, I found this at my LHS! They had bought some old kits from an estate sale or something, and I seen it one the shelf screaming "Take me home!", so I asked the guy to get it off it's high shelf. After I opened it and seen this, I got sick! At least, after the guy at the HS seen it, he told me to take it home, no charge!

By the way, I'm not trying to rob your thread, I just wanted to show you there's even worse builders out there than the one who put the van together! B)

Hey HWY. Davezinn was looking for that same kit.

Yeah, I seen that, but I think he wanted that was complete and UNASSEMBLED!!! B)B) He would probably freak if I offered him this one! B)

Man, I love to tackle those two projects, those kind of things are right up my alley. I like to take something that alot of people wouldn't want to even tackle because of the looks of it and then rebuild it and make it better then ever and then repost a before and after photo and leave the folks eat there hearts LOL out as what the model transform into B)

With afew days of work that A-Team van would be back in shape easy. Romell, I'm shock at you bro, look at the work you did/ doing on your recent build and then to say what you did! LOL, man I thought something like that would be a walk in the park for you! LOL

Keep the progress photos coming please B) as I'll be watching.

I agree with m0parman...one man's trash is another man's treasure. I admire someone who has the patience to rework someone else's mistakes. To me, it doesn't look that bad...a little 400 to knock down the glue, some filler and a couple pieces of acetate for the windows could turn it around. B)

Good luck!

Thanks for feedback on both sides! My main worry is that crack where the glue stuff is streaked. I don't want that coming back and through new paint. I know a lot of guys wont touch this stuff but I like it. I find it rewarding and a challange. To hear guys say they wont touch something started makes me wonder what gems in my eyes were trash in theirs ;) Anyways Being this is a beater I think I will be doing some detail work as I go too. Might as well try a few things. I always enjoy the feedback so thanks again guys!

Brian, I wish you luck on the van if you do decide to restore it. At least you don't have as much work ahead as I do with this one. :)

HPIM2262.jpg

HPIM2263.jpg

Believe it or not, I found this at my LHS! They had bought some old kits from an estate sale or something, and I seen it one the shelf screaming "Take me home!", so I asked the guy to get it off it's high shelf. After I opened it and seen this, I got sick! At least, after the guy at the HS seen it, he told me to take it home, no charge!

By the way, I'm not trying to rob your thread, I just wanted to show you there's even worse builders out there than the one who put the van together! ;)

Hey Highway I will get a couple pics of one I did and messed up and have to finish but I just got one of those kits. I'm not sure if everything is there but if you need parts maybe we can work a deal. The one I just got only has some black marks on some parts. Purple power will clear it up.

Hey Highway I will get a couple pics of one I did and messed up and have to finish but I just got one of those kits. I'm not sure if everything is there but if you need parts maybe we can work a deal. The one I just got only has some black marks on some parts. Purple power will clear it up.

You have a PM, sir!

Ok so after a lot of stripping and some sanding I have this down to what you see here. I have some bondo setting now. I know it will need more. I am going to stray away from the A-team as I could not save the wing, brush gaurd, and front bumper. So I am thinking of just doing a custom. I know I can still save the A-team by using parts I have but I'm conflicted. More to come... DSC04248.jpgDSC04249.jpgDSC04251.jpgDSC04253.jpgDSC04252.jpgDSC04254.jpgDSC04256.jpgDSC04257.jpg

Here is a small update of what I got done today watching the Nascar race. I finally sanded it down ( not fine) and got some primer on it to hit the bad spots. I also have something planned for this critter that I have never done before and pray it works but thats a different day. I have a lot of work left to do but this project is not sitting still. :D Enjoy DSC04322.jpgDSC04331.jpgDSC04325.jpgDSC04328.jpgDSC04323.jpgDSC04329.jpg

Nice save, Brian. I like the idea proposed of a custom van. I could see a fogged blue with silver scheme and some of those big heavily-tinted windows in the side. I think that'd look pretty good and be a good save for this one. Or just a plain old panel van for a business; something you don't see too much in modeling.

Charlie Larkin

Wow. This is truly a back from teh grave build.

Has anyone ever considered building one of these vans -errr...- stock (please don't ban me for using the 's'-word in here)?

Wouldn't that be a totally novel way of trying new things? Imagine. Just the van of your local plumber or laundry service.