Model Cars Magazine Forum

hi again guys, got another question for you veterans. What would you wipe your models down with just before you shoot your model with clear? Like what solvent cleaner or acrylic cleaner of any kind to remove lets say some sticky residue of some kind. I can't find any BMF locally so i have resorted to the aluminum tape from the hardware and after applying and removing the trimmed metal sometimes the glue gets smudged on the paint and i'm leary to use anything yet to clean it off so i can shoot my clear.

thanks guys

Matthew, I've got to say that you are a bigger man than I. I would be very leery of using adhesive backed foil for masking or instead of BMF. I'd be afraid of it lifting the paint.

What you are using for paint determines what you can clean up with. You didn't specify.

If you are using enamels or lacquers try starting with 70% rubbing alcohol. Even Windex has alcohol in it. Don't use it on acrylics. Next try GooBGone on lacquers but not on enamels.

A true polish such as Novus No.2 or some of the Meguiar's products can be painted over. Do not use anything that contains waxes, such as The Final Treatment, prior to clearing.

I realize I gave you as many "don'ts" as "do" but I hope to get you started in the right direction.

Steve- thanks for the reply. I've never had any bad experiences yet with this adhesive backed foil and its better than nothing and it makes the kit pop just that bit more. I've tried some windex on a cotton swab and it got rid of the little glue marks. thanks for all those don'ts lol

Mike- thanks for the tips